Soldiering on with the paintbrush and soon the roller on a pole, to get at those inaccessible spaces aft of the engine. Oh joy.
Meantime carrying out a long and painful feasibility study on how to shoehorn a holding tank of either rigid or flexible construction into scarce locker space we haven't got. Nobody makes them small enough for our boat, and even the smallest ones need a huge footprint. Work in progress there.
Also deciding that the water tanks have been with us for ten years and probably some time beofre that, so should be ready to split seams any time now. So we're getting new ones, made to measure.
So just to cheer ourselves up and remember the good sailing last summer, here is a photograph David Stone on Nova took of us as we had just raised the new Rocna anchor and were motoring out of Canna harbour, in late June or early July. Note the small black creature in the dashing red lifejacket, rushing up the deck to keep in touch with all developments.
May 2008 can't come soon enough chaps!
Taking a week off from Little Else's refit to acquire a radio certificate I may need if we decide to go for SSB. It has been a hard week, trying to assimilate lots of information of a fairly technical nature, but they tell me I will need this so here I am.
Only the practical part to complete, so fingers crossed!
Then it'll be back to Ardfern to carry on the good work sorting out the bilge and all the pipework! Can't wait!
Tom and Sus helped us offload huge amounts of kit during the last weekend in September, and have offered us space in their basement for everything from the boom to the cushions, the barbecue and the windvane.
SInce she came ashore I have been using every spare moment to get to grips with the refit, starting with mopping out the bilge with Pampers (wonderful nappies, they soak up iidirty water and old gunge with great abandon and efficiency). I discovered an old screwdriver down there in the black water totally covered in carbon, caked on to its stainless steel shaft, while it was grafted on to the copper strum-box of the manual bilge pump. Stray current is the verdict, so I'm going to try and track that down, together with the exhaust leak which must be responsible for the black water and sooty deposits in the bilge.
Meantime I turned my attention to the water tanks, as they have not been cleaned out since we got the boat, and we want them to be OK for our trip. The progress on this work can be found in the Refit album.
The photo is of Sam Brooke climbing up the rope ladder we gave him, on his Pilot Cutter Ezra, on a brilliant afternoon in late September.