Madcap Sailing

31 December 2018 | Gold River Marina, Nova Scotia, Canada
06 August 2018 | Mahone Bay, Nova Scotia
26 May 2018 | Gold River Marina, Gold River, NS
18 May 2018 | Gold River Marina, Gold River, NS
24 March 2018 | boat in Gold River, NS and crew in Halifax
22 May 2017 | Whittaker Creek, Oriental, NC
15 May 2017 | Boat in Oriental, crew in New Orleans and Nova Scotia
26 April 2017 | Oriental, NC
26 April 2017 | Oriental, NC
20 April 2017 | Ocean Isle Marina, Ocean Beach, NC at Mile 335.6
17 April 2017 | Dewees Creek, near Charleston, NC
14 April 2017 | St Simons Island
12 April 2017 | Fernandina Beach, FL
11 April 2017 | St Augustine, FL
07 April 2017 | Vero Beach, Florida
03 April 2017 | Ft Pierce, FL
30 March 2017 | Ft Pierce, Florida

Exploring the Sapodilla Cays Part 3, Nicholas Cay

19 March 2015 | Nicholas Cay, Belize
Beth / bathing suit and flippers
Oh what a jewel this cay is! A little oval measuring less than a quarter mile at its widest point, it is ringed with velvety soft white sand, sits right beside the reef and has fabulous snorkeling on every side. And it is clean.

We floated around and over large coral heads alive with fish swimming in and out of crevices, conch studded turtle grass areas, sandy bottoms with scattered coral where schools of Blue Tangs with their smiley faces drifted by us and multi-coloured Wrasses flitted here there and everywhere, and yellow and blue striped French Grunts huddled next to the coral as we did the drifting by. We swam out where the swell from the reef made us work to stay in position, and farther in where there was so little water movement that we could hover easily.

We walked the beach a couple of times, watching hermit crabs and water crabs scuttle across sand and water, turning over lovely tulip shells and conchs to see their inhabitants quickly withdraw inside the curves of the shell, and picking up a small shard of what might be Mayan pottery left from the days when they would come here on fishing expeditions. And we met Leroy, the resident caretaker – such an articulate and caring young man who shared juicy oranges and grapefruit with us and talked about his experiences as part time special constable in Punta Gorda and part time island dweller. He lives here for a couple of months at a time, raking the sand, cleaning up the masses of Sargasso seaweed that wash ashore, and gathering up the garbage that comes in the same way. It is SO discouraging to see all the plastic that lands on these beaches. There are sandals and shoes and oil jugs and bits and pieces of broken plastic containers, but the most plentiful item by far is plastic bottles. Water bottles, soda bottles, juice bottles by the hundreds. What a terrible thing our society has done by getting so used to throw-away bottles. At Hunting Cay and others, it is just left there. At Nicholas Cay, it gets gathered up, bagged and sent over to Punta Gorda. (And I do not know what happens after that, although Leroy says there is a recycling facility somewhere near Cucumber Beach.)

Leroy is employed by Belcampo, the current owners of Nicholas Cay. A signpost welcomes visitors and encourages them to keep the cay clean. We learned that there were once 22 buildings on this little cay – built and never used. A large tiled patio looking out over the reef is partially broken down. What looks like it would have been a sheltered dining area with an expansive wooden floor and roof is linked to a nearby brick BarBQ and a concrete walled kitchen. Pathways link abandoned pilings where houses stood, and a conch shell wall surrounds the remains of the bathrooms. A sadness crept over me as I stood on that dining hall floor, looking out past the grand patio and thinking of the disappointments here. The natural vegetation was ripped away, somebody designed and built what might have been an attractive resort and it all came to nothing. Now the trees and vines try to take it back, but cement pilings, broken floors and roofs interrupt the greening. How many times does this happen in Belize? Is this what will become of the massive Sanctuary Belize development at Sapodilla Lagoon farther up the coast?

We didn’t learn what Belcampo’s plans might be for this cay, but we enjoyed meeting Leroy, snorkeling the surrounding waters, strolling the beaches and imagining the history – of the Mayan fishermen who came here, and of modern developers and their failed plans.

Despite the feeling of disappointment that pervades the interior, the cay felt like a jewel to us. The white sand is soft underfoot, the waters are clear, the fish are plentiful, and someone cares about it.
Comments
Vessel Name: Madcap
Vessel Make/Model: Bayfield 36
Hailing Port: Halifax, Nova Scotia
Crew: James D Bissell (Jim) and Elizabeth Lusby (Beth)
About: Beth and Jim have spent several winters sailing southern waters on s/v Madcap. They love Halifax in the summer, but loved to spend the winters exploring warmer places - the Bahamas, Cuba, Mexico, Guatemala, Belize, Honduras.
Extra:
The Madcap crew left Ottawa in 2007 to go sailing in the Bahamas. After a highly successful year, they returned to Canada, settled in Halifax, Nova Scotia, and in the fall of 2009 they left to do it again! Journey #3 (2010/11) took them back to the Bahamas and then on to Cuba for several weeks [...]
Social:
Madcap's Photos - Mad Cap Sailing (Main)
19 Photos
Created 15 May 2017
20 Photos
Created 20 April 2017
62 Photos
Created 30 March 2017
11 Photos
Created 6 April 2016
13 Photos
Created 6 April 2016
5 Photos
Created 6 April 2016
6 Photos
Created 9 March 2016
11 Photos
Created 9 March 2016
23 Photos
Created 25 February 2016
18 Photos
Created 21 February 2016
31 Photos
Created 20 February 2016
4 Photos
Created 20 February 2016
20 Photos
Created 19 February 2016
7 Photos
Created 9 February 2016
51 Photos
Created 24 November 2015
12 Photos
Created 28 October 2015
16 Photos
Created 9 October 2015
24 Photos
Created 3 December 2013
our Oct/Nov 2013 trip to New Zealand
36 Photos
Created 22 November 2013
9 Photos
Created 20 January 2013
Guatemala pics starting Nov 22, 2012
43 Photos
Created 6 December 2012
54 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 8 November 2012
trip to Zion National Park and Bryce Canyon National Park (via Las Vegas)
23 Photos
Created 4 November 2012
20 Photos
Created 1 November 2012
18 Photos
Created 12 February 2012
43 Photos
Created 29 January 2012
62 Photos
Created 19 May 2011
21 Photos
Created 19 May 2011
76 Photos
Created 19 May 2011
8 Photos
Created 19 May 2011