Longly Family Adventure

Follow a cruising family's lifetime of adventure!

05 October 2007 | LaPaz
01 October 2007 | LaPaz Mexico
24 August 2007 | LaPaz
27 April 2007 | LaPaz Mexico
13 January 2007 | Biah de Muertos
10 January 2007 | Cabo San Lucas
06 January 2007 | Turtle Bay
03 January 2007 | Encenada, Mexico
23 December 2006 | L.A.
06 December 2006 | Leaving San Francisco
21 November 2006 | San Francisco
17 November 2006 | Transit
14 November 2006 | 40 48'N:124 10'W
28 October 2006
30 September 2006 | Cressent City
15 September 2006 | Washington Coast
13 September 2006 | Washington Coast
12 September 2006 | Neah Bay
10 September 2006 | Port Townsend
09 September 2006 | Seattle

Bringing up Baby

17 November 2006 | Transit
KC Longly
We sailed for two days. This is the first overnight transit with just Mandy, Vianne and I. Mandy and I worked out a decent watch schedule allowing each of us to get some sleep and still take care of Vianne. Having a baby on board brings a whole new element to a cruising lifestyle. Having such a perfect kid makes it all the better. (Not that I'm biased) Mandy and I worked out a watch schedule that allowed us each to get a decent amount of sleep, sort of, and it followed Vianne's eating and sleeping schedule. I take the late night watches, Letting Mandy sleep till Vianne wakes up for her midnight feeding. After she eats and goes back to bed, Mandy relieves me at the helm and I get about four hours sleep to relieve her for a couple hours sleep before Vianne needs to eat again. Vianne will stay up in the morning for an hour or so and then take her morning nap. Depending on who needs the sleep more, Mandy or I will take the nap with Vianne. During the day we trade off duties of kid, food, playtime and sailing. It's going to take more practice, but I think we are starting to get a hang of this cruising with a kid thing. It is very difficult trying to balance out all the needs for Vianne, the boat and mom and dad. The first day at sea is a little rough, trying to get everyone used to new schedules. However, we all adjust quickly and by the second day, we seem to be able to get a decent sleep pattern. Vianne seems to like hanging out in the cockpit with mom and dad, and seeing the birds and water. Her favorite toy while under way is any rope she can get her hands on.
Comments
Vessel Name: Boreas
Vessel Make/Model: 36 Pearson
Hailing Port: Alaska
Crew: KC Longly
About: Mandy Longly Vianne Longly Rian Brooks
Extra: Living the sailing dream on our way around the world!

Cast of Characters

Who: KC Longly
Port: Alaska