Madcap Sailing

31 December 2018 | Gold River Marina, Nova Scotia, Canada
06 August 2018 | Mahone Bay, Nova Scotia
26 May 2018 | Gold River Marina, Gold River, NS
18 May 2018 | Gold River Marina, Gold River, NS
24 March 2018 | boat in Gold River, NS and crew in Halifax
22 May 2017 | Whittaker Creek, Oriental, NC
15 May 2017 | Boat in Oriental, crew in New Orleans and Nova Scotia
26 April 2017 | Oriental, NC
26 April 2017 | Oriental, NC
20 April 2017 | Ocean Isle Marina, Ocean Beach, NC at Mile 335.6
17 April 2017 | Dewees Creek, near Charleston, NC
14 April 2017 | St Simons Island
12 April 2017 | Fernandina Beach, FL
11 April 2017 | St Augustine, FL
07 April 2017 | Vero Beach, Florida
03 April 2017 | Ft Pierce, FL
30 March 2017 | Ft Pierce, Florida

Monkey River with the King of the Howlers

11 February 2015 | Placencia, Belize
Beth / high 20's/swimsuits
Heather and Scott (Scott Free) and their visiting friends, Jeanette and Alan wanted to take a tour up the Monkey River and invited us to come along. Although we had done that 3 years ago, we opted to go again - this time with Percy Gordon who calls himself the king of the howlers. He picked us up sharp at Yoli's dock and we roared through the mangrove canals down to Monkey River, with good commentary all the way. We saw where Norwegian Cruise Lines is building an island playground and where they expect cruise ships to begin calling in 2016. Dredgers are at work in the waters near the island, and we could glimpse what looked like docks and canals on land. It always seems a shame to see this kind of development, but if it brings more work to the guides in the area, it may not be a totally bad thing.

As we neared the river entrance, he pointed out a beach bar where the hurricane of 2001 had washed away the beach. Local folks are gradually reclaiming the land, piling sandbags and planting trees but it is a slow process. Besides the immediate destruction of property in this kind of storm, it must be heartbreaking to see one's hopes and plans for a business just disappear overnight. Down in the village, we saw the same kind of evidence of storm-damaged houses - broken steps, waterlines high on buildings, altered beaches. Percy remarked on the clotheslines strung beneath houses and I laughed to hear that one of my theories about houses on stilts had some truth to it! Besides protecting them from rising water, those raised houses do allow the women to hang their clothes on the lines during the plentiful summer rains. And in Percy's words, "Those girls got to do a lot of washing. We fishermen and our clothes smell baaad!"

On our leisurely ride up the river, Percy's sharp eyes spotted tiger, blue and great herons, ibis, egrets, orioles, swallows and Montezuma's oropendolas. One towering ceiba tree was literally dripping with the teardrop shaped nests of these beautiful birds. We have seen the birds and the nests before in the Rio Dulce, but this was one impressive sight. He stopped by a clump of branches and announced that there was a small American crocodile in among the floating sticks, and before too long we all managed to see him - all that was visible at first was his head but he moved and we could see the remaining 2-3 feet. We stopped by another tree and peered and peered at the brown clumps there - that really looked like rough bark to me, but with binoculars we could see legs and folded wings. They were small brown bats.

We beached the lancha and went for a walk through the forest to find the howler monkeys that we could hear in the distance. Percy called to them, some of the other guides banged machetes on trees and sure enough we were soon able to look up and see them high above us. A male was making a lot of noise while a mother with a baby clinging to her chest made her way along a branch and took what seemed like a big leap from tree to tree. The males do the howling, and no matter how many times I hear it, I'm always a little spooked by such a fearsome roar from a relatively small animal. There were several groups of monkeys - and several groups of visitors - so we weren't all tramping over ourselves as we moved around for best views and pictures. As we walked through the forest, Percy gave us the names and medicinal uses of many trees and bushes - I can't begin to remember them all but there were plants for burns and snake bites, ones whose leaves made teas for all sorts of complaints and problems. The jungle forest really is a natural pharmacy.

Farther up the river, we stopped at a sandy bar and those who felt like it jumped in the river for a fresh water swim. (This wasn't an option on our last excursion here and Percy said he is the only guide who includes it - but I'd wear a swimsuit if I did this again. Jim had quick dry shorts on but I had to limit myself to splashing water on my arms and legs or else sit in wet clothes for the rest of the trip.)

Back down the river, we stopped for lunch at the little building in the village that seems to be part of Percy's operation. One other group was here, but the rest either ate elsewhere or didn't have lunch included. We smiled at the plates of stewed chicken, coconut rice, mashed potatoes and a pool of red beans - pretty heavy on the carbs and not the most interesting food, but typical of a village diet and tasty enough to satisfy our appetites.

After a walk through the village we piled into the lancha again for the return trip, stopping midway to look for manatees. Although we saw the smooth backs and flip of the tails as a couple of them dove below the surface, we never did get a close up look but it wasn't a problem - we saw plenty of other wildlife.

And then it was 2:30 and we were back at Yoli's dock after a thoroughly fine day of exploring. Check out Percy's information at www.barebonestours.com
Even though the big draw is the monkeys, I thought you might like this pic of the croc!
Comments
Vessel Name: Madcap
Vessel Make/Model: Bayfield 36
Hailing Port: Halifax, Nova Scotia
Crew: James D Bissell (Jim) and Elizabeth Lusby (Beth)
About: Beth and Jim have spent several winters sailing southern waters on s/v Madcap. They love Halifax in the summer, but loved to spend the winters exploring warmer places - the Bahamas, Cuba, Mexico, Guatemala, Belize, Honduras.
Extra:
The Madcap crew left Ottawa in 2007 to go sailing in the Bahamas. After a highly successful year, they returned to Canada, settled in Halifax, Nova Scotia, and in the fall of 2009 they left to do it again! Journey #3 (2010/11) took them back to the Bahamas and then on to Cuba for several weeks [...]
Social:
Madcap's Photos - Mad Cap Sailing (Main)
19 Photos
Created 15 May 2017
20 Photos
Created 20 April 2017
62 Photos
Created 30 March 2017
11 Photos
Created 6 April 2016
13 Photos
Created 6 April 2016
5 Photos
Created 6 April 2016
6 Photos
Created 9 March 2016
11 Photos
Created 9 March 2016
23 Photos
Created 25 February 2016
18 Photos
Created 21 February 2016
31 Photos
Created 20 February 2016
4 Photos
Created 20 February 2016
20 Photos
Created 19 February 2016
7 Photos
Created 9 February 2016
51 Photos
Created 24 November 2015
12 Photos
Created 28 October 2015
16 Photos
Created 9 October 2015
24 Photos
Created 3 December 2013
our Oct/Nov 2013 trip to New Zealand
36 Photos
Created 22 November 2013
9 Photos
Created 20 January 2013
Guatemala pics starting Nov 22, 2012
43 Photos
Created 6 December 2012
54 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 8 November 2012
trip to Zion National Park and Bryce Canyon National Park (via Las Vegas)
23 Photos
Created 4 November 2012
20 Photos
Created 1 November 2012
18 Photos
Created 12 February 2012
43 Photos
Created 29 January 2012
62 Photos
Created 19 May 2011
21 Photos
Created 19 May 2011
76 Photos
Created 19 May 2011
8 Photos
Created 19 May 2011