Madcap Sailing

31 December 2018 | Gold River Marina, Nova Scotia, Canada
06 August 2018 | Mahone Bay, Nova Scotia
26 May 2018 | Gold River Marina, Gold River, NS
18 May 2018 | Gold River Marina, Gold River, NS
24 March 2018 | boat in Gold River, NS and crew in Halifax
22 May 2017 | Whittaker Creek, Oriental, NC
15 May 2017 | Boat in Oriental, crew in New Orleans and Nova Scotia
26 April 2017 | Oriental, NC
26 April 2017 | Oriental, NC
20 April 2017 | Ocean Isle Marina, Ocean Beach, NC at Mile 335.6
17 April 2017 | Dewees Creek, near Charleston, NC
14 April 2017 | St Simons Island
12 April 2017 | Fernandina Beach, FL
11 April 2017 | St Augustine, FL
07 April 2017 | Vero Beach, Florida
03 April 2017 | Ft Pierce, FL
30 March 2017 | Ft Pierce, Florida

Country Mice Visit the City

21 January 2010 | Fort Lauderdale, FL
Beth / 80F !!

As we came through the inlet at Fort Lauderdale we spied three cruise ships tied up at the terminals and it felt a wee bit like Halifax! The similarity ended pretty soon though as we turned the corner north and headed up the ICW toward the New River. There were huge motor yachts and mansions on all sides.

We had been playing games with speed during the last part of the trip down the outside from Lake Worth, first thinking we didn't want to make the inlet too early and then thinking maybe an early arrival would be good. The reasoning behind all this is fourfold.

The New River, flowing down into Port Everglades is swift moving, winding and busy. There are three lift bridges (four if you count the railroad bridge which is usually up) that we would have to get through. They all open on request - except from 4:30 to 6 p.m. (NOT 4:30 to 5:30 as it says in our guidebooks). It gets dark around 6 p.m. (although there is still quite a lot of ambient light). Because of the swift current, it is important to arrive at the marina at slack tide. Complicating this last bit is the fact that slack tide at Sailors Bend - where Cooley's Landing is located - is not easily apparent without local knowledge.

You know already that this all turned out happily, so perhaps you can just recreate the tension as I tell you the rest of the story.

We had been on the phone with both a fellow from the marina and with our friend, Steve (Princess). We had read the books and charts so we knew what markers in what order. We came through Port Everglades Inlet at 3:50, cleared the 55 foot bridge and were making our way north on the ICW as I got on the radio to call the first opening bridge (3rd Ave.) When I asked the bridgemaster if he thought we could make all the bridges before they closed, he said, "Maybe." Fortunately, Matt - the New River Dockmaster broke in to say he didn't think we could. (Just like the old telephone days when party lines were open and anyone with more information could interject!)

Matt suggested that we hold off, explaining that even if we did get up there, the tide wouldn't be slack at the Marina and we couldn't get in anyway. He gave specific instructions for where we could stop along the wall just before the 3rd Ave bridge and agreed to be there to catch our lines. Steve and Sandra called to say they'd be there too so then all we had to do was get there!

The mansions and yachts lining the river were enormous and as Jim navigated and I readied lines and fenders, we tried to take peeks at them. As we rounded Tarpon Bend - marker G 11 - we met a 40 ft motor yacht but both Jim and the other helmsman skillfully passed each other. Soon enough, we came to the bend in the river where we could see Matt, Steve, and Sandra on the bank where we were to tuck in between two boats (always a trick with this boat - full keel and no fancy bow thrusters). Jim did a masterful job and with much help from the shore crew, we got tied up and then looked around at upward at the breathtaking sight. Huge condo and apartment buildings on both sides of the river - giant motor and sail boats ahead and behind - people everywhere. It was just awesome.

After celebratory dark'n'stormies, Sandra, Steve, Jim and I walked up to Cooley's Landing to eyeball the trip we'd take the next morning. A delicious pasta dinner on Princess topped off the evening and we strolled back to Madcap in the heart of the evening action, had a surprisingly quiet night, and woke up to watch more boat movement and chat with the many folks out for morning strolls and dog walks.

