Life After Little Else......or Rambles with Alphie!

Liz Ju and Jack travel in our new campervan Alphie, to tour Orkney, or sometimes sooth.

Pressure Cooker Bread

Apart from going to the gym and going swimming, there hasn't been much activity lately for me. Ju has been to A Rocha a few times, and we went a walk last Wednesday from Silves to Estombar, along the river valley.

Over the last few days though we have been experimenting with bakinf bread in the pressure cooker. I reckoned this was a fairly good idea, as 45 minutes of running a gas ring at a peep is a lot cheaper than running the oven for the same, or a longer time. So in went the first half of the Lidl Ciabatta mix, duly kneaded, rizz, knocked back etc. After 45 minutes the smell of carbon was overwhelming, and I opened the (non-pressurised) lid with some trepidation. Our friends Lesley and Trevor were aboard at the time, so this was a moment of truth! The loaf looked great on the top, but its bottom was black and, when it cooled, I cut the bottom layer away. But it didn't really get a chance to cool, as slices were cut, buttered and marmaladed, and disappeared rapidly down four throats. A success! Opinion was that next time I should use a trivet.

Some excavation in the pots locker a day or so later located this item, and part two of the Ciabatta mix met the same fate as the first. It didn't rise quite so well this time, but the bottom was not black, at least not all over, only where bits of it had tried to peek through the three holes in the trivet. Altogether a successful operation, and one I will repeat on a routine basis. Maybe next time I will do proper strong flour and yeast from scratch though!

Comments