Madcap Sailing

31 December 2018 | Gold River Marina, Nova Scotia, Canada
06 August 2018 | Mahone Bay, Nova Scotia
26 May 2018 | Gold River Marina, Gold River, NS
18 May 2018 | Gold River Marina, Gold River, NS
24 March 2018 | boat in Gold River, NS and crew in Halifax
22 May 2017 | Whittaker Creek, Oriental, NC
15 May 2017 | Boat in Oriental, crew in New Orleans and Nova Scotia
26 April 2017 | Oriental, NC
26 April 2017 | Oriental, NC
20 April 2017 | Ocean Isle Marina, Ocean Beach, NC at Mile 335.6
17 April 2017 | Dewees Creek, near Charleston, NC
14 April 2017 | St Simons Island
12 April 2017 | Fernandina Beach, FL
11 April 2017 | St Augustine, FL
07 April 2017 | Vero Beach, Florida
03 April 2017 | Ft Pierce, FL
30 March 2017 | Ft Pierce, Florida

Looking forward

06 October 2010 | Fernandina Beach, FL (that's where the boat is!)
Beth
Jim and I have had a wonderful summer at home in Nova Scotia. We spent city time in Halifax, cottage time on the Northumberland Strait between NS/NB and PEI, enjoyed trips to British Columbia and Ontario and PEI and Maine, and hardly missed Madcap at all.

On one particular evening earlier in the summer, we were feeling a bit mopey - missing our cruising friends and not really back into the swing of things in Halifax. We headed for the cottage and decided to stop for pizza in Tidnish. We had heard from a couple of sources that the bread and pizza at "Bev's Breads" were delicious, and that they were sailing folks. I was pretty sure Bev was the woman I had met a couple of years ago at Tiger Point Marine and that Jean was the guy who had challenged me over whether Tidnish was in NS or PEI. (Of course it is NS). Sure enough, as we walked through their flower filled yard, Bev met us, remembered us, and declared that we must come through to the comfy waterfront deck for a glass of wine and a chat before the pizza. We were instantly cast back into cruising mode as we sat with these two gracious people and reminisced about boats and lives and people we knew in common. The pizza and bread we took home with us were mouth wateringly delicious too. What a fine night.

We had visits from a few cruising friends and met a couple of new ones on the waterfront. Our own comfortable back deck was the perfect substitute for a cockpit on these occasions. We watched whales and dolphins from the ferry that plies the waters between Campobello and Deer Islands in New Brunswick. We listened to the gulls and terns and crows at the cottage. We frequented the Farmers Market in Halifax - both at the Brewery and the new Seaport site, and we regularly walked the waterfront boardwalk. In short, we managed to keep a connection with the water even as we enjoyed being landlubbers again for the summer.

Our beloved sailing ship stayed on the hard at Tiger Point Marine in Fernandina Beach, Florida, where we hope to find her all fixed up and ready to go again next month. As I chatted with Ken (Fair Wind) on the waterfront one sunny day, I mused that it would be nice to be tied up there making plans for a southbound trip, but by the time Jim and I walked back in the evening, we were both very happy to know we will be starting the cruise from north Florida this year. No more north east coastal weather concerns. As I write this however, the temperature has taken another swing upward. The picture shows the water at the cottage (Northumberland Strait) just after I got out of it. Imagine, swimming in Nova Scotia in October! (And now, by the time I am posting this, we are back to typically cool and sunny autumn weather.)

For the next couple of weeks, we will attempt to get to the end of our Halifax to-do list and say our goodbyes to the family here. We'll also drive to Annapolis, MD to attend the Sail Boat show (Oct 8 - 10) and do some visiting in the area. We sure hope to see lots of familiar faces there!

Our plans for getting to Florida have been changing daily, but we have now committed ourselves to a new route. We'll fly from Halifax to Boston on Oct 30, and take the train the next day from Boston to Jacksonville, FL, arriving there on Nov 1. An adventure on the way to an adventure.

We are both expecting another great cruising year (fingers crossed for fewer electrical challenges) with lots of new experiences. We will launch Madcap in early November and that's about as far as our planning goes at this point! Stay tuned for more!!
Comments
Vessel Name: Madcap
Vessel Make/Model: Bayfield 36
Hailing Port: Halifax, Nova Scotia
Crew: James D Bissell (Jim) and Elizabeth Lusby (Beth)
About: Beth and Jim have spent several winters sailing southern waters on s/v Madcap. They love Halifax in the summer, but loved to spend the winters exploring warmer places - the Bahamas, Cuba, Mexico, Guatemala, Belize, Honduras.
Extra:
The Madcap crew left Ottawa in 2007 to go sailing in the Bahamas. After a highly successful year, they returned to Canada, settled in Halifax, Nova Scotia, and in the fall of 2009 they left to do it again! Journey #3 (2010/11) took them back to the Bahamas and then on to Cuba for several weeks [...]
Social:
Madcap's Photos - Mad Cap Sailing (Main)
19 Photos
Created 15 May 2017
20 Photos
Created 20 April 2017
62 Photos
Created 30 March 2017
11 Photos
Created 6 April 2016
13 Photos
Created 6 April 2016
5 Photos
Created 6 April 2016
6 Photos
Created 9 March 2016
11 Photos
Created 9 March 2016
23 Photos
Created 25 February 2016
18 Photos
Created 21 February 2016
31 Photos
Created 20 February 2016
4 Photos
Created 20 February 2016
20 Photos
Created 19 February 2016
7 Photos
Created 9 February 2016
51 Photos
Created 24 November 2015
12 Photos
Created 28 October 2015
16 Photos
Created 9 October 2015
24 Photos
Created 3 December 2013
our Oct/Nov 2013 trip to New Zealand
36 Photos
Created 22 November 2013
9 Photos
Created 20 January 2013
Guatemala pics starting Nov 22, 2012
43 Photos
Created 6 December 2012
54 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 8 November 2012
trip to Zion National Park and Bryce Canyon National Park (via Las Vegas)
23 Photos
Created 4 November 2012
20 Photos
Created 1 November 2012
18 Photos
Created 12 February 2012
43 Photos
Created 29 January 2012
62 Photos
Created 19 May 2011
21 Photos
Created 19 May 2011
76 Photos
Created 19 May 2011
8 Photos
Created 19 May 2011