Life After Little Else......or Rambles with Alphie!

Liz Ju and Jack travel in our new campervan Alphie, to tour Orkney, or sometimes sooth.

Crosshaven to Kilmore Quay and beyond

We had a brilliant Cobb-roasted chicken for dinner on our second evening in Crosshaven, after a long walk in the morning over the hill to see Roches Point lighthouse, and walk back round the coast. That proved a little difficult as we missed the route of the scenic walk and wound up on a precipitous path above the beach and a danger zone with the threat of trespassers being prosecuted! No harm done however, we found a steep stony path back up off the beach, and had an early picnic lunch overlooking Cobh harbour, where a cruise ship was spending the day.

The next morning we set off early to head north east towards Kilmore Quay, a small harbour on the extreme end of the south coast of Ireland. The drive was quite long and rather tedious, no
spectacular scenery, but then we had been spoiled by the west coast.
The harbour at Kilmore Quay hadn't changed much, except the old lightship museum had gone, and was replaced by a plaza and a jetty for the ferry to the Saltee Islands. We took Jack on to the beach to give him some exercise as he had been stuck in the van for nearly three hours, and then carried on to a campsite close to Rosslare. It filled up dramatically around dinner time,mbut before then we got settled in, had a nap, and then went for a stimulating walk down to the beach and back by a circuitous route through farm tracks and side roads.

A lovely sunny day again, this must be summer!

Comments