The Voyages of s/v Lucky Bird

21 August 2019 | Straits Marina, Mackinaw City
06 August 2019 | Village of Brockport
30 July 2019
27 July 2019
21 June 2019 | Wickford Cove Marina
20 May 2019 | Antlantic Yacht Basin
13 May 2019 | Homer Smith Marina, final Salty Dawg Destination
21 April 2019 | Frenchtown, St. Thomas V.I. Easter Celebration
20 April 2019 | Brewers Bay, St. Thomas VI
11 April 2019 | Nanny Cay Marine, Tortola, BVI
28 March 2019 | Green Cay Marina, St. Croix, US Virgin Islands
25 March 2019
24 February 2019 | Jolly Harbor Marina, Antigua

Thunder Bay and Starting South

25 July 2012
Having left Rossport we headed west, out the Simpson Channel toward Loon Harbor. Along the way we approached the light house on Battle Island and I asked my chief tour guide about stopping. Sure enough there was a harbor and a chance to see this light. So we diverted course and headed into a very small harbor headed by two islands. We anchored, dinghied ashore and hiked up to the light. The story goes that a battle was fought near this island and the name Battle Island stuck. The hike up wound us through pines covered in moss and although we knew others had been here before us it seemed incredibly isolated. We were becoming part of a time when lighthouses like this one were critical to shipping and commercial enterprise. It was like stepping back in time, witnessing the results of man's efforts of some time ago, when people dedicated their lives to seeing that these lights were kept operational regardless of the weather and the season. Such commitment, such devotion to their responsibility. These were truly men and women of faith and dedication.

Loon Harbor was one of those places where we entered a channel very slowly, went a little left, then a little right, back left and then straight, the quickly left. We anchored next to a place where some time ago there was a portable pulp mill. All that was left was some abandoned machinery and steel bars anchored in the rocks. We could only imagine what had happened in this area. It was Alice's birthday so I built a monument of stones in her honor. A piece of us left now for others to imagine about among the remnants of bygone times. This is really an isolated area and all throughout the night I could here loons calling Loo-Eooo-O. Such a mournful call, so discernible as being loon.

Thunder Bay was not on our agenda but a vibration in our prop was bothering me so we diverted course to find a yard where we could hall LB and check things out. To make along story short we pulled the boat, worked on the prop and put her back. We thoroughly enjoyed Thunder Bay, the hospitality, the restaurants, and the water front. Well worth the stop.

Now we have stopped in Thompson Island and are experiencing true Canadian camaraderie. We sailed here this morning and are now tied up to a dock maintained by local people from Thunder Bay. We hiked trails this afternoon and when five other boats arrived the party started. We spent time in the sauna, swam and then sat down to a collective feast. Every boat crew contributed something and it was a feast. Then, around 23:00 as the sun was finally setting we sat around a fire pit and sang songs. When have we done this, a camp fire, songs and good company, does it get much better especially with Canadians?

Tomorrow we visit some abandoned mines, the Pakashwa Pits and then head over to Isle Royale. This has been a truly special evening, including a fireworks display offered by one of the boaters. Wow.
Comments
Vessel Name: Lucky Bird
Vessel Make/Model: 1990 Moody 425 cc
Hailing Port: Kenosha, WI
Crew: Robert & Alice Smith
About:
Alice and I have spent considerable time together on the water; cruising and racing on the waters of New England, the Caribbean and Lake Michigan.

Sailing is our passion and together we've been fortunate to experience the thrills, the camaraderie and the enjoyment boating provides. [...]

We seek the freedom, excitement and challenges of voyaging.

Lucky Bird's Photos - Main
This is our second journey south to the Caribbean. This time we've chosen to exit Lake Michigan and proceed south through the in-land waterway system to Mobile. We'll start around Labor Day and take our time exploring the history of middle America.
207 Photos
Created 28 July 2017
30 Photos
Created 12 July 2013
101 Photos
Created 17 July 2012
Bob and Alice return to Lucky Bird after spending the summer in Addison.
31 Photos
Created 4 December 2010
Heading into the Windward Islands and further south
108 Photos
Created 22 February 2010
121 Photos
Created 11 June 2009