Race Lochaber

05 September 2012 | Lake Superior & Back Over One Month
04 July 2012 | Milwaukee to S. Haven
26 November 2011 | Lake Michigan
22 June 2011 | OFF MUSKEGON
09 June 2011 | MUSKEGON
22 May 2011 | Still on the Damn Hard, Muskegon
04 May 2011
31 March 2011 | Muskegon
22 March 2011 | Offshore Beam Reach To Pt. Wash
22 March 2011 | On the Hard in Muskegon

SUPERIOR VOYAGE

05 September 2012 | Lake Superior & Back Over One Month
Crew members Julie, Randy, Jake, Tammy and Steve helped deliver Lochaber up to DeTour, up St. Mary's River to Whitefish Point, then on to Grand Marais, Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore and Grand Island and her fantastic anchorages for a great voyage this summer. The voyage included passages up and back to wilderness Michipecotin and Caribou Islands, and other Canadian N. Shore anchorages. Lochaber dropped anchor at Caribou Island, Brule Point's amazing Inner Harbor and at Gargantua, and she cruised down the Tug Channel past Devil's Chair Island and across Old Woman Bay. All spectacular Superior scenery. Enjoy the photos! First one is The Big Girl at anchor in the lee of Caribou Island at sunset: Jake Tracy Photo.

QUEENS CUP 2012

04 July 2012 | Milwaukee to S. Haven
Damn good weather!
Great crew, good sails and good weather (almost never enough wind) highlighted the annual overnight Queens Cup dance between Milwaukee and Michigan. This's year's crew: Jake, Noah, Adam, Jack, Wisconsin John, Marvin & Dixon: Fish supplied shore patrol support as usual, and Paul K. helped Big Time with delivery home (and brought the ladies aboard!) This year's race finish: S. Haven (longer race than the previous 2-3 by about 10 miles). Next year: Milwaukee to Ludington, 75th running of The Queens! Arghh! (Click on "Photo Gallery" at right, then Queens Cup 2012, to see photos).

CHICAGO-MAC RACE 2011

26 November 2011 | Lake Michigan
There be storm monsters in this race!
Started fast & finished: Lochaber and a crew of 9 -- from Illinois, Michigan and Wisconsin, survived the historic Mac Storm of 2011 and managed to finish this historic race. No one was sick or injured, only a few items damaged or lost and a good time had by all. In spite of the sadness that saw this race and the Lake, for the first time ever, lose two sailors to a storm. See Mac Race 2011 Photo Album. Those photos by Dixon or Wisconsin John C.

PLAYING WITH NEW TOYS

22 June 2011 | OFF MUSKEGON
WINDY ENOUGH
Several Mac Crew members suited up The Big Girl with some of her new wardrobe earlier this month, specifically: New A3 Reacher and new bomb-proof 90%+ Kevlar-Technora heavy-air genoa, which is stiff as a board and flaunts four battens, no less. Can we point in heavy air now? You betcha!

LAUNCHED AT LAST

09 June 2011 | MUSKEGON
CAPT. D
Finally! Lochaber gets wet Friday, June 3, at Torresen Marine for a season of racing, cruising and mooring ball testing. Partial Mac and Tripp/Queens Cup race crew due for shakedown sailing this weekend. Still, there are projects to be completed: sails to be hanked on, mast collar to be sealed, junk to be loaded and off-loaded. But -- at last -- some SAILING!

Bottom's Up/Stage Two

22 May 2011 | Still on the Damn Hard, Muskegon
IFFY
After two weeks of sanding, filling, fairing, sanding, filling, fairing (see bad weather), Lochaber FINALLY got her first two layers of Interprotect 2000e Barrier Coat. Friday and Saturday (5/20 and 5/21). First grey, then white. Next week, hopefully (see weather) she'll get 2-3 more, the final one coming after she's moved on her cradle so the spots under the pads can be sanded (read remove ALL old blue paint), faired, etc. We've been focusing on the first 2/5ths of the bottom, but not ignoring all little pock marks (sand, fill and make fair), as this is where she parts the waves and builds speed (See Lochaber, the Fair Land Where Magical Waters Flow Over, Aye!). With any luck (see weather) and some help (Guys, we're almost there!), The Big Girl will have all of here bottom makeover finished by the end of Memorial Day Weekend and ready for launch June 3, 10 a.m. She may slip at Torresen's for a week post-launch while she's rigged and electrical work is completed. Stay tuned on that.

Special thanks to all who have contributed -- either via CA$H or sweat equity -- to this year's arduous commissioning!
Vessel Name: Lochaber
Vessel Make/Model: 1973 Tartan 41 Tall Rig, Deep Keel: Hull No. 17
Hailing Port: Muskegon, Michigan
Crew: Julie, Adam, Chris, Noah, Jake, Kent, John, Marv
About: Scoundrals everyone of 'em
Extra: Lochaber and crew are wrapping up our 5th season on the Great Lakes, racing and cruising. Highlights include Queens Cup and month-long cruise up to Lake Superior and back.

Tartan 41 Lochaber

Who: Julie, Adam, Chris, Noah, Jake, Kent, John, Marv
Port: Muskegon, Michigan