Life After Little Else......or Rambles with Alphie!

Liz Ju and Jack travel in our new campervan Alphie, to tour Orkney, or sometimes sooth.

Travels with a cauliflower

We had an interesting time on Santa Maria with Susan and Andrew from Andromeda, during which they hired a car and we did two days of touring the island. The map of it looks a lot like that of Australia! The eastern end of the island was very hilly, and to descend to the villages on the east coast there was only a death-defying gravel-ridden track zig-zagging down the cliff. Andrew is a terrific driver, but I had my eyes shut a lot of the time, watching my life flashing in front of me as we descended.

We left at five o'clock in the morning on Tuesday, in the dark, and spent most of the day motoring north towards Sao Miguel, where Ponta Delgada is the capital of the archipelago, and there is a large marina where we are to leave the boat for a few days while we travel west by air to Flores. Sue doesn't like the holding there, so flying was a good way to see another island, possibly two, as Corvo is close by and probably reachable by ferry.

On Wednesday morning we set off with cabin baggage, one hold bag, and a cauliflower. We had bought it to have for our evening meal on Tuesday, but in the event we ate out in a marina restaurant, to the sound track of Portugal being gubbed by Spain in the world cup.

So Sue had it in a carrier bag, then decided to put it in her backpack. But first we were put on the airport bus, then after a delay, taken off it again. The flight had been delayed due to adverse weather conditions, apparently, so off for a coffee........

Flight cancelled, but airline provided us with a hotel and taxi and meals vouchers so we are having another day in Ponta Delgada before trying to get to Flores again tomorrow. Watch this space!

Comments