Bookmark and Share
Madcap Sailing
Away We Go!
Beth / cool nights, hot days
27/01/2010/9:43 pm, Fort Lauderdale, FL

We are off across the Gulf Stream in the morning (Thurs, Jan 28). At least that's the plan! We intend to leave Cooley's Landing on slack tide - about 6:45 - in time to get through the bridges before they close for morning rush hour at 7:30. Once we're out Port Everglades inlet we'll set our course for Bimini if the wind is right. If not, we'll head a little further south for Gun Cay Cut (both in the Bahamas), and if that doesn't work either, we'll point even further south to No Name Harbour (still in Florida). This is such a change from the last trip when we were much more definite about landfall. Timing was always an issue, but this trip we are trying to keep open about both time and destination. How is that for being laid back??

Jim, Steve and I took the bus yesterday to Sailorman, stopping along the way to have BIG breakfasts at Lester's Diner. The # 6 bus picked us up near Walgreen's on 7th Ave and dropped us off at the corner of 84th (St, I think). It was just a short walk - right past Lester's - from there. ($1.50 unless you are a geezer, only $.75 then, and we could have gotten a day pass for $3.50). What a fun place Sailorman's is - like a good old NS Frenchy's for mariners. There were racks and shelves of everything imaginable - absolutely worth a trip even if there is nothing one wants - because there just might be something irresistible! Our purchases were pretty tame - a floatable cushion, some glue, a dinghy anchor, but we could have gotten motor parts or line or a life raft or seats or fishing gear or fuel filters. Boater's Warehouse is on 84th too so it is a 2 for 1 trip!

On Wednesday morning, Jim, Steve, Marc and I headed out to National Liquidators to check out the boats for sale. (Sandra is still feeling yucky and keeps close to the boat to see if she can shake this cold bug). We went on a few boats - including a 73 foot motor yacht that we could have gotten for less than a million! None of us was quite willing to put the money down.

A trip to Publix to restock the larder took part of the afternoon, and then it was a matter of loading water, hoisting the dinghy on the davits, stowing the things we've had spread all over the cabin while we've been stationary so they won't go flying if we manage to get heeling nicely on our crossing.

We had one final happy hour in Madcap's cockpit with Steve and Sandi (Princess), Ben (Loon) and Shel (Rainbow). It feels very weird to be going off tomorrow and leaving our good friends, but we'll meet up again and have new stories to share.

We will probably be away from internet and phones for a couple of days. I'll put up a posting as soon as I can. In the meantime, you may assume we are enjoying fair winds and finding that blue Bahama water!

| | More
28/01/2010/6:49 am | Monica and Tony
Hope you make it to the Bahamas and have a good sail.Look forward to hearing that you arrived safely. It's time now to enjoy some warmer weather hopefully. Ours is just about to get much colder. Have been enjoying your blog as always.
28/01/2010/10:15 am | Sandi and Steve
Steve tossed off Madcap's lines this am, and we heard from them that conditions were okay at about 8:30 am, so I think they are having a good crossing. Miss them already.
28/01/2010/4:05 pm | Linda Lusby
I just received an email from SPOT - they are off Port Royal at 25.69283,-79.30902. 6 pm AST.
Beth /high 70's daytime and high 60's in evening after front went through
26/01/2010/7:21 am, Fort Lauderdale, FL

We've had some wonderful gatherings over the last few days. Marc (Ma Muse) a Quebec sailor arrived Friday and we had a lively happy hour on Princess. We had seen the boat in Vero but didn't meet him there. On Saturday, Ben (Loon) with Gemma on board for a week, came up the river to tie up here at Cooley's Landing. Both single handers, Ben and Marc have been travelling together off and on for the last few hundred miles. Once again, Sandra and Steve played host. They have known Ben for many years from their Zahniser days. He left just before we got there and we didn't connect in Vero so it took until now for us to cross paths. Ben's story of his close encounter with the Jungle Queen (the big paddle wheel tourboat) down the river was a good reminder that it is essential to keep the VHF on 09 around here. That's the working channel for bridges and boat traffic. Fortunately no harm was done, but he would have preferred a less stressful meeting. The menu that night included delicious pulled pork, rice, broccoli salad and a fruit topped tart served with Sauterne - a dessert wine that Marc decided we needed to be introduced to. What a feast!

