Madcap Sailing

31 December 2018 | Gold River Marina, Nova Scotia, Canada
06 August 2018 | Mahone Bay, Nova Scotia
26 May 2018 | Gold River Marina, Gold River, NS
18 May 2018 | Gold River Marina, Gold River, NS
24 March 2018 | boat in Gold River, NS and crew in Halifax
22 May 2017 | Whittaker Creek, Oriental, NC
15 May 2017 | Boat in Oriental, crew in New Orleans and Nova Scotia
26 April 2017 | Oriental, NC
26 April 2017 | Oriental, NC
20 April 2017 | Ocean Isle Marina, Ocean Beach, NC at Mile 335.6
17 April 2017 | Dewees Creek, near Charleston, NC
14 April 2017 | St Simons Island
12 April 2017 | Fernandina Beach, FL
11 April 2017 | St Augustine, FL
07 April 2017 | Vero Beach, Florida
03 April 2017 | Ft Pierce, FL
30 March 2017 | Ft Pierce, Florida

Spring

21 March 2010 | Georgetown, Exumas
Beth / temp in the 80's, ESE 12-17kn
We've been enjoying some of the best weather of the trip. Maybe spring means fewer cold fronts? The wind has stayed down (unfortunately that meant running the honda generator for a few hours on Saturday) and the skies have been sunny.

We went beach walking with Kathy and Mike (Sapphire) and both Kathy and I added to our store of palm fronds for weaving. I have finally learned to pick the right ones! The trunks of these are smooth, and the fronds don't go ZZZIP when I split them. It's worth splitting a frond whenever I'm plucking because the right ones and wrong ones are all mixed in together in the shrubbery. I'm amazed that we found any since there is such a weaving community here. Kathy's baskets are lovely intricate ones with a small tight weave, rounded and lipped and with decorative finishes - beautiful. I love the way each of us develops our own style. My baskets and those of the weavers I've learned from - Mary Lou, Nancy, Marilyn and Kathy - are all individual - finely detailed or chunky, round or oval or square, lidded or open, with and without handles. They hold breads, shells, fruit and vegetables. None of us is making the Red Bays kind that are so tight it is said they can hold water!

We have enjoyed happy hours and dinners in several places over the last few days. On Thursday we joined John and Jerie (Peking) at a happy hour hosted by Mary Lou and Bob (Cygnus). What fun it was to see those two again. Bob has shed his military style haircut and clean shaven look for a full head of snowy hair, white beard and a shiny earring in one earlobe - like a nautical Santa - without the belly! What a shift! He looks great and feels good after his heart surgery two years ago (shortly after we visited them at their home in the Chesapeake). Mary Lou is in fine shape too and has been having a busy time of it here in Georgetown. She was in charge of Children's Day at the Cruiser's Regatta, and is really into the swing of Georgetown life. We shared lots of laughs with John and Jerie including urging John and Jim to allow Mary Lou to pierce their ears. Neither one of them would accept the offer. Jib and Spinnaker, the two resident Yorkies on Cygnus were great fun to watch and play with, and Mary Lou once again helped me with my weaving. She was my original teacher and was able to give me some tips on making my baskets sturdier.

Mike and Kathy came over for dinner on Madcap one night. We made a stop at the Captain Ryan - a local boat fresh back from the fishing grounds - where we purchased some hogfish that I panfried and served with a spicy rice/chickpea dish. (We discovered that the rice was better cold the next day with a drizzle of olive oil and lemon juice.) We had unearthed our last bottle of Jost l'Acadie Blanc wine from NS that tasted light and refreshing in the heat.

An invitation from Nathalie and Stephen took us over to Katmandu for dinner on Saturday. They were fine hosts and we enjoyed our BBQ pork along with BBQ sweet and white potatoes, as well as the chance to practice our French a bit. Nathalie has a really good linguistic ear and demonstrated the difference between English spoken with a French Canadian accent and that spoken with a Continental French accent. I'll have to listen harder now! Their children, Sabrina, Stephanie and Francis are lively, well-mannered and interesting and we enjoyed their company too. I have so much respect for families like this who are out here on adventures. They do home schooling (Nathalie had to make up her own curriculum for all three children), they learn to live together in small quarters (not an easy thing with adolescents and teenagers), they make friends with children and adults alike, and they share responsibilities.

We've each done some reading. Jim just finished "Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" and has moved right on to the next in the series of three, "Girl Who Plays with Fire". I enjoyed reading "Lost in Translation" set in China and nothing like the movie of the same name, and am now going back to "Guns, Germs, and Steel" until I have to have a fiction break again! I must admit, I'm more apt to pick up my weaving these days and listen to the radio than I am to pick up an "educational" book!

We took in the sights and sounds of the Heritage Festival during the afternoon on Saturday. Unfortunately the fine music is only in the evenings and we haven't gone over then, but we took in the corn husking and onion peeling contests and watched the children in their races among some other "people watching" on Saturday. The young men and women were "dressed to the nines" (as Mum used to say) with spiffy clothes, makeup, hairstyles - all out to mingle with their friends in the park. I bought some homemade cake from "Prince Trevor" and noticed that the champion onion peeler was "Lord Stanley". I need to find out whether these are given names or nicknames. I haven't quite wanted to ask the guys themselves, but I should have!

We're off to the beach again Sunday afternoon. The wind has picked up and there is no way we're going far in the dinghy. Each ride lately has meant soaked clothes and the life rails are full of washing - too bad Charles isn't here with his camera!

Comments
Vessel Name: Madcap
Vessel Make/Model: Bayfield 36
Hailing Port: Halifax, Nova Scotia
Crew: James D Bissell (Jim) and Elizabeth Lusby (Beth)
About: Beth and Jim have spent several winters sailing southern waters on s/v Madcap. They love Halifax in the summer, but loved to spend the winters exploring warmer places - the Bahamas, Cuba, Mexico, Guatemala, Belize, Honduras.
Extra:
The Madcap crew left Ottawa in 2007 to go sailing in the Bahamas. After a highly successful year, they returned to Canada, settled in Halifax, Nova Scotia, and in the fall of 2009 they left to do it again! Journey #3 (2010/11) took them back to the Bahamas and then on to Cuba for several weeks [...]
Social:
Madcap's Photos - Mad Cap Sailing (Main)
19 Photos
Created 15 May 2017
20 Photos
Created 20 April 2017
62 Photos
Created 30 March 2017
11 Photos
Created 6 April 2016
13 Photos
Created 6 April 2016
5 Photos
Created 6 April 2016
6 Photos
Created 9 March 2016
11 Photos
Created 9 March 2016
23 Photos
Created 25 February 2016
18 Photos
Created 21 February 2016
31 Photos
Created 20 February 2016
4 Photos
Created 20 February 2016
20 Photos
Created 19 February 2016
7 Photos
Created 9 February 2016
51 Photos
Created 24 November 2015
12 Photos
Created 28 October 2015
16 Photos
Created 9 October 2015
24 Photos
Created 3 December 2013
our Oct/Nov 2013 trip to New Zealand
36 Photos
Created 22 November 2013
9 Photos
Created 20 January 2013
Guatemala pics starting Nov 22, 2012
43 Photos
Created 6 December 2012
54 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 8 November 2012
trip to Zion National Park and Bryce Canyon National Park (via Las Vegas)
23 Photos
Created 4 November 2012
20 Photos
Created 1 November 2012
18 Photos
Created 12 February 2012
43 Photos
Created 29 January 2012
62 Photos
Created 19 May 2011
21 Photos
Created 19 May 2011
76 Photos
Created 19 May 2011
8 Photos
Created 19 May 2011