Madcap Sailing

31 December 2018 | Gold River Marina, Nova Scotia, Canada
06 August 2018 | Mahone Bay, Nova Scotia
26 May 2018 | Gold River Marina, Gold River, NS
18 May 2018 | Gold River Marina, Gold River, NS
24 March 2018 | boat in Gold River, NS and crew in Halifax
22 May 2017 | Whittaker Creek, Oriental, NC
15 May 2017 | Boat in Oriental, crew in New Orleans and Nova Scotia
26 April 2017 | Oriental, NC
26 April 2017 | Oriental, NC
20 April 2017 | Ocean Isle Marina, Ocean Beach, NC at Mile 335.6
17 April 2017 | Dewees Creek, near Charleston, NC
14 April 2017 | St Simons Island
12 April 2017 | Fernandina Beach, FL
11 April 2017 | St Augustine, FL
07 April 2017 | Vero Beach, Florida
03 April 2017 | Ft Pierce, FL
30 March 2017 | Ft Pierce, Florida

Silver Linings

23 August 2007 | Lunenburg
Beth
We had another in our series of engine "clouds" on Tuesday. Jim and I went ashore for an early morning walk, readied the boat for a sail to Lunenburg where we planned to meet Peggy and Glenn, our Halifax neighbours, and headed out of the harbour under cool, clear and windless skies.

Within ten minutes, that horrible old engine alarm started wailing. We last heard it in Riviere-au-Renard, Quebec and hoped never to hear it again!! Jim uttered a few mild curses, went below to see what was up, and after opening the engine compartment, increased the voltage on his language considerably. There was engine oil everywhere except where it should have been. We turned the engine off, turned the boat around and spent the next 40 minutes floating back to our mooring. With a few gentle nudges from the dinghy, Madcap sidled right up next to the ball and we were secure again.

It was really one of those excellent silver lining experiences. This could have happened when we were out on the ocean in rolling waves and strong winds. It could have happened when we were far from the services of a mechanic. It could have happened when we had no way to contact our friends and would have the added worry of leaving them wondering where we were. Instead, we were just a few minutes away from a dock. We were in a seaside town where a phone call confirmed that a well-regarded marine mechanic was on a job nearby and would stop in to troubleshoot the problem. We had a cell phone to call our friends and invite them to meet us in Mahone Bay instead of Lunenburg.

Jim cleaned up the worst of the oil spill and did some troubleshooting of his own. Peggy and Glenn arrived at noon and we had a fine lunch on board. We called an intermission before digging in to Peggy's delicious apple pie because Ken Knickle, the mechanic with a thousand stories arrived on the launch. (That was one of the perks of this marina - Mason offered launch service to and from the boats on moorings. Wifi and showers were also available.)

Ken confirmed that the problem was with a faulty oil filter installed in Halifax. He replaced it with a new one and had us all in stitches as he recounted some of his past escapades in the best tradition of Maritime storytellers. The fact that he knew Peggy's sister, and one of his stories involved a colourful judge whom Jim had appeared before during his years in Nova Scotia courtrooms, added to the head-shaking synchronicity of the day. The problem got fixed and Jim's engine maintenance skills have increased; we had an extra day in this lovely town, a fabulous visit with friends, and another story of our own!

On Wednesday morning we headed out once more for Lunenburg - successfully this time. The wind didn't pick up till we got here so we motored all the way. We discovered the perils of housekeeping while underway and the value of keeping a written record of course changes. As I finished doing up the breakfast dishes, I noticed that the wall around the bank of switches near the galley was grimy and decided to wipe it clean. Unfortunately I flipped the house battery switch, momentarily knocking out all our instruments. We were in a narrow passage at the time and it was due to Jim's quick grasp of what had happened and what to do that we came through without any trouble. The switch got flipped on again, the logbook was consulted, and we got back on course. Whew!

The view of Lunenburg as we rounded Battery Point was picture perfect. Lunenburg is a UNESCO World Heritage Site, and remains a working town. It was settled by German, Swiss and French colonists in the mid 1700's, and the architecture of the town reflects that heritage. The houses are colourful, the waterfront busy - and not just with touristy things. There are draggers and trawlers, dry-docks and warehouses, sail lofts and a foundry. We were delighted to see that Bluenose II was here, and so was the Picton Castle. Visitors were moving on and off the Bluenose II, and I took a picture of a fellow working high in the rigging of the Picton Castle. I visited the Fisheries Museum while Jim visited marine stores. We ate a fabulous lunch at Magnolia's Grill - justly famous seafood chowder, chicken satays, spinach salad - and picked up Lunenburg sausage and Tancook Island sauerkraut for dinner on board. "Some good!"

We're off on Thursday to LaHave and hope to catch up with Strathspey before too long. They have been a couple of days ahead of us and we haven't seen them for over a week. Jim and Blair sometimes make a connection on single side band radio, so we keep in touch, and we are all looking forward to sharing an anchorage one day soon. Oh - the stories we will each have to share!


Comments
Vessel Name: Madcap
Vessel Make/Model: Bayfield 36
Hailing Port: Halifax, Nova Scotia
Crew: James D Bissell (Jim) and Elizabeth Lusby (Beth)
About: Beth and Jim have spent several winters sailing southern waters on s/v Madcap. They love Halifax in the summer, but loved to spend the winters exploring warmer places - the Bahamas, Cuba, Mexico, Guatemala, Belize, Honduras.
Extra:
The Madcap crew left Ottawa in 2007 to go sailing in the Bahamas. After a highly successful year, they returned to Canada, settled in Halifax, Nova Scotia, and in the fall of 2009 they left to do it again! Journey #3 (2010/11) took them back to the Bahamas and then on to Cuba for several weeks [...]
Social:
Madcap's Photos - Mad Cap Sailing (Main)
19 Photos
Created 15 May 2017
20 Photos
Created 20 April 2017
62 Photos
Created 30 March 2017
11 Photos
Created 6 April 2016
13 Photos
Created 6 April 2016
5 Photos
Created 6 April 2016
6 Photos
Created 9 March 2016
11 Photos
Created 9 March 2016
23 Photos
Created 25 February 2016
18 Photos
Created 21 February 2016
31 Photos
Created 20 February 2016
4 Photos
Created 20 February 2016
20 Photos
Created 19 February 2016
7 Photos
Created 9 February 2016
51 Photos
Created 24 November 2015
12 Photos
Created 28 October 2015
16 Photos
Created 9 October 2015
24 Photos
Created 3 December 2013
our Oct/Nov 2013 trip to New Zealand
36 Photos
Created 22 November 2013
9 Photos
Created 20 January 2013
Guatemala pics starting Nov 22, 2012
43 Photos
Created 6 December 2012
54 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 8 November 2012
trip to Zion National Park and Bryce Canyon National Park (via Las Vegas)
23 Photos
Created 4 November 2012
20 Photos
Created 1 November 2012
18 Photos
Created 12 February 2012
43 Photos
Created 29 January 2012
62 Photos
Created 19 May 2011
21 Photos
Created 19 May 2011
76 Photos
Created 19 May 2011
8 Photos
Created 19 May 2011