On Sunday, we invited our neighbour, Shel (Rainbow) over for happy hour. Sandra is fighting a cold so she stayed home, but Steve joined us as well. Shel is one of those really interesting characters that we have the pleasure of meeting from time to time. I'm pretty sure he is well into his 80's, has lived on his boat for over 25 years - sailing all over the place until he tied up permanently here at the marina. His wife passed on last year and he says he'd rather be here on his boat than anywhere else. The two of them retired from their jobs and set sail back in the 1980s. What stories he had to tell - of celestial navigation on naval ships and passage making with his wife. What a tease he is too. Every morning he asks Jim, "What are you going to louse up today?" Fortunately nothing yet!! I wonder if we will still be sailing in another 30 years? Imagine the places we could go!

We had a good bit of wind Sunday night and another blow with rain on Monday afternoon as a northerly front moved through. Although it wasn't overly fierce, with gusts of 10 - 15 kn, we felt very pleased to be on a dock. This luxury will end soon, but it is very nice as long as it lasts! The temperature has dropped considerably tonight - although it cannot be considered cold - and the air is clearer since the rain.

Tomorrow we are off to visit Sailorman - the local marine consignment store. I'm expecting a UPS delivery from home, and Avatar is on at the Imax theatre. We really need to do a little boat cleanup too. We packed away several bags of cold weather clothing (Thanks for those Eagle Creek vacuum bags, Liam) and I'm still stuffing every available spot with bags of crackers and nuts and chips and chocolate. Jim knocks a few maintenance jobs off his list every day just so we don't feel like total sloths.

The wind isn't coming from the right direction for a crossing for the next few days so we will continue our snail's pace and stay here for a few more days.

| | More
Many Facets
Beth / 80's again
24/01/2010/7:18 am, Fort Lauderdale, FL

In our walkabouts lately we've seen a few different facets of life here. There is the flashy scene along the New River and down around Bahia Mar. These are big money areas with mansions and yachts (definitely not called boats at this level!) A couple of blocks back, one sees regular people going to and from work in plain grey cement government buildings. There are the park benches that some call "home". Our walk from the marina to the local Publix (grocery store) takes us through old Florida south neighbourhoods - small bungalows with dusty yards tucked off busy thoroughfares with cars roaring by. We have been surprised by the lack of sidewalks in some areas. Is everyone expected to drive? We were told that the developers were not forced to put them in. Well gee!

We've walked down Las Olas Blvd with its toney restaurants and shops - one being a bakery where I bought a fabulous loaf of walnut raisin bread. Both a drugstore and a service station that sells diesel are also within walking distance. This little marina is a gem. It is low key and small, friendly and affordable. (We're paying about $35. per night for our 36 ft boat.) The washers and dryers cost $1.50 per load; the showers are clean with plentiful hot water.

We've taken a couple of dinghy rides up the river to see more incredible yachts. The repair and refit yards are another mile or two up this winding river, and it is a real experience to see dozens of enormous yachts there. No kidding - there are millions and millions of dollars worth of boats there and tied up all along the river. We hear that at any given time, there are about a billion dollars worth of yachts in Fort Lauderdale. At boat show time in October, another couple of billion dollars worth are here. It is amazing to see the largest ones being towed up and down with a tug ahead and another one behind. Apparently that is cheaper than having the ship's captain pilot the ship in these tricky waters.

Sunday's adventure was the concern over a manatee that had come into the boat ramp area of the marina. It was a large one and had many scars on its back. These creatures are slow moving and are often hit by the props of speeding boats. Along with old scars, this one had a raw, red gash and we were all worried about her. Adding to the poignancy was the fact that she had a calf with her. We could see the little nose pop up regularly to breathe. A dog-walker called the wildlife people; I took pictures and sent them in; a sheriff's deputy and paramedics in a fire truck all came to check on her. They determined that since she was breathing regularly (every 3 - 4 minutes) and wasn't listing to one side, she was probably OK and had just come in to rest. The staff roped off the ramp for the day and by evening she and her calf had left. We've wanted to see a manatee for a long time; I wish the circumstances had been different, but at least it seems to have turned out well.

| | More

Newer ]  |  [ Older ]


Powered by SailBlogs