Southward Bound

20 July 2016 | Steinbach
23 January 2016 | Mazatlan
19 January 2016 | Mazatlan
13 January 2016 | Mazatlan
07 January 2016 | Mazatlan
12 December 2015 | Mazatlan
24 November 2015 | Mazatlan
20 November 2015
18 November 2015
07 November 2015 | Mazatlan
25 October 2015 | False Creek
24 October 2015 | Stevenston Marina
24 October 2015
14 October 2015
13 May 2015
17 November 2014 | San Diego CA
09 September 2014 | Newport Or
02 September 2014 | Astoria OR
22 August 2014 | Port Angeles WA
17 August 2014 | Viscotia B.C.

Another begining

24 October 2015
April 1st, 2014,

This was the final month for being in Point Roberts. Our intent was to head down to Shilshole marina to have a new Iverson Dodger installed and go further south than we had gone before. Not a great distance south but for us a new experience.
April 8th was the day we left for Sucia. This has always been our jumping off and last point before our return point. From here we to go Eagle Harbor on Cyprus Island for the night and on to Port Townsend. It is here where we have another one of our better experiences...Our slip assignment was for the wrong tie, we prefer starboard, and the wind took us past the slip! Here we go doing a U-turn in the channel! At least this made the approach to the new slip easier.
Port Townsend is a great town with lots to see and do! We even took in a movie at the Rose Theatre and went to a hotel that used to be a brothel. The names on the doors indicated which woman had that room and the best rooms were for the best women. Not sure how that rating came to be. On to Shilshole! What a beautiful marina! The docks were pristine and cleaned daily! In a nut shell, I cannot say enough about the Iverson people! They were there early, very professional and did metal fabrication on site! They had our dodger completed within a week! What an amazing team!
A surprise was in store for us. Keith & Miriam, Aurora, were on the dock behind us, saw the stern of Solastra and came for a visit! We were able to spend time and dinners with them and glean information about our future endeavors. A wonderful time meeting up with them again.
Back to the dodger installation, with this comes small problems. I had to move two clutches as the dodger came around a corner too close to use them. A metal fabrication shop was near the marina so off I go... Here is where tourist tax comes into play... the required piece was only to be 3 X 6 inches and have 4 holes drilled into it as a backing plate. $273.00 later...I had the piece in hand which was still on fire from making the payment on the piece! Oh well, it was needed.
Now with work complete, we head back to Point Roberts.
April 29th we cut the lines at the dock. No fanfare, Champaign, just a surprise visit from Joe & Linda who caught us just in time. We were heading to Steveston to haul out and do bottom work, paint and other fun stuff!
Gary Peacock came on board as Lynn had to take the vehicle into Canada and meet us at the marina. After Lynn took a few pictures, we were off. There was no slip for us and we had to nestle between two boats with barely enough room! The turn in was non existent as well and the shots of forward and reverse to make the turn was really needed! It was only temporary as our haul out was scheduled for the next day. On to work!!!
Comments
Vessel Name: Solastra
Vessel Make/Model: Pan Oceanic/Sea Star 46
Hailing Port: Winnipeg Manitoba Canada
Crew: Dean & Lynn Ducharme
About: Dean & Lynn fell in love with sailing while on a "Windjammer Barefoot" cruise. Since 1990 we have owned 3 sail boats, taken lessons and are currently preparing "Solastra" for a southern journey. Now retired, we eagerly await the beginning of our adventure.
Extra: This adventure begins in the middle of our dream. It would be difficult to start from the beginning. Join us now as we prepare to embark on an adventure that we are sure, will be full of suprises.

The Crew

Who: Dean & Lynn Ducharme
Port: Winnipeg Manitoba Canada