Life After Little Else......or Rambles with Alphie!

Liz Ju and Jack travel in our new campervan Alphie, to tour Orkney, or sometimes sooth.

Sailing!

Just back from a four-day sail on Suerte, a lovely 38 foot yacht whose owners, David and Sue, we met in the marina last year, and who had kindly invited us along on this trip. Andy and Pam on Grand Slam had also asked us along on two day-sails from the marina, and they were fun too, but this was serious sailing, stopping in Albufeira marina the first night, and anchoring off the island of Culatra the second night. We went ashore on Culatra and spent a day walking its huge clear sandy beach, watching the cockle-fishermen tease the catch out of the sand at the edge of the sea. The island is part of a national park, and the wild flowers were in bloom. The saltmarshes had some wild birds but not many, and the inland side of the island had drying lagoons where bilge keelers and catamarans could just perch. We found one in its own lagoon, and a little 'garden' which the liveaboards had created out of driftwood and plants, What a nice way to live, but what a long way from the shops! The island has only recently acquired its own water supply. We had lunch in one of the restaurants, and went back aboard.

The next day we had a good sail and made it as far as Albufeira again, and stayed the night in the marina. In the morning we decided to go for it, as the weather is due to deteriorate over the next few days. When we went out it was sunny, but huge storm clouds were gathering, and a fluky wind that went from 8 knots to 47 in the squalls, made us decide to turn back to our starting point. The combination of the wind and a lumpy sea meant we could make no real progress under sail towards our destination, so the sensible decision was what we did. A squall caught us just outside the harbour wall, running under staysail alone, and we stuck in a gybe to ensure we were well clear of the harbour until it had passed.

Ju and I decided to come back by bus and leave Sue and David to bring her back when weather permits. But what a fantastic start to the season!

Comments