Madcap Sailing

31 December 2018 | Gold River Marina, Nova Scotia, Canada
06 August 2018 | Mahone Bay, Nova Scotia
26 May 2018 | Gold River Marina, Gold River, NS
18 May 2018 | Gold River Marina, Gold River, NS
24 March 2018 | boat in Gold River, NS and crew in Halifax
22 May 2017 | Whittaker Creek, Oriental, NC
15 May 2017 | Boat in Oriental, crew in New Orleans and Nova Scotia
26 April 2017 | Oriental, NC
26 April 2017 | Oriental, NC
20 April 2017 | Ocean Isle Marina, Ocean Beach, NC at Mile 335.6
17 April 2017 | Dewees Creek, near Charleston, NC
14 April 2017 | St Simons Island
12 April 2017 | Fernandina Beach, FL
11 April 2017 | St Augustine, FL
07 April 2017 | Vero Beach, Florida
03 April 2017 | Ft Pierce, FL
30 March 2017 | Ft Pierce, Florida

Up the Monkey River

25 March 2012 | Placencia, Belize
Beth / 80's and 90's
Yep. There really are howler monkeys up the Monkey River.

We joined Marsha, Mark, and Amber on a day trip to Monkey River Town and the Monkey River itself. Tricia was the enterprising woman who enticed us to buy a tour from her company Placencia Eagle Ray Tours, www.placenciatoursbz.weebly.com Rene drove the boat and Raymond guided us in the river and showed us his town. We had a fantastic day.

While I’m sure the tour companies like to see their little boats filled with 8 or 10, a group of 5 is a perfect size for us. We piled into Rene’s open boat and headed out the lagoon, slowing to check out a crocodile nosing along among the mangrove shoots, ogling the new and fancy condos and private homes that line the waterfront – so very different from the other side of town – before roaring across the bay for 20 minutes, pulling into the mouth of the Monkey River and stopping to pick up our local guide.

We spotted a whole variety of birds: tiger herons, adult blue herons and immature ones (white), kites and hawks and ospreys, pelicans and cormorants and anhingas, kingfishers, brown jays (the alarm birds), tiny little blue ones that I can’t remember the name of, rufous coloured wood creepers, and a large brown butterfly. We saw a couple of tropical sliders (turtles) and iguanas high in the treetops, the very large head of a crocodile that must have been at least 8 ft long, a pet gibnut, and the piece de resistance – howler monkeys. As we threaded our way through the jungle, we could hear them, and sure enough we soon saw them high in the trees.

This forest was pretty well destroyed in the 2001 hurricane (although it is thick and tall again now) and this colony has been resident since then. What fierce voices they have. It’s not so much a howl as a roar, and we heard one of the males make almost a bark as a young one moved along a branch toward him. Their voices can carry for miles, and I remember from our trip to Costa Rica 10 years ago how they can absolutely fill the air. They stayed high in the trees and it was hard to get a good look, but not hard to hear them, that’s for sure. We found it hard to tear ourselves away from them to continue along our fascinating trail.

Raymond and Rene pointed out numerous trees and bushes and plants – many of them with medicinal uses – in the past and still used today. I just wish I could write fast enough or remember long enough to keep track of it all. (Maybe there will have to be a multi day bush medicine trip in the schedule next year.)

After lunch (delicious fish (snook) or chicken with rice and red beans) we wandered around the town, past the Anglican school, the health centre where a policeman lives, houses (many of them on stilts to protect them from the 8 ft water levels that can come in storms) and a building with this sign on the window: “Dis Da Fu We Building, Ladies Business Group.” I sure wish it had been open – I’d love to have met the women who felt strongly enough to put up a “This is Our Place” sign! We chatted with a group of little girls at the beach as we sipped on coconut water from the nuts Raymond twisted from a branch and opened with his machete.

At one time 1500 residents lived here but since the last hurricane, it is down to 150 and most of them earn their living by fishing, and by feeding and guiding tourists. The mahogany trade was once strong, but those days are gone. Raymond pointed out a house that Canadian students used to live in when they come to study the monkeys. Now, a group comes from University of Calgary every year, but they travel back and forth from Placencia.

It has been interesting for us to see the Canadian link with Belize. We learned of Trent University’s connection with the Mayan sites at Cahal Pech and Xunantunich (and probably more), Calgary’s connection here, and heard U of Western Ontario’s name mentioned somewhere. Among boaters, there are many Canadian flagged boats, and lots of land based visitors too.

On the way back, Rene steered his boat along the shoreline, zooming in and out of little passages among the red mangrove cays, until we reached an area known to be home to the elusive manatees. We eventually did catch a glimpse of a couple before heading for a tiny island where we circled the beach in search of shells. I found a milk conch – one of the few shells I’ve picked up this season.

It was 3 o’clock before we arrived back in town – well satisfied with our day’s outing. The temperature had been reasonable, the bugs not bad at all, the company enjoyable and the guides good. Time for a coconut ice cream at Tutti Fruitti’s!
Comments
Vessel Name: Madcap
Vessel Make/Model: Bayfield 36
Hailing Port: Halifax, Nova Scotia
Crew: James D Bissell (Jim) and Elizabeth Lusby (Beth)
About: Beth and Jim have spent several winters sailing southern waters on s/v Madcap. They love Halifax in the summer, but loved to spend the winters exploring warmer places - the Bahamas, Cuba, Mexico, Guatemala, Belize, Honduras.
Extra:
The Madcap crew left Ottawa in 2007 to go sailing in the Bahamas. After a highly successful year, they returned to Canada, settled in Halifax, Nova Scotia, and in the fall of 2009 they left to do it again! Journey #3 (2010/11) took them back to the Bahamas and then on to Cuba for several weeks [...]
Social:
Madcap's Photos - Mad Cap Sailing (Main)
19 Photos
Created 15 May 2017
20 Photos
Created 20 April 2017
62 Photos
Created 30 March 2017
11 Photos
Created 6 April 2016
13 Photos
Created 6 April 2016
5 Photos
Created 6 April 2016
6 Photos
Created 9 March 2016
11 Photos
Created 9 March 2016
23 Photos
Created 25 February 2016
18 Photos
Created 21 February 2016
31 Photos
Created 20 February 2016
4 Photos
Created 20 February 2016
20 Photos
Created 19 February 2016
7 Photos
Created 9 February 2016
51 Photos
Created 24 November 2015
12 Photos
Created 28 October 2015
16 Photos
Created 9 October 2015
24 Photos
Created 3 December 2013
our Oct/Nov 2013 trip to New Zealand
36 Photos
Created 22 November 2013
9 Photos
Created 20 January 2013
Guatemala pics starting Nov 22, 2012
43 Photos
Created 6 December 2012
54 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 8 November 2012
trip to Zion National Park and Bryce Canyon National Park (via Las Vegas)
23 Photos
Created 4 November 2012
20 Photos
Created 1 November 2012
18 Photos
Created 12 February 2012
43 Photos
Created 29 January 2012
62 Photos
Created 19 May 2011
21 Photos
Created 19 May 2011
76 Photos
Created 19 May 2011
8 Photos
Created 19 May 2011