Madcap Sailing

31 December 2018 | Gold River Marina, Nova Scotia, Canada
06 August 2018 | Mahone Bay, Nova Scotia
26 May 2018 | Gold River Marina, Gold River, NS
18 May 2018 | Gold River Marina, Gold River, NS
24 March 2018 | boat in Gold River, NS and crew in Halifax
22 May 2017 | Whittaker Creek, Oriental, NC
15 May 2017 | Boat in Oriental, crew in New Orleans and Nova Scotia
26 April 2017 | Oriental, NC
26 April 2017 | Oriental, NC
20 April 2017 | Ocean Isle Marina, Ocean Beach, NC at Mile 335.6
17 April 2017 | Dewees Creek, near Charleston, NC
14 April 2017 | St Simons Island
12 April 2017 | Fernandina Beach, FL
11 April 2017 | St Augustine, FL
07 April 2017 | Vero Beach, Florida
03 April 2017 | Ft Pierce, FL
30 March 2017 | Ft Pierce, Florida

Guanaja's Mountains and Reefs

08 March 2014 | El Bight, Guanaja, Honduras
Beth / sweat dripping down my back
We went climbing with Poul (Pi) the other day – and discovered how out of shape we are! We wore long pants to protect ourselves from the sharp grass and the ticks, and good footwear to grip the steep hillside – at least I thought mine was good until I checked the bottoms to see why I was sliding so much on the pine needles. Then I saw that the tread part of the soles was completely gone – the glue must have dried up in the summer heat and allowed them to wear off or fall off. You can bet I was doubly glad to have the sturdy walking stick that Poul provided.

We took a path behind Manati restaurant, followed a pleasant trail past houses and gardens, and then made a sharp turn to starboard and straight uphill, steadying ourselves with a not very well secured rope, and pausing for breath every few steps. From there the narrow path wandered along the ridge of the mountain, gradually rising to give gorgeous views over first, El Bight on the south side of the island, and then Pine Ridge Bight (where we climbed the faux lighthouse the other day) on the North side. From this vantage point you can really see how densely populated Bonacca cay is.) We walked along paths of white rock, and through semi shaded areas with long blades of sharp grass reaching out to grab at our pant legs. Jim and I stopped after a couple of hours but Poul continued to see if he could find the peak. He got close but would have had to go down and back up through a gulch to get where he thought it was so he decided to content himself with this visual accomplishment. While it seemed like hard work at the time, it’s a good excursion for anyone with a moderate to good fitness level – and (unlike our trek to the lighthouse at Cayos Cachinos) the views are stunning. The whole experience reminded us of how important it is to push ourselves physically whenever we can – that rush of endorphins feels so good.

When we got back to Madcap, I stripped off my long pants and shoes and jumped straight into the water - ah blessed relief!

The next day, we opted for a watery excursion. A gorgeous coral reef lies just off El Bight – inside the main reef and the line of cays that curves up the coast – just a 5 minute dinghy ride out from the anchorage – and better to go on a calm day. We tied the dinghy to a stake and spent a wonderful hour drifting along among coral heads rich with texture and colour, and feeding fishes. The heads dropped off to deep water so we could also enjoy that fabulous sight of schools of fish emerging from the blueness that so captivated us last year in Roatan. Jim spotted a porcupine fish, a big tiger grouper, among other good sized fish. I missed the big ones for some reason, but spent long periods watching brilliant tiny fishes flitting in and out of the coral. One of the joys of this particular snorkeling area is the varying depths of water and coral – we were following pathways, and looking sideways as well as downward.

After reluctantly dragging ourselves out of the water (it does get chilly even here in the Caribbean unless you wear a wetskin or suit) – we continued along the cays until we reached Graham’s place. This was once called Josh’s cay but I guess “Josh” gave up the name when Graham’s place was built. It’s an attractive and well-tended resort with hotel, bungalows, and open air restaurant all brightly painted in blues and pinks and yellows and greens. Right beside the dock, we watched sea turtles swimming in a penned area. I always hate to see sea creatures in pens, and I’m not sure if these are there merely for entertainment or if they are part of a protection program, but it was a nice chance to view these large and oddly elegant animals.

Our evenings have been filled with happy hours on Pi, Lady Mys and Madcap, as the six of us – from Denmark, Sweden and Canada have shared stories and great laughs along with food and drink. Alice and Bjorn outdid us all in the food department with platters of smoked salmon, potato salad and tomatoes. While we often forgo “dinner” after spending the early evening nibbling on a happy hour array of nuts and olives and crackers and assorted dips and cheeses, we really dined well that night.

And so it’s been a week now since we arrived. We thought we might go around to Michael’s Rock today but … we want to go back to that special snorkeling spot, and Matt and Renee (Outlandish) have arrived, along with a beautiful little ketch from Nova Scotia with Dave and Sara on board. There are people to visit, and good food to eat and more fish to watch. Maybe not another mountain to climb – unless we stay another week!
Comments
Vessel Name: Madcap
Vessel Make/Model: Bayfield 36
Hailing Port: Halifax, Nova Scotia
Crew: James D Bissell (Jim) and Elizabeth Lusby (Beth)
About: Beth and Jim have spent several winters sailing southern waters on s/v Madcap. They love Halifax in the summer, but loved to spend the winters exploring warmer places - the Bahamas, Cuba, Mexico, Guatemala, Belize, Honduras.
Extra:
The Madcap crew left Ottawa in 2007 to go sailing in the Bahamas. After a highly successful year, they returned to Canada, settled in Halifax, Nova Scotia, and in the fall of 2009 they left to do it again! Journey #3 (2010/11) took them back to the Bahamas and then on to Cuba for several weeks [...]
Social:
Madcap's Photos - Mad Cap Sailing (Main)
19 Photos
Created 15 May 2017
20 Photos
Created 20 April 2017
62 Photos
Created 30 March 2017
11 Photos
Created 6 April 2016
13 Photos
Created 6 April 2016
5 Photos
Created 6 April 2016
6 Photos
Created 9 March 2016
11 Photos
Created 9 March 2016
23 Photos
Created 25 February 2016
18 Photos
Created 21 February 2016
31 Photos
Created 20 February 2016
4 Photos
Created 20 February 2016
20 Photos
Created 19 February 2016
7 Photos
Created 9 February 2016
51 Photos
Created 24 November 2015
12 Photos
Created 28 October 2015
16 Photos
Created 9 October 2015
24 Photos
Created 3 December 2013
our Oct/Nov 2013 trip to New Zealand
36 Photos
Created 22 November 2013
9 Photos
Created 20 January 2013
Guatemala pics starting Nov 22, 2012
43 Photos
Created 6 December 2012
54 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 8 November 2012
trip to Zion National Park and Bryce Canyon National Park (via Las Vegas)
23 Photos
Created 4 November 2012
20 Photos
Created 1 November 2012
18 Photos
Created 12 February 2012
43 Photos
Created 29 January 2012
62 Photos
Created 19 May 2011
21 Photos
Created 19 May 2011
76 Photos
Created 19 May 2011
8 Photos
Created 19 May 2011