Madcap Sailing

31 December 2018 | Gold River Marina, Nova Scotia, Canada
06 August 2018 | Mahone Bay, Nova Scotia
26 May 2018 | Gold River Marina, Gold River, NS
18 May 2018 | Gold River Marina, Gold River, NS
24 March 2018 | boat in Gold River, NS and crew in Halifax
22 May 2017 | Whittaker Creek, Oriental, NC
15 May 2017 | Boat in Oriental, crew in New Orleans and Nova Scotia
26 April 2017 | Oriental, NC
26 April 2017 | Oriental, NC
20 April 2017 | Ocean Isle Marina, Ocean Beach, NC at Mile 335.6
17 April 2017 | Dewees Creek, near Charleston, NC
14 April 2017 | St Simons Island
12 April 2017 | Fernandina Beach, FL
11 April 2017 | St Augustine, FL
07 April 2017 | Vero Beach, Florida
03 April 2017 | Ft Pierce, FL
30 March 2017 | Ft Pierce, Florida

From the River to the Mountains

14 April 2012 | La Antigua, Guatemala
Beth / 70's and low 80's
Our departure from the Rio was beyond beautiful. Nicholas arrived in