Madcap Sailing

31 December 2018 | Gold River Marina, Nova Scotia, Canada
06 August 2018 | Mahone Bay, Nova Scotia
26 May 2018 | Gold River Marina, Gold River, NS
18 May 2018 | Gold River Marina, Gold River, NS
24 March 2018 | boat in Gold River, NS and crew in Halifax
22 May 2017 | Whittaker Creek, Oriental, NC
15 May 2017 | Boat in Oriental, crew in New Orleans and Nova Scotia
26 April 2017 | Oriental, NC
26 April 2017 | Oriental, NC
20 April 2017 | Ocean Isle Marina, Ocean Beach, NC at Mile 335.6
17 April 2017 | Dewees Creek, near Charleston, NC
14 April 2017 | St Simons Island
12 April 2017 | Fernandina Beach, FL
11 April 2017 | St Augustine, FL
07 April 2017 | Vero Beach, Florida
03 April 2017 | Ft Pierce, FL
30 March 2017 | Ft Pierce, Florida

Surfing Through the Reef - Not Recommended

07 January 2016 | San Pedro, Belize
Beth / windblown
After much discussion on Thursday about whether or not to, a) take the water taxi to San Pedro to check out, b) take Madcap up through the inside route to San Pedro, or c) go back down to Long Cay Pass, out through it, up to San Pedro on the outside of the reef. Well, we opted for the latter, and Madcap is anchored here in San Pedro, but it didn’t happen without some harried moments.

After an uneventful hour long motor trip back down past Cay Chapel, we made our way out Long Cay Pass through swells created by a stronger than forecast E wind with the mainsail rattling so badly we were sure something would break. We almost always put up the main before we start out anywhere because the boat feels better balanced with a sail up, and it is easier to do it where the water is calm. But we hadn’t reckoned on 15 minutes of bone shaking rattling. Once over the submerged reef and into deep water, we could head North on a really nice course. We passed several empty little skiffs bouncing about on the swells and watched carefully for the fishermen who were diving nearby. These Belizean fishermen are intrepid folks – whether crammed in their sailboats or alone in these tiny skiffs.

The engine went off; the staysail came out and we sailed for the next 2.5 hours. While we were enjoying the sail, those 2 metre swells and an East wind that was steadily 16-18 knots kept niggling at us. San Pedro pass is not a good one in strong winds. The main difficulty is that as you get to the middle of the break in the reef, where there is yellow buoy, you must swing to starboard to avoid a shoal directly in front of you. Not a problem at all on a calm day when visibility is good. But our choices were, go in, or turn around and go back. We couldn’t continue on to the next harbour because this was our Belize check out point.

We would never have attempted it if we didn’t have a track saved on our chart plotter. (That is a visible line on the chart, acting as a backup to the waypoints and showing exactly the course we have travelled before. We often save a track going in or out of tricky places, or where we have to enter or exit in the dark.) It would have been impossible to come out, but we thought we would be OK going in with the wind behind us, and a following sea. We took down both sails and started the engine.

I am usually on the wheel during entries and exits because as Jim says, “You have nerves of steel.” He stands on the bow because he has better eyesight and can spot hazards before I can.

So, I planted my feet, took a firm grip on the wheel and a big deep breath, reved up the engine – and we plowed forward. The surf was breaking all across the 100 yard wide opening and those swells were swinging the boat this way and that way across a 45 degree arc. As one wave took us to starboard too soon, Jim yelled, “to Port! To Port!” and I swung us hard over. We surfed by the end of the reef and around to starboard again, past the inner shoal, and into the relatively calmer 8 feet of crystal clear water.

I have to tell you, my legs were shaking as we circled around to find a sandy spot to anchor. I don’t mind tricky maneuverers, but I like to be in control; here, the sea and I were each battling for control! Jim was full of good cheer at the successful passage, saying that from his viewpoint on the bow, it was all good and we were never in danger – as long as we made the swing back to port. It wasn’t until the next day that he told me he had been gripping the forestay with all his might so that if we hit, he wouldn’t go flying overboard.

I don’t mean to make this overly dramatic – we weren’t risking life and limb. It was just one of the scarier things we’ve done, and I decided to write about it the way it felt. It was certainly one of the most nerve-wracking escapades of this adventure!

Once settled, we high-fived our safe arrival and I poured a healthy tumbler of scotch. We agree that we are not leaving until the wind is under 10 knots and there is not a hint of a wave across that entrance.

This picture shows boats with the reef in the background on a calm overcast day.
Comments
Vessel Name: Madcap
Vessel Make/Model: Bayfield 36
Hailing Port: Halifax, Nova Scotia
Crew: James D Bissell (Jim) and Elizabeth Lusby (Beth)
About: Beth and Jim have spent several winters sailing southern waters on s/v Madcap. They love Halifax in the summer, but loved to spend the winters exploring warmer places - the Bahamas, Cuba, Mexico, Guatemala, Belize, Honduras.
Extra:
The Madcap crew left Ottawa in 2007 to go sailing in the Bahamas. After a highly successful year, they returned to Canada, settled in Halifax, Nova Scotia, and in the fall of 2009 they left to do it again! Journey #3 (2010/11) took them back to the Bahamas and then on to Cuba for several weeks [...]
Social:
Madcap's Photos - Mad Cap Sailing (Main)
19 Photos
Created 15 May 2017
20 Photos
Created 20 April 2017
62 Photos
Created 30 March 2017
11 Photos
Created 6 April 2016
13 Photos
Created 6 April 2016
5 Photos
Created 6 April 2016
6 Photos
Created 9 March 2016
11 Photos
Created 9 March 2016
23 Photos
Created 25 February 2016
18 Photos
Created 21 February 2016
31 Photos
Created 20 February 2016
4 Photos
Created 20 February 2016
20 Photos
Created 19 February 2016
7 Photos
Created 9 February 2016
51 Photos
Created 24 November 2015
12 Photos
Created 28 October 2015
16 Photos
Created 9 October 2015
24 Photos
Created 3 December 2013
our Oct/Nov 2013 trip to New Zealand
36 Photos
Created 22 November 2013
9 Photos
Created 20 January 2013
Guatemala pics starting Nov 22, 2012
43 Photos
Created 6 December 2012
54 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 8 November 2012
trip to Zion National Park and Bryce Canyon National Park (via Las Vegas)
23 Photos
Created 4 November 2012
20 Photos
Created 1 November 2012
18 Photos
Created 12 February 2012
43 Photos
Created 29 January 2012
62 Photos
Created 19 May 2011
21 Photos
Created 19 May 2011
76 Photos
Created 19 May 2011
8 Photos
Created 19 May 2011