S/V Love Song's Adventures

26 September 2012 | Java Sea
25 September 2012 | Bali Sea
25 September 2012 | Bali Sea
25 September 2012 | Bali Sea
25 September 2012 | Bali Sea
22 August 2012 | Under way for Bali
15 August 2012 | Maumere, Flores
12 August 2012 | NE Flores
09 August 2012 | heading West toward Flores
08 August 2012 | Saumlaki, Tanimbar, INDO
05 August 2012 | Saumlaki, Tanimbar, INDO
01 August 2012 | Arafura Sea
22 July 2012 | Louisiade Archipelago, PNG
22 July 2012 | Louisiade Archipelago, PNG
15 July 2012 | Rodrick Bay
12 July 2012 | Honiara, Guadalcanal, SI
02 July 2012 | Point Cruz Harbor
26 June 2012 | Letonga Village 1 & 2
23 June 2012 | Roderick Bay
22 June 2012 | Roderick Bay

Volcano Alley

12 August 2012 | NE Flores
Kathy
Thank goodness today we had little wind after a horrible, choppy, and erratic wind during the night because the second we gybed I felt seasick and it only got worse!! Luckily no dinner and early to bed saved me from losing too much but I was still hanging on the rail! This morning we were approaching an active volcano off the starboard side and it had smoke coming from it's top. It was a pointy little triangle sticking up out of the water like 2100 feet and we stayed several miles off. When we happened to look to port we saw another volcano making up part of one big island called Pulau Kawula. The air started to smell a bit strange too, the boys and I noticed, so we asked if the water maker was running and Allen said no. It was the smell of sulphur from the volcanoes! Pretty soon we could see a little bit further west of the big volcano to port and there was another volcano! I thought of the Bermuda triangle, as this was a definite triangle of Indonesian volcanoes. Hence the sunsets have been pretty spectacular last night and tonight, due to the dust or ash from those smoke plumes on each one. A few more miles down the way and yet another and another! This place is one volcanic range, and Allen said at dinner if he had known that he might not have wanted to sail here! So, he just called me topside now and asked me to look at something bright red on the hillside abeam us and it's got to be a lava flow! A couple of the anchorages that we had picked were right below these things, so we were glad we saw all that only to pass by it and NEVER would've anchored under it! WOW!

This afternoon we had several dolphins surfing through the rollers next to us, lined up 4 or 5 in a row about a foot under the top of the wave. I've never seen them do something like that so it was fun to see! The dogs went crazy, of course. It was a nice treat.

We are trying to meet up with SV Uliad at Maumere for Wyatt's birthday tomorrow, hopefully arriving at dawn. It will make for a long day. Wyatt has requested chocolate waffles in the morning, which is usually our arrival breakfast anyways, so I will conjure up some cocoa powder or chocolate chips or both for our delicious Belgian waffles aboard Chez Love Song. Morgan is worried there will be no presents for Wyatt, but I only have to open my closet and unpack them. There is a package waiting for us in Bali that has birthday stuff from Amma and Afi in Seattle. Guess it will have to wait.

It's hard to believe that my baby is going to be 6. We were telling him the tale of my last day with him in my belly when we took a dinghy ride from Marina Palmira across the La Paz bay to El Mogote and it was choppy! It wasn't until bed time that I felt crampy and decided to get the baby sitter for Morgan at midnight and off we went down the boulevard with hundreds of cruising cars and trucks! Allen was all revved up like I was going to deliver any minute and some of the other cars took his revving to mean he wanted to race so it was kind of hilarious! I was yelling to slow down as I was having to hang on to the handle over my door. FUNNY! Of course we made it with plenty of time. Allen slept in his chair and Pedro the Carpinter kept me company for a while. Wyatt was finally born on a Sunday morning, and this is the first time his birthday has been on a Sunday since then to make it round on the calendar. He is finally getting his front tooth in a bit, and he needs a haircut! Well, guess I better go wrap presents before bed time while they're in the tub!
Comments
Vessel Name: Love Song
Vessel Make/Model: Maple Leaf 50
Hailing Port: San Diego
Crew: Allen, Kathy, Morgan, Wyatt, and Dallas & Dulce
About: We are a family of 4 humans, 2 dogs, and 7 guppies living and sailing aboard our beloved Love Song. We go where we want to go, when we finally feel like going, and even if we don't go anywhere, we've stopped feeling guilty about it!
Extra: If boats had bumper stickers, mine would say, "I'd rather be flying", says Kathy!
Love Song's Photos - Main
35 Photos
Created 11 October 2010