The Voyages of s/v Lucky Bird

21 August 2019 | Straits Marina, Mackinaw City
06 August 2019 | Village of Brockport
30 July 2019
27 July 2019
21 June 2019 | Wickford Cove Marina
20 May 2019 | Antlantic Yacht Basin
13 May 2019 | Homer Smith Marina, final Salty Dawg Destination
21 April 2019 | Frenchtown, St. Thomas V.I. Easter Celebration
20 April 2019 | Brewers Bay, St. Thomas VI
11 April 2019 | Nanny Cay Marine, Tortola, BVI
28 March 2019 | Green Cay Marina, St. Croix, US Virgin Islands
25 March 2019
24 February 2019 | Jolly Harbor Marina, Antigua

Dead Heads and Out of Control

25 July 2013 | John Harbor and Meldrum Bay
We've turned west, had a great sail from Gore Bay to John Harbor. Logging was once a strong industry on John Island with people working, ships hauling and commerce commercing. That's all long gone except.......what did they leave behind? We we found out the hard way. The weather forecast called for strong NorthWesterly winds, 30 knots or so. We had anchored on the southern side of John Harbor and as the winds increased I decided we should move to the other side, the north side. Up came the anchor and off we went. We found a spot; down with the anchor but this time it didn't feel quite right, so we sat and watched and sure enough the winds were strong enough that we were dragging, not good. So up again with the anchor and OMG we had hooked a Dead Head, a cut log, about 20 feet long and about 1 1/2 feet in diameter. Oh crap, now what? The wind is 25 to 30 knots, and we've got this huge log impaled on our anchor, this is way not cool. If I can't get this log off the anchor we are in big do-do. So, I hoped that by dropping the anchor really fast, faster hopefully than the log would sink, the anchor would sake free; Yippee! it worked no log. The anchoring events weren't over for us though but too much of our problems gets boring, right? right!

Next morning after Kody's shore poddy break we were of for Drummond Island, USA. Super sail, making great time until the winds went forward and increased to 20 knots. Now remember these old folks don't like to pound into waves hard on the wind, that's sailing close hauled and the waves were getting annoying so we bailed. We turned left and headed for Meldrum Bay for the night. Now we were beam reaching at 8.5 to 9 knots, right on! So Meldrum Bay it was, we anchored, took Kody ashore for you know what and settled back aboard LB for cocktails and munchies. About this time we notice a sail boat actually sailing into the harbor, nice job, someone who is patient, a real sailor, wrong. This guy sail up too close only to tell me his engine wouldn't start and he didn't know what to do. This was a disaster in the making. He actually had no clue what to do and throw an anchor over with jib and main still pulling, RIGHT IN FRONT OF US!! Holy crap, he's going to hit us. This was no time to be an observer. Into my dinghy and off to his boat. "My engine has no oil pressure" he told me. "Have you checked you oil level?" I asked. "You come and fix", was his reply. So up I went; down in the cabin, opened the engine access and discovered a Yanmar engine. The best. I checked the oil and guess what? It was perfect. I went to the cockpit and started the engine. Again perfect. He said when he turned the key he heard the low oil pressure buzzer. Dah, if the engine isn't running there isn't any oil pressure. By now two more guys showed up and with the engine purring we took down the sails, the other to guys pulled in the anchor while I drove the boat. Anchor up, motored to a safe place, anchor down, anchor set and all is well. This fellow, all alone, had placed Alice and I and himself in danger by being uninformed, irresponsible and lacking good judgement. I said to Alice, if you're in trouble don't make matters worse by putting yourself in and among other boats. Wow, Bottom line, his engine was fine and we got his butt out of a mess.
Comments
Vessel Name: Lucky Bird
Vessel Make/Model: 1990 Moody 425 cc
Hailing Port: Kenosha, WI
Crew: Robert & Alice Smith
About:
Alice and I have spent considerable time together on the water; cruising and racing on the waters of New England, the Caribbean and Lake Michigan.

Sailing is our passion and together we've been fortunate to experience the thrills, the camaraderie and the enjoyment boating provides. [...]

We seek the freedom, excitement and challenges of voyaging.

Lucky Bird's Photos - Main
This is our second journey south to the Caribbean. This time we've chosen to exit Lake Michigan and proceed south through the in-land waterway system to Mobile. We'll start around Labor Day and take our time exploring the history of middle America.
207 Photos
Created 28 July 2017
30 Photos
Created 12 July 2013
101 Photos
Created 17 July 2012
Bob and Alice return to Lucky Bird after spending the summer in Addison.
31 Photos
Created 4 December 2010
Heading into the Windward Islands and further south
108 Photos
Created 22 February 2010
121 Photos
Created 11 June 2009