Madcap Sailing

31 December 2018 | Gold River Marina, Nova Scotia, Canada
06 August 2018 | Mahone Bay, Nova Scotia
26 May 2018 | Gold River Marina, Gold River, NS
18 May 2018 | Gold River Marina, Gold River, NS
24 March 2018 | boat in Gold River, NS and crew in Halifax
22 May 2017 | Whittaker Creek, Oriental, NC
15 May 2017 | Boat in Oriental, crew in New Orleans and Nova Scotia
26 April 2017 | Oriental, NC
26 April 2017 | Oriental, NC
20 April 2017 | Ocean Isle Marina, Ocean Beach, NC at Mile 335.6
17 April 2017 | Dewees Creek, near Charleston, NC
14 April 2017 | St Simons Island
12 April 2017 | Fernandina Beach, FL
11 April 2017 | St Augustine, FL
07 April 2017 | Vero Beach, Florida
03 April 2017 | Ft Pierce, FL
30 March 2017 | Ft Pierce, Florida

Around and About, by Cab, Dinghy and Golf Cart

20 February 2012 | Milagro Marina, Isla Mujeres, Mexico
Beth / 80's and 90's
Because Isla Mujeres is a mere 8 kilometers long and just under a kilometer wide, it is a great place for convenient exploration. We can easily walk to centro and all around punta norte if we turn left (a la izquierda) from the front gate, and halfway down the lagoon if we turn right (a la derecha).

We’ve done a lot of walking in both directions because it is just so easy, but one evening we took a cab with Angelina to visit Tom and Michelle’s new property down on the southwest end of the island. Tom’s daughter Julie and her husband Eric were in on the fun too. We all walked out on their very long dock just as the sun went down to raise glasses in a toast to their good fortune and exciting plans. No green flash, but it was spectacular anyway! Add in the munching of pistachio nuts and sipping of wine with these new friends as we lounged in hammock and easy chair under the large thatched palapa, and the evening was pretty much perfect.

Little red cabs fly along the roads all the time, giving a quick honk to question whether or not we want a pick up. It’s easy to hail one, agree upon the fare and hop in. Scooters and golf carts make up pretty much the rest of the traffic, and one must be VERY alert to the significant speed bumps. There seem to be no particular lanes – everyone just passes whenever they want, but all slow right down for the bumps which are sometimes pavement and sometimes big thick ropes laid across the road. One thing I’ve noticed is that all adults wear helmets on the motorbikes but few of the little children tucked between them do. Most of the bikes will have a couple of adults and at least one child – they are the family cars. It makes no sense to me that the smallest heads are unprotected – but that seems to be the general rule.

Jim and I dinghied out to the reef just off the anchorage and did a little snorkeling. The current was really strong so there was no lazy circling of the rocks and coral but we did see some good sized colourful fish. We figured out that the best method was to kick as hard as we could to move upstream and then whoosh back to the dinghy. The park rangers came by to tell us we needed life jackets on – first time we have seen this – apparently because they are serious about keeping people off the coral. Hordes of people are taken there on heavily overloaded catamarans again and again during the day so it really is an issue.

We explored the lagoon in Yonder’s dinghy one day, gazing at expensive power boats, sport fishing boats and sailboats at the various marinas, and Jim and I went down along the western side of the island in our own li’l Loonie, oohing and aahing at the beautiful hotels and waterfront properties along this coast. We grumbled as we passed by the dolphin play area where hordes more tourists are taken to swim with the dophins because after watching these lovely creatures play alongside our boat in the open water on so many occasions, it seems horrid to see them penned up and acting as living water toys for moneyed turistos. (I think my bias might be showing so I’ll say no more!)

On another day, we rented a golf cart and set off to see the whole island by land. Golf carts cost 500 pesos for the day (9-5) or 600 for a 24 hour period and there are several rental places in town. We headed south, stopping at the Turtle farm - a decidedly low key operation where efforts are being made to educate people about turtles, protecting their breeding grounds and attempting to increase their population again. This was the first time we have seen white turtles and their shells (and those of the green turtles too) were exquisite in design and colour.

