S/V Love Song's Adventures

26 September 2012 | Java Sea
25 September 2012 | Bali Sea
25 September 2012 | Bali Sea
25 September 2012 | Bali Sea
25 September 2012 | Bali Sea
22 August 2012 | Under way for Bali
15 August 2012 | Maumere, Flores
12 August 2012 | NE Flores
09 August 2012 | heading West toward Flores
08 August 2012 | Saumlaki, Tanimbar, INDO
05 August 2012 | Saumlaki, Tanimbar, INDO
01 August 2012 | Arafura Sea
22 July 2012 | Louisiade Archipelago, PNG
22 July 2012 | Louisiade Archipelago, PNG
15 July 2012 | Rodrick Bay
12 July 2012 | Honiara, Guadalcanal, SI
02 July 2012 | Point Cruz Harbor
26 June 2012 | Letonga Village 1 & 2
23 June 2012 | Roderick Bay
22 June 2012 | Roderick Bay

What was I thinking

13 May 2011 | South Pacific Ocean
allen
This is the forth time going from North to South here in the Western Pacific. You would think we would have learned after the first or second time. Fiji to Majuro, or visa, versa, isn't a good passage, period. First, it's around 1700nm, that's long. Second, you transit both the ITCZ, and the SPSZ, they both suck. Actually they are not so bad if you don't mind Squalls with lots of wind, and after they pass the wind disappears for a while , and leaves sloppy mixed up washer machine seas. Oh ya I forgot to mention down pours during the squalls. Third the wind in our experience isn't very favorable, it seems to be forward of the beam no matter which direction you are sailing, once again, not good. Fourth, the primary swell direction is almost always on the beam, not good.

This trip will have taken us 16 days by the time we get in Sunday. It only took us 19 days to sail from Puerto Vallarta, Mexico to the Marquesas in French Poly, and that was almost 3000nm. Not only is this a long, very uncomfortable trip, it's also expensive. Within 48 hrs of departing Majuro we were hit by a squall that was much nastier than normal, of course it was at night. The actual squall wasn't too bad, gusts of around 25-30kts (normal), after the main cell passed and all was clear on the radar, the wind built fast. I managed to get the Jib rolled up before the wind went crazy. The next thing we knew it was gusting into the 60kt range. That's when all hell broke loose. The clew ( bottom outside corner) of the main exploded. Next the leach ( the outside edge) up towards the top, self destructed, and before I could get out there and get it down, there was also a 5' tear down the middle. It was some thing to see, Me up on the cabin top breaking waves flying over the cabin, with the spreader lights illuminating the forward deck Kathy couldn't even see me at times, due to so much flying water. I felt like the guys in the Master and Commander movie during the big storm as they rounded the Horn. I did manage to get the sail down and the boom tied to the rail. We ran under bare poles (no sails) doing 6kts for almost four hours till we could set some Jib and get back under way to the South. The next day the weather gave us a respite and we were able to get the Main sail into the cockpit and repair it, using many feet of sail repair tape, lots of sail cloth, a full can of contact cement and lots, and lots of hand stitching, that took a full nine hours.

So we will need a new Main sail$$$$, and my new Stand up paddle Board, and Wyatt's shorty Surf Board were torn off the rail during the melee and washed away.$$$$ A few days later the Jib we bought last year got torn up near the top during another squall. $$$.

If I ever decide to do another North, South passage in this part of the Pacific, some one please intervene!!!

This morning the sea was flat calm, no waves, no wind, like glass, so peaceful. This afternoon, squalls, squalls, squalls, lightening , chop, you name it . Please just let it end soon. If all goes well, we should clear Malolo Pass on the West side of Viti Livu in about 35 hrs, or Sunday morning 5/15/2001, here in Fiji. GOOD LUCK
Comments
Vessel Name: Love Song
Vessel Make/Model: Maple Leaf 50
Hailing Port: San Diego
Crew: Allen, Kathy, Morgan, Wyatt, and Dallas & Dulce
About: We are a family of 4 humans, 2 dogs, and 7 guppies living and sailing aboard our beloved Love Song. We go where we want to go, when we finally feel like going, and even if we don't go anywhere, we've stopped feeling guilty about it!
Extra: If boats had bumper stickers, mine would say, "I'd rather be flying", says Kathy!
Love Song's Photos - Main
35 Photos
Created 11 October 2010