Life After Little Else......or Rambles with Alphie!

Liz Ju and Jack travel in our new campervan Alphie, to tour Orkney, or sometimes sooth.

Little Detour!

We set out from Lochaline in sunshine, with not very much wind, then none at all, then lots. The engine was on, off, the sails were up, rolled away, up again. It kept us busy! The tide was with us as we barrelled down the Sound of Mull towards Duart Castle, crossing the path of the car ferry on the way. As we headed out of the Sound, however, the wind increased, so we put reefs in the sails, and altered course to head for Puilladobhrain (pronounced Pulldoran, pool of the otters), a favourite anchorage for west coast yotties.
The wind was not forecast to be strong, but nevertheless suddenly it was, and we had fun trying to stay on course as the spring tide met the oncoming wind and gave us surf like Bondi Beach. Little Else definitely does not like the nodding donkey style of sailing, bows plunged into each following wave, showers of spray everywhere, and seemingly no way to make it all stop and go away!
We stood it for a while, then decided to turn and head for Oban instead. Instantly everything was better, and amazingly the tide seemed still to be with us, as our SOG - speed over the ground - was still 6 or 7 knots!
Into a welcome berth in the marina, where we booked in then went for a lovely seafood lunch - grilled oysters with cream, garlic and parmesan - yum!

We'll see what the weather does tomorrow!

This is Connor playing on a swing a couple of weeks ago

Comments