Madcap Sailing

31 December 2018 | Gold River Marina, Nova Scotia, Canada
06 August 2018 | Mahone Bay, Nova Scotia
26 May 2018 | Gold River Marina, Gold River, NS
18 May 2018 | Gold River Marina, Gold River, NS
24 March 2018 | boat in Gold River, NS and crew in Halifax
22 May 2017 | Whittaker Creek, Oriental, NC
15 May 2017 | Boat in Oriental, crew in New Orleans and Nova Scotia
26 April 2017 | Oriental, NC
26 April 2017 | Oriental, NC
20 April 2017 | Ocean Isle Marina, Ocean Beach, NC at Mile 335.6
17 April 2017 | Dewees Creek, near Charleston, NC
14 April 2017 | St Simons Island
12 April 2017 | Fernandina Beach, FL
11 April 2017 | St Augustine, FL
07 April 2017 | Vero Beach, Florida
03 April 2017 | Ft Pierce, FL
30 March 2017 | Ft Pierce, Florida

The Other Side of the Idyllic Life

12 February 2014 | Port Royal, Roatan, Honduras
Beth / hot and grumpy
There is a saying about cruising: “fixing boats in exotic locations”. That’s what we’ve been up to lately.

We had a rollicking sail and motor sail from Cayos Cochinos to Port Royal, Roatan on Tuesday the 11th. There was lots of wind as we had hoped, but too much NE for good sailing all the way. It worked well for a while with all sails flying, but as the wind crept up to 17kt and the swells and chop increased, the yankee kept flapping and losing the wind as we crested each wave so we rolled it in. And then there was too much wind on the nose for the staysail and main to move us forward so on came the engine. Not a bad thing entirely because although we’d been doing well on wind generator and solar panel, the batteries could use a good charging up.

We anchored off George’s Cay (aka Fort Cay) in the big bay known as Port Royal, Roatan, went for a swim, chatted with Alvin on the Mango Creek Lodge Patrol boat and learned that he would be circling the bay regularly. We followed up with a lovely relaxing evening – and then a very rolly night. But no big deal. That started the next day!

As we began to lower the dinghy from the davits, the stern end of the dinghy crashed to water level while the bow hung in the air, the top of the davit let go from its fitting on the rail and hung half off the boat, the solar panel twisted and the whole wretched thing was precariously tipped downward. Wouldn’t you know it would be the side I was lowering! Amid my cries of “Oh No! What have I done?!” we managed to drop the dinghy the rest of the way, grab a line and tie up the davit, straighten out the solar panel, and figure out what happened. Jim was amazingly calm (he says he has given up swearing for a while) and merely said how glad he was that it happened in a calm bay instead of out on the rough seas of yesterday.

It turned out that the fitting at the top of the davit had broken clean in two. The solar panel was undamaged, and the only casualty was that fitting. So Jim rummaged around in one of his spare parts boxes, while I moved the cushion from the port settee to look for a different line to lash up the broken davit. That’s where the next problem showed up. We had been noticing more of a musty smell in the cabin, and sure enough, as I pulled out sailbags and coils of lines, they were all damp and mildewy. The mildew indicated that it had been damp in there for a while, but a taste test (my job) of the inch and a half of water at the bottom of the locker showed salt content. So who knows – an ongoing leak plus water coming in when we were so heeled over during yesterday’s passage? Whatever the reason, I spent the humid, hot morning dragging every last thing out of that locker, drying, mopping, repacking and cursing leaks. (I have not given up swearing.)

Jim made an excellent repair to the davit fitting– one that we think will last for the rest of the season if we take the outboard off the dinghy whenever we lift it. Fingers crossed on that. We laid all the lines out on the deck where rain will rinse them clean and then we can hang them to dry.

Meanwhile, Madcap continued to rock and roll due to swell coming through the cut in the reef and wind keeping us sideways to it. We decided we didn’t want another night of that so, after dinghying to Mango Creek Lodge for a welcoming conversation with Doc, we moved back through the bay to pick up a mooring ball in front of the resort. And that was the third and last dismal event of the day. We haven’t missed a mooring ball in years, but we missed that one. The opposing wind and current threw me off and I just didn’t get us close enough for Jim to snag the line. After making a half circle, I took us in close but it was an awkward reach for Jim and he badly banged his knee on a stanchion and bent the boathook. With Tylenol, Ibuprofen, ice and rum, his knee began to feel better but I was still mightily annoyed at myself for not doing a full circle like I know I should have and come back at that ball properly.

And so ended “one of those days”– just to remind us how good the other days are, and that once again, when bad things happen to us, they happen in good places. And Jim still isn’t swearing!

Comments
Vessel Name: Madcap
Vessel Make/Model: Bayfield 36
Hailing Port: Halifax, Nova Scotia
Crew: James D Bissell (Jim) and Elizabeth Lusby (Beth)
About: Beth and Jim have spent several winters sailing southern waters on s/v Madcap. They love Halifax in the summer, but loved to spend the winters exploring warmer places - the Bahamas, Cuba, Mexico, Guatemala, Belize, Honduras.
Extra:
The Madcap crew left Ottawa in 2007 to go sailing in the Bahamas. After a highly successful year, they returned to Canada, settled in Halifax, Nova Scotia, and in the fall of 2009 they left to do it again! Journey #3 (2010/11) took them back to the Bahamas and then on to Cuba for several weeks [...]
Social:
Madcap's Photos - Mad Cap Sailing (Main)
19 Photos
Created 15 May 2017
20 Photos
Created 20 April 2017
62 Photos
Created 30 March 2017
11 Photos
Created 6 April 2016
13 Photos
Created 6 April 2016
5 Photos
Created 6 April 2016
6 Photos
Created 9 March 2016
11 Photos
Created 9 March 2016
23 Photos
Created 25 February 2016
18 Photos
Created 21 February 2016
31 Photos
Created 20 February 2016
4 Photos
Created 20 February 2016
20 Photos
Created 19 February 2016
7 Photos
Created 9 February 2016
51 Photos
Created 24 November 2015
12 Photos
Created 28 October 2015
16 Photos
Created 9 October 2015
24 Photos
Created 3 December 2013
our Oct/Nov 2013 trip to New Zealand
36 Photos
Created 22 November 2013
9 Photos
Created 20 January 2013
Guatemala pics starting Nov 22, 2012
43 Photos
Created 6 December 2012
54 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 8 November 2012
trip to Zion National Park and Bryce Canyon National Park (via Las Vegas)
23 Photos
Created 4 November 2012
20 Photos
Created 1 November 2012
18 Photos
Created 12 February 2012
43 Photos
Created 29 January 2012
62 Photos
Created 19 May 2011
21 Photos
Created 19 May 2011
76 Photos
Created 19 May 2011
8 Photos
Created 19 May 2011