Life After Little Else......or Rambles with Alphie!

Liz Ju and Jack travel in our new campervan Alphie, to tour Orkney, or sometimes sooth.

Are we in Nigeria?

Hello readers

We have been amazed at the number of people who thought we were off to Nigeria, when we mentioned Lagos! This could possibly be the 'original' Lagos, here in Portugal, which is where we are, for the avoidance of doubt, but there are now umpteen in the world. We learned from a local paper this week that the mayors of at least five Lagoses (the plural of Lagos?) meet every year and chat away to each other about being Lagos. They are from France, Greece, Italy, Portugal, and this year a new entry from Mexico. They take this very seriously, and base school visits and other social/commercial contacts on the commonality of name. Google 'Lagos' and you will see what I mean.

We are settling in to the lifestyle of the liveaboard here, have joined the local Navigators' Net, which organises a lot of activities for wintering yotties, check out the website at www.lagosnavigators.net and you will see that it is all organised by one active webmaster, Terry, who has done an amazing job.

More random jottings, as we carry on living here and settle in to life in warmth and sunshine (sorry folks, but this was the original motivation!)

Today we discovered that our outboard engine has probably suffered its final breakdown. Even a new sparkplug could not coax a cough out of its weary innards. Possibly the starboard tack thrashing we had on the way from Crosshaven to Camaret put a considerable dollop of seawater into it, which of course is not good for any engine. Fortunately it is not too far to go to the diesel pontoon, so I rowed there this morning, and fetched back an amazing 90 litres of diesel, to top up our tank for the winter. Another little job done!

Comments