The Voyages of s/v Lucky Bird

21 August 2019 | Straits Marina, Mackinaw City
06 August 2019 | Village of Brockport
30 July 2019
27 July 2019
21 June 2019 | Wickford Cove Marina
20 May 2019 | Antlantic Yacht Basin
13 May 2019 | Homer Smith Marina, final Salty Dawg Destination
21 April 2019 | Frenchtown, St. Thomas V.I. Easter Celebration
20 April 2019 | Brewers Bay, St. Thomas VI
11 April 2019 | Nanny Cay Marine, Tortola, BVI
28 March 2019 | Green Cay Marina, St. Croix, US Virgin Islands
25 March 2019
24 February 2019 | Jolly Harbor Marina, Antigua

The Slates, Caribou, and Yes Another of our Cruising Angles

25 July 2012
The anchorage at the Slates wasn't much, in fact the bottom was so hard the anchor wouldn't bite, so I let out another 75 feet of chain and we were set, anchored on our chain. We've done this many times when there is little chance of adverse winds or current. LB just sits there happy as ever.

We toured the place by dinghy and went ashore to do some exploring. Caribou tracks, lots of drift wood for Alice and more of this incredibly dense forest. Back at LB Alice noticed a Caribou wandering down the beach we had just walked some 30 minutes ago. We watched the large animal graze, walk around nonchalantly; we watched for a good 45 minutes, then up into the forest and it was gone.

The next day was miserable, rain, fog and yet wind!! We set sail for the islands around Rossport with big rollers and a good 15 knots of breeze. Now the tour guide talks about a wreck on a reef right on our course. Alice read me the story of this yacht that it the reef and sank when they tried to pull her off. Today she lays in 200 feet of water and is a popular deep dive sight. So needless to say, while in the fog I gave this reef a wide berth.

In Rossport, a very small town of less than 100 people we found a gem of a restaurant and another one of our cruising angles. The restaurant, The Serendipity, was a totally unexpected find. Prime Rib was the special, and guess what, Alice tried Canadian Rye and She liked it. We now have added Rye to our on-board inventory.

The next day we wanted to do some laundry, get some supplies and the like, but the nearest “large” town was some 20 miles away. Voila! Another cruising angle appeared. Is name was Bill, and Bill if you ever come across this writing, please accept my apology for storing your last name away in a totally inaccessible part of my aging brain. Bill drove us the 20 miles; he helped with the laundry, took us to a bank; a hardware store and back to the laundry for the dry cycle. We offered lunch at the local place, having fish and chips and Canadian beers. Back to Rossport and Bill helped carry all our stuff out to LB. We just hope we have an opportunity to pay it forward and be a visiting angle for someone in our future.
Comments
Vessel Name: Lucky Bird
Vessel Make/Model: 1990 Moody 425 cc
Hailing Port: Kenosha, WI
Crew: Robert & Alice Smith
About:
Alice and I have spent considerable time together on the water; cruising and racing on the waters of New England, the Caribbean and Lake Michigan.

Sailing is our passion and together we've been fortunate to experience the thrills, the camaraderie and the enjoyment boating provides. [...]

We seek the freedom, excitement and challenges of voyaging.

Lucky Bird's Photos - Main
This is our second journey south to the Caribbean. This time we've chosen to exit Lake Michigan and proceed south through the in-land waterway system to Mobile. We'll start around Labor Day and take our time exploring the history of middle America.
207 Photos
Created 28 July 2017
30 Photos
Created 12 July 2013
101 Photos
Created 17 July 2012
Bob and Alice return to Lucky Bird after spending the summer in Addison.
31 Photos
Created 4 December 2010
Heading into the Windward Islands and further south
108 Photos
Created 22 February 2010
121 Photos
Created 11 June 2009