S/V Love Song's Adventures

26 September 2012 | Java Sea
25 September 2012 | Bali Sea
25 September 2012 | Bali Sea
25 September 2012 | Bali Sea
25 September 2012 | Bali Sea
22 August 2012 | Under way for Bali
15 August 2012 | Maumere, Flores
12 August 2012 | NE Flores
09 August 2012 | heading West toward Flores
08 August 2012 | Saumlaki, Tanimbar, INDO
05 August 2012 | Saumlaki, Tanimbar, INDO
01 August 2012 | Arafura Sea
22 July 2012 | Louisiade Archipelago, PNG
22 July 2012 | Louisiade Archipelago, PNG
15 July 2012 | Rodrick Bay
12 July 2012 | Honiara, Guadalcanal, SI
02 July 2012 | Point Cruz Harbor
26 June 2012 | Letonga Village 1 & 2
23 June 2012 | Roderick Bay
22 June 2012 | Roderick Bay

BBQ at anchor

18 November 2010 | Eneko islet, Majuro lagoon
kathy
We had the most delectable donation of "mahi mahi" by another sailboat that caught a dorado entering Majuro lagoon today, and it very well may be the first time we've had it (other than in a restaurant?) since Mexico! WOW, it was so delicious. So for the first time in many months, we fired up the BBQ off the stern rail, as we've not been too adept at keeping the propane tank for the BBQ full. We only have 2 eleven pound cans, and the propane is such a rip off here...in order to get propane fills you take your mostly empty bottle too the Marshall Energy Corporation, which is miles away from the propane plant. They look at your bottle's gross weight, and you pay for that amount. Then you take the bottle to the plant, and they attach the big metal nozzle and together the nozzle and the tank are weighed. Then they begin to fill your tank. Most likely it won't take the amount you've paid for, so every time you over pay, and there's no refund. If you have two tanks and one can take the rest, you can make the most of your dime, but most likely you'll have overpaid for that one too. It's USD $23.00 for my 11 pound can. Needless to say, I don't bake anyone happy very often.

After two months of no refrigeration, which was fixed the day before we left for a month of vacation, we have been happily stocking up on lots of fresh goodies (or semi fresh for these parts, or rotten and on sale) but alas, no limes, and no tomatoes, so no ceviche. But we did marinate the "mahi mahi" with Soy Vey, and as I went to slap it on the grill, I re-connected the BBQ hose, which as I was saying hadn't been used in a while.

All of a sudden, the orange hose starts to distort and blow up like a balloon! I quickly turned the nozzle off again and opened the BBQ valve to dispense the gas, and Allen saw it and wasn't pleased as he just installed that hose in June before we left for Fiji. So, we cook the fish. I turned the gas off to let the grill keep the fish warm as the rice finished cooking, and just as I turned to go, POP! the hoses blew. I forgot to turn the gas off at the bottle. OOPS. This is why propane bottles are stored outside.

We finished the lovely evening with some snap, crackle and pops of our own, lighting the last of our IndoFijian Diwali fireworks which we've had onboard just waiting for a nice night. The dogs went beserk and jumped down the companion way, but there was another kid boat in the anchorage that we gave the heads up to watch for the light show and they were really happy with it too!

So, the honey do list just got longer...and did I mention, he's painting the decks bright yellow, and we have 2 kids and 2 dogs onboard?! By the way, the windlass is bright red. Too bad we didn't do this when Morgan was a toddler, it reminds me of a daycare or preschool! I told him since we are still in Majuro, we might as well honor the rainbow, since the Iakwe/Yokwe greeting here means more than just hello, such as "you are a rainbow" or " I love you". We could paint the hull a stripe of every color of the rainbow on it's way up to the deck!
Comments
Vessel Name: Love Song
Vessel Make/Model: Maple Leaf 50
Hailing Port: San Diego
Crew: Allen, Kathy, Morgan, Wyatt, and Dallas & Dulce
About: We are a family of 4 humans, 2 dogs, and 7 guppies living and sailing aboard our beloved Love Song. We go where we want to go, when we finally feel like going, and even if we don't go anywhere, we've stopped feeling guilty about it!
Extra: If boats had bumper stickers, mine would say, "I'd rather be flying", says Kathy!
Love Song's Photos - Main
35 Photos
Created 11 October 2010