We stopped for lunch at Rolandi’s – a magnificent hotel and dining room perched right on the edge of the water. The service was friendly and sophisticated, our calamari and pizza were delicious and the price was not bad for lunch at an upscale dining room ($35 US for two meals and 2 drinks –it won’t be on our daily list when we can eat equally delicious food at spots with plastic chairs and sandy floors for $15 US, but still it is nice to splurge now and then.)

Next stop on the great golf cart tour was Punta Sud – the southern most point of the island. An entertainment park has been established near there with zip lines over the water, but we avoided that and paid our 30 pesos to walk around the odd little park at the bottom. Metal sculptures that added little to the visual interest are scattered throughout the area, but we enjoyed our stroll along the cliffs on both sides, perching high atop a rocky outcrop to look across to the west and anxiously watching some snorkelers over a reef to the east. We had taken our snorkel gear with us, but the wind was from the south and had whipped up the waves over reefs on both sides so we kept all but our feet dry on this day.

Many properties are for sale at the south end – particularly on the eastern side. The views from the cliffs are wonderful, but the west is certainly favoured for beaches and sunsets.

Soon enough, our golf cart hours came to an end and we dropped it off just in time to spend an evening in the busy downtown area where Calle Hidalgo and many other streets are lined with dozens of shops and restaurants for the delight of the island’s main industry – tourists. No shopping for me so far – just enjoying the colours and textures, smiling at the vendors and practicing my most used Spanish phrase in this area. “Hoy no, gracias.” (Not today, thank you.)
PS - I am having trouble getting pics up but I will keep trying
Comments
Vessel Name: Madcap
Vessel Make/Model: Bayfield 36
Hailing Port: Halifax, Nova Scotia
Crew: James D Bissell (Jim) and Elizabeth Lusby (Beth)
About: Beth and Jim have spent several winters sailing southern waters on s/v Madcap. They love Halifax in the summer, but loved to spend the winters exploring warmer places - the Bahamas, Cuba, Mexico, Guatemala, Belize, Honduras.
Extra:
The Madcap crew left Ottawa in 2007 to go sailing in the Bahamas. After a highly successful year, they returned to Canada, settled in Halifax, Nova Scotia, and in the fall of 2009 they left to do it again! Journey #3 (2010/11) took them back to the Bahamas and then on to Cuba for several weeks [...]
Social:
Madcap's Photos - Mad Cap Sailing (Main)
19 Photos
Created 15 May 2017
20 Photos
Created 20 April 2017
62 Photos
Created 30 March 2017
11 Photos
Created 6 April 2016
13 Photos
Created 6 April 2016
5 Photos
Created 6 April 2016
6 Photos
Created 9 March 2016
11 Photos
Created 9 March 2016
23 Photos
Created 25 February 2016
18 Photos
Created 21 February 2016
31 Photos
Created 20 February 2016
4 Photos
Created 20 February 2016
20 Photos
Created 19 February 2016
7 Photos
Created 9 February 2016
51 Photos
Created 24 November 2015
12 Photos
Created 28 October 2015
16 Photos
Created 9 October 2015
24 Photos
Created 3 December 2013
our Oct/Nov 2013 trip to New Zealand
36 Photos
Created 22 November 2013
9 Photos
Created 20 January 2013
Guatemala pics starting Nov 22, 2012
43 Photos
Created 6 December 2012
54 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 8 November 2012
trip to Zion National Park and Bryce Canyon National Park (via Las Vegas)
23 Photos
Created 4 November 2012
20 Photos
Created 1 November 2012
18 Photos
Created 12 February 2012
43 Photos
Created 29 January 2012
62 Photos
Created 19 May 2011
21 Photos
Created 19 May 2011
76 Photos
Created 19 May 2011
8 Photos
Created 19 May 2011