Slack tide at Cooley's landing is one half hour before and after high tide at Andrews St bridge and between 2 and 3 hours after low tide at Andrews St bridge. This meant that the optimum time for us to depart in the morning would be around 11. About that time, the railroad bridge was frequently closed while people were working on it and the traffic on Channel 09 was constant as boats called the bridges. We managed to break in and requested an opening of the 3rd Ave bridge while the railroad bridge was up, dropped our lines and headed up river.

It all went very well, and even though Jim sprouted some more grey hairs as we held in place for the Andrews Bridge, we had no close calls. There were 3 vessels outbound there and when I asked if they would please let us come through first because we were being pushed by current, there was no hesitation and the first boat called back, "Sure, come on through, sweetheart!" (I don't always take kindly to being called sweetheart by complete strangers, but sometimes it is just fine!)

As we turned the corner by the Performing Arts Centre, I heard folks on the board walk call out, "Madcap! Madcap! We read your blog!" What a rush that was! I think they said they are friends of Carole and Richard's but that's all I caught (so I hope you'll send a message or come by Cooley's Landing!)

By the time we got to the marina just past the 7th Ave bridge, Steve and Sandra were ready to catch our lines. The tide was not quite slack but the current was not so strong that we couldn't make the turn into our slip. If you zoom in on Google Earth with the coordinates above, you'll be able to see in fine detail right where we are. (Not Madcap herself, of course, but the slip!)

We had no plans to come here until the combination of friends and weather made it a good option, but having done so, we wouldn't have missed this trip up the river for anything, and we're all set to enjoy a few days here. We're in the heart of the city - an easy riverside walk from the Performing Arts Centre, a lively Irish Pub, the historic district, and just a few blocks from Las Olas Blvd. It is a good place to be!


Comments
Vessel Name: Madcap
Vessel Make/Model: Bayfield 36
Hailing Port: Halifax, Nova Scotia
Crew: James D Bissell (Jim) and Elizabeth Lusby (Beth)
About: Beth and Jim have spent several winters sailing southern waters on s/v Madcap. They love Halifax in the summer, but loved to spend the winters exploring warmer places - the Bahamas, Cuba, Mexico, Guatemala, Belize, Honduras.
Extra:
The Madcap crew left Ottawa in 2007 to go sailing in the Bahamas. After a highly successful year, they returned to Canada, settled in Halifax, Nova Scotia, and in the fall of 2009 they left to do it again! Journey #3 (2010/11) took them back to the Bahamas and then on to Cuba for several weeks [...]
Social:
Madcap's Photos - Mad Cap Sailing (Main)
19 Photos
Created 15 May 2017
20 Photos
Created 20 April 2017
62 Photos
Created 30 March 2017
11 Photos
Created 6 April 2016
13 Photos
Created 6 April 2016
5 Photos
Created 6 April 2016
6 Photos
Created 9 March 2016
11 Photos
Created 9 March 2016
23 Photos
Created 25 February 2016
18 Photos
Created 21 February 2016
31 Photos
Created 20 February 2016
4 Photos
Created 20 February 2016
20 Photos
Created 19 February 2016
7 Photos
Created 9 February 2016
51 Photos
Created 24 November 2015
12 Photos
Created 28 October 2015
16 Photos
Created 9 October 2015
24 Photos
Created 3 December 2013
our Oct/Nov 2013 trip to New Zealand
36 Photos
Created 22 November 2013
9 Photos
Created 20 January 2013
Guatemala pics starting Nov 22, 2012
43 Photos
Created 6 December 2012
54 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 8 November 2012
trip to Zion National Park and Bryce Canyon National Park (via Las Vegas)
23 Photos
Created 4 November 2012
20 Photos
Created 1 November 2012
18 Photos
Created 12 February 2012
43 Photos
Created 29 January 2012
62 Photos
Created 19 May 2011
21 Photos
Created 19 May 2011
76 Photos
Created 19 May 2011
8 Photos
Created 19 May 2011