Antigua to UK

Voyage from Antigua to Falmouth in the UK via the Azores

07 August 2022 | Portland
06 August 2022 | 4 hours from The Bill
05 August 2022 | 10miles South of Scillies
03 August 2022 | Sea area Sole
01 August 2022 | 640 miles out
29 July 2022 | 880 miles to go 43 deg 32.11n 021 deg 27.94w
28 July 2022 | One and a half days out
25 July 2022 | Ponta Delgada narins
19 July 2022 | Ponta Delgada
17 July 2022 | 200 miles out
15 July 2022 | East end of Sao Miguel
04 July 2022 | Sao Miguel
30 June 2022 | Angra Marina
18 June 2022 | Wonderful Horta
17 June 2022 | Horta
17 June 2022 | Horta
15 June 2022 | 130 to go
14 June 2022 | 300 mles to go
11 June 2022 | East of 40W
10 June 2022 | 625 miles to go, but not in a straight line!

Slow progress

02 January 2017 | Rodney Bay Marina again
Ian Sales
We stayed in the marina over new year, saying goodbye to G's son Eddie on 27th as he caught a local flight back to Barbados to connect with his UK flight. We were told by our generator man back in the UK that the lack of voltage was either the engine not reaching the correct rpm, or the capacitors had failed. I cleaned the fuel system which appeared OK and the engine ran correctly, so we put the capacitors into the electrician here for testing. However with the holiday they could not test them until 4th Jan, so we were forced to stay here until then. Our friends from the ARC left on 29th so we waited in the marina as the weather was showery and windy and the anchorage did not seem that inviting. We took a boat trip of all things down to Soufriere where we enjoyed bathing in the mineral springs and lunch at a cocoa palntation, this was followed by a snorkel session just up the coast from Soufriere a quick look into Marigot Bay and back, all in the pouring rain but actually a good day out. The capacitor test showed they were faulty so we ordered a new set to be brought out by our friend Paul who was coming out for 3 weeks on 12th Jan. On the 6th we slipped from the marina and went out to the anchorage for a couple of days before heading down to Marigot Bay. Here we went into the inner lagoon and picked up a marina buoy. This is a really pleasant little place and being on the marina buoy entitled us to use the hotel facilities and swimming pool. From here we took a taxi down to the international airport to collect Paul and the items he had brought out for us. After a few rum punches at the hotel we went to the boat to stow his kit and welcome him to St.Lucia with dinner at the Rainforest Hideaway restaurant (one of the 10 best in the Caribbean) The next day we left for the Pitons and moored to a buoy between the Pitons, a wonderful spot but a very rolly night alongside a superyacht "Drumbeat" on the next buoy where the crew were just waiting around. From the Pitons we moved down to the delightful bay of the small fishing village of Laborie, right near the South of the island. We stayed here for two nights eating the local cuisine ashore both nights. The anchorage is small as you have to fit in between the reefs but the holding was good. We then moved back up North prior to moving on to the next island up, Martinique, we managed to sail for a while but as we came round the West of the island the wind came onto the nose, and while we were off Marigot Bay there was a crash and one of the shrouds fell to the deck. It was the babystay, the smallest shroud, attached just under the first spreaders. The fitting that goes into the mast had sheared which was a surprise as the rigging was replaced in May. We anchored in Rodney Bay and the following day dinghied in to see about getting the shroud replaced. The Selden man was very helpful and after photos and measurements were taken the correct fitting was identified and the shroud ordered, as it had to made up in the States and shipped out. So we hope it does not take too long and we can get on our way. Apparently its a weakness where the fitting goes into the mast as it has to be seated just right or it fails!! We fitted the new capacitors and the generator is running well again so lets hope the new shroud when it arrives has the correct fitting and seats well. We have asked for a rigging survey just in case there is something else and this will be done tomorrow, Friday. Paul does not seem too upset at the delay as we have visited some of the places he previously went when he was here 18 years ago, culminating in a very nice meal last night in Vigie creek near the capital Castries. We hope to rent a car on Saturday and have a good look round the island before we hopefully get away early next week.
Comments
Vessel Name: Lucy Alice
Vessel Make/Model: Oyster406
Crew: Ian & Glenda Sales
Lucy Alice's Photos - Main
2021 to 2022
17 Photos
Created 30 June 2022
3 Photos
Created 6 March 2019
16 Photos
Created 1 February 2019
Photos in and around Cuba
26 Photos
Created 17 January 2019
33 Photos
Created 5 November 2018
3 Photos
Created 12 January 2018
No Photos
Created 26 March 2017
Barbados upt o the North and back down to Granada
19 Photos
Created 15 February 2017
Passage to Barbados and observations thereafter
11 Photos
Created 3 November 2016
39 Photos
Created 7 August 2016