Madcap Sailing

31 December 2018 | Gold River Marina, Nova Scotia, Canada
06 August 2018 | Mahone Bay, Nova Scotia
26 May 2018 | Gold River Marina, Gold River, NS
18 May 2018 | Gold River Marina, Gold River, NS
24 March 2018 | boat in Gold River, NS and crew in Halifax
22 May 2017 | Whittaker Creek, Oriental, NC
15 May 2017 | Boat in Oriental, crew in New Orleans and Nova Scotia
26 April 2017 | Oriental, NC
26 April 2017 | Oriental, NC
20 April 2017 | Ocean Isle Marina, Ocean Beach, NC at Mile 335.6
17 April 2017 | Dewees Creek, near Charleston, NC
14 April 2017 | St Simons Island
12 April 2017 | Fernandina Beach, FL
11 April 2017 | St Augustine, FL
07 April 2017 | Vero Beach, Florida
03 April 2017 | Ft Pierce, FL
30 March 2017 | Ft Pierce, Florida

More Exploring and More Surprises

03 March 2014 | El Bight, Guanaja, Honduras
Beth/ hot, hot, hot
We worked on the head problem some more on Saturday morning and then Jim ripped out the “new in the fall” pump and replaced it with his spare Jabsco pump. While we don’t think it has quite solved the problem, it is certainly working better and we are not in danger of filling the tank without being able to empty it.

We went back to Manati restaurant for their Saturday special (BBQ pork or Goulash) and had a wonderful time with Vibeke and Poul (Pi) from Denmark, and Alice and Bjorn (Lady Mys) from Sweden, along with chatting with a number of expat Americans and some who have vacation homes here.

We managed to spend the whole of Sunday without fretting about any boat issues – sort of. I spent a couple of hours stitching up edges of the canvas on our bimini – the cockpit cover - where the sun has rotted out the stitching, and we hoped for wind to top up the battery charge a bit more. Now that the battery charge has dropped, it takes much longer for them to get and hold a proper charge.

Poul investigated the two-gabled house halfway up the hill and on Sunday evening, the Danes, Swedes and Canucks dinghied to the dock behind the two-story grey building and climbed the endless stairs to the top where we were rewarded with frosty beers and a stunning view of the anchorage. Note to cruisers – it is well worth visiting this restaurant, but place your order immediately upon arriving. We made the mistake of enjoying our beers for a half hour or so before requesting menus. And then we waited another hour and a half for food. It was delicious and affordable when it came (mains in the 180 lempira range – under $10 – for Bonacca shrimp in tomato sauce or cracked conch or sausage or crispy fried fish) but it was far too long to wait considering that there was just one other group eating food.

But the company was superb! The six of us range in age from early 60’s to early 70’s and both the Pi and Lady Mys crews have been sailing on fantastic adventures. Poul and Vibeke sailed around the Horn and spent many months exploring South America. Both boats have visited the Galapagos on the Pacific side, traversed the Panama Canal, spent time in the San Blas, and think nothing of visiting far and wide despite returning home for the summers. We sometimes think that perhaps this is as far as we need to go, but listening to these folks whets our appetites!

We dinghied through the canal that joins this side of the cay with Pine Bight on the north side. It’s only about a 10 minute run and opens up on a lovely big bay that would be a nice anchorage in settled weather. Although our guide book said there is a marker to commemorate Christopher Columbus’s visit in 1502, we didn’t find it. We did find a sturdy dock and pretty gazebo where we tied up the dinghy, enjoyed a swim and a picnic lunch. I strolled the beach but found no shells or sea glass. All the beaches here have been barren of shells – a bit of a disappointment.

We then stopped at the dock below a lighthouse-looking structure. As we walked around the outside, trying not to intrude but still have a look, Carlos called down a greeting and welcomed us inside. He is doing construction for a fellow who wants to open it as a restaurant – and it will be a lovely spot when that happens. The signs request that people respect this private property but Carlos said if he is there he is happy to have company. We climbed to the top where we had a fabulous view over the bay and could easily pick out the coral heads scattered around.

There are 3 Canadian boats in El Bight now – Monashee is from Vancouver with Scot, Sara, Alex, Chris and Katie on board. They are on a one year journey through the Northwest Caribbean and it has been great fun to talk with them. And then on Monday, Nina Belle, a big ketch from Victoria, arrived with 6 young men and women aboard, bound for the canal and then across the Pacific. Madcap joined Monashee in stopping by to say hello to fellow Canadians and it wasn’t long before Julie said, “My mother grew up in Amherst” – where Jim and I also grew up. It turns out that her grandfather is Robert Purdy – still in Amherst, NS and a friend of both our sets of parents. Jim’s dad would have been her mother’s guidance counselor at ARHS. Another crewmember is a grandson of Lawren Harris (and great grandson of the Group of Seven painter) who was teaching art at Mount A when Jim was there.

How amazing to find such connections. It happens often enough that I suppose it shouldn’t really astonish me, but it always does! So we have not only a beautiful and interesting island to enjoy, but also fascinating people and continual surprises.

Comments
Vessel Name: Madcap
Vessel Make/Model: Bayfield 36
Hailing Port: Halifax, Nova Scotia
Crew: James D Bissell (Jim) and Elizabeth Lusby (Beth)
About: Beth and Jim have spent several winters sailing southern waters on s/v Madcap. They love Halifax in the summer, but loved to spend the winters exploring warmer places - the Bahamas, Cuba, Mexico, Guatemala, Belize, Honduras.
Extra:
The Madcap crew left Ottawa in 2007 to go sailing in the Bahamas. After a highly successful year, they returned to Canada, settled in Halifax, Nova Scotia, and in the fall of 2009 they left to do it again! Journey #3 (2010/11) took them back to the Bahamas and then on to Cuba for several weeks [...]
Social:
Madcap's Photos - Mad Cap Sailing (Main)
19 Photos
Created 15 May 2017
20 Photos
Created 20 April 2017
62 Photos
Created 30 March 2017
11 Photos
Created 6 April 2016
13 Photos
Created 6 April 2016
5 Photos
Created 6 April 2016
6 Photos
Created 9 March 2016
11 Photos
Created 9 March 2016
23 Photos
Created 25 February 2016
18 Photos
Created 21 February 2016
31 Photos
Created 20 February 2016
4 Photos
Created 20 February 2016
20 Photos
Created 19 February 2016
7 Photos
Created 9 February 2016
51 Photos
Created 24 November 2015
12 Photos
Created 28 October 2015
16 Photos
Created 9 October 2015
24 Photos
Created 3 December 2013
our Oct/Nov 2013 trip to New Zealand
36 Photos
Created 22 November 2013
9 Photos
Created 20 January 2013
Guatemala pics starting Nov 22, 2012
43 Photos
Created 6 December 2012
54 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 8 November 2012
trip to Zion National Park and Bryce Canyon National Park (via Las Vegas)
23 Photos
Created 4 November 2012
20 Photos
Created 1 November 2012
18 Photos
Created 12 February 2012
43 Photos
Created 29 January 2012
62 Photos
Created 19 May 2011
21 Photos
Created 19 May 2011
76 Photos
Created 19 May 2011
8 Photos
Created 19 May 2011