Madcap Sailing

31 December 2018 | Gold River Marina, Nova Scotia, Canada
06 August 2018 | Mahone Bay, Nova Scotia
26 May 2018 | Gold River Marina, Gold River, NS
18 May 2018 | Gold River Marina, Gold River, NS
24 March 2018 | boat in Gold River, NS and crew in Halifax
22 May 2017 | Whittaker Creek, Oriental, NC
15 May 2017 | Boat in Oriental, crew in New Orleans and Nova Scotia
26 April 2017 | Oriental, NC
26 April 2017 | Oriental, NC
20 April 2017 | Ocean Isle Marina, Ocean Beach, NC at Mile 335.6
17 April 2017 | Dewees Creek, near Charleston, NC
14 April 2017 | St Simons Island
12 April 2017 | Fernandina Beach, FL
11 April 2017 | St Augustine, FL
07 April 2017 | Vero Beach, Florida
03 April 2017 | Ft Pierce, FL
30 March 2017 | Ft Pierce, Florida

Juicy, Tender, Succulent

30 May 2008 | Charleston, SC
Beth
That's the way my dinner tasted the other night, and that's how this area felt to me.

Jim and I took the water taxi over to Charleston on Thursday afternoon, (leaves the marina on the hour - costs $5 one-way or $8 round trip per person), wandered around the streets to enjoy the sights and sounds, and devoured several of those heavenly southern concoctions of pecans, butter and sugar - pralines. They have to be one of my all-time favourite sweet treats - especially warm and fresh out of the pot.

We took the trolley back (free for Marina or Resort guests - leaves resort on even hours - like 2,4,6 - and returns about 15 minutes later from the Ben and Jerry's store on Market Street at Meeting St). Even though I complained that this marina is not as convenient as the City one, as long as one is willing to work around the trolly/taxi schedule, getting to historic downtown Charleston is not difficult.

We discovered that the Mount Pleasant side - where the Harbour Marina is located - has a different - and quite juicy feel! We got a real sense of the tides as we strolled along the wharf beside mud banks littered with oyster shells. Brown pelicans flew by us, perched on posts air-drying their wings much like the cormorants we have further north, and dove for fish. The water smelled salty - that smell that I can't even begin to describe - not unpleasant, not strong - just a bit of a tang - a juicy smell. Green grasses grew up luxuriantly along the mud banks, and more birds sang loudly from the midst of them. Laughing gulls with black heads and white bodies swooped around, and the occasional snowy white egret stalked along the edge of the water. For all the life above the water, we knew there was as much and more under it: fish, oysters and shrimp and crabs, dolphins and any number of plants and insects. The air was filled with the richness of all of them too. The word "succulent" came to mind and when I looked it up to see if it fit, the definition "full of vigour and richness; not dull" seemed just right.

Jim and I both remarked that we're not sure we could go back to fresh water. We love the possibility of spotting marine mammals, the buoyancy of salt water and the smell. We love the tides - that continuing reminder of the ebb and flow that is part of our own lives and of life on a larger scale. We love the way the currents help us get places, and the way the depth changes - giving us new vistas to see. (Well ... we don't always like the depth changes!) It is easier to see the channels at low tide, and there is more room for error at high tide. I kind of like the way the tide forces us to conform to a rhythm greater than our own - even when it means we have to get up early or stay out late to make a passage.

Dinner on Thursday night was succulent too. Gail left a message on the website that we should explore Shem Creek. Dixon, the trolley driver, told us one of his favourites was the Shem Creek Bar and Grill and drove us over there. On the porch, we met Mark, who volunteered that the food was the best there is and who walked us right inside. With all that, how could we go wrong?

Just before that though, we lingered on the bridge over the creek to watch the evening action. Shrimp boats lined both sides of the creek - with their long netted arms all neatly folded up. Pleasure boats were tied up wherever they could find a spot. Fishermen hosed off boat decks and diners lounged on restaurant decks. In the middle of it all, dolphins surfaced and dove as they fished the creek; pelicans floated between the boats, flew up and swooped down to fill their pouched beaks with dinner. The place was fully alive with both people and creatures.

Once inside the Shem Creek Bar and Grill, the choices were almost over-whelming - everything looked delicious. We finally settled on a couple of dishes and proceeded to eat one of the best meals we've had. Jim's big bowl of shrimp and scallops in a creamy sauce over white grits was perfectly cooked and seasoned. It was my platter of assorted seafood, all lightly saut�ed in butter and garlic that blew us both away. There was a chunk of mahi-mahi, a stuffed crab shell - that was mostly crab and not filler, juicy pink shrimp, and creamy white scallops that were soft and sweet and tender. The veggies - slices of yellow and green summer squash and carrots and long, thin beans were all crunchy-tender, and the grains of red rice were chewy. Oh - it was a feast and we ate and aahed and ate and aahed!

Juicy, tender, succulent, rich; we were filled in more ways than one when we got back to the boat that night.




Comments
Vessel Name: Madcap
Vessel Make/Model: Bayfield 36
Hailing Port: Halifax, Nova Scotia
Crew: James D Bissell (Jim) and Elizabeth Lusby (Beth)
About: Beth and Jim have spent several winters sailing southern waters on s/v Madcap. They love Halifax in the summer, but loved to spend the winters exploring warmer places - the Bahamas, Cuba, Mexico, Guatemala, Belize, Honduras.
Extra:
The Madcap crew left Ottawa in 2007 to go sailing in the Bahamas. After a highly successful year, they returned to Canada, settled in Halifax, Nova Scotia, and in the fall of 2009 they left to do it again! Journey #3 (2010/11) took them back to the Bahamas and then on to Cuba for several weeks [...]
Social:
Madcap's Photos - Mad Cap Sailing (Main)
19 Photos
Created 15 May 2017
20 Photos
Created 20 April 2017
62 Photos
Created 30 March 2017
11 Photos
Created 6 April 2016
13 Photos
Created 6 April 2016
5 Photos
Created 6 April 2016
6 Photos
Created 9 March 2016
11 Photos
Created 9 March 2016
23 Photos
Created 25 February 2016
18 Photos
Created 21 February 2016
31 Photos
Created 20 February 2016
4 Photos
Created 20 February 2016
20 Photos
Created 19 February 2016
7 Photos
Created 9 February 2016
51 Photos
Created 24 November 2015
12 Photos
Created 28 October 2015
16 Photos
Created 9 October 2015
24 Photos
Created 3 December 2013
our Oct/Nov 2013 trip to New Zealand
36 Photos
Created 22 November 2013
9 Photos
Created 20 January 2013
Guatemala pics starting Nov 22, 2012
43 Photos
Created 6 December 2012
54 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 8 November 2012
trip to Zion National Park and Bryce Canyon National Park (via Las Vegas)
23 Photos
Created 4 November 2012
20 Photos
Created 1 November 2012
18 Photos
Created 12 February 2012
43 Photos
Created 29 January 2012
62 Photos
Created 19 May 2011
21 Photos
Created 19 May 2011
76 Photos
Created 19 May 2011
8 Photos
Created 19 May 2011