Southward Bound

20 July 2016 | Steinbach
23 January 2016 | Mazatlan
19 January 2016 | Mazatlan
13 January 2016 | Mazatlan
07 January 2016 | Mazatlan
12 December 2015 | Mazatlan
24 November 2015 | Mazatlan
20 November 2015
18 November 2015
07 November 2015 | Mazatlan
25 October 2015 | False Creek
24 October 2015 | Stevenston Marina
24 October 2015
14 October 2015
13 May 2015
17 November 2014 | San Diego CA
09 September 2014 | Newport Or
02 September 2014 | Astoria OR
22 August 2014 | Port Angeles WA
17 August 2014 | Viscotia B.C.

Weather and delays

09 September 2014 | Newport Or
Dean
These sporadic entries will cause most of you troubles but here goes.
We left Astoria on a beautiful morning, sunshine, little wind(again) and a following sea. We finally got to appreciate a sleigh ride. There was a beautiful sunset, the stars came out and then...the FOG rolled in, the seas became confused and we were back in a light bulb!!! What gives??? Are we to be cursed on night passages??? We made it to Newport in record time. The waves picked up as did the wind and we got spanked and rolled a lot as we travelled. Neither one of us had any sleep that night. We had looked at a 20 hour run and made it in 16! Not bad except we were coming into an unknown port in the dark and fog, so, we did circles until the sun sort of came out. Into the narrow channel, under the bridge which we almost did not see and a hard to starboard put us almost on top of our dock! There were a couple of real nice people who caught us as we were being blown off the dock. Now safe here in Newport, we have spent the last few days exploring and enjoying the surroundings! Tomorrow we are looking at leaving and moving on to Florence just a 50 mile hike down the coast. The wind and wave predictions will dictate our leave. It does not look so good at the moment as there is a rather large low and trof sitting just south of us in the area we need to go. This is not a bad place to be stuck for a few days, maybe Lynn will let me slow down as we have taken in...
the aquarium
Hatfield Science Centre,
2 light houses
the historic district
and a few other places since sunday morning!!!
Internet is nasty here and keeps going in and out of service with 2 bars being real slow!
Oh well, the life of a new cruiser, time to see how laundry is doing and show the weather to see what we do tomorrow.
Comments
Vessel Name: Solastra
Vessel Make/Model: Pan Oceanic/Sea Star 46
Hailing Port: Winnipeg Manitoba Canada
Crew: Dean & Lynn Ducharme
About: Dean & Lynn fell in love with sailing while on a "Windjammer Barefoot" cruise. Since 1990 we have owned 3 sail boats, taken lessons and are currently preparing "Solastra" for a southern journey. Now retired, we eagerly await the beginning of our adventure.
Extra: This adventure begins in the middle of our dream. It would be difficult to start from the beginning. Join us now as we prepare to embark on an adventure that we are sure, will be full of suprises.

The Crew

Who: Dean & Lynn Ducharme
Port: Winnipeg Manitoba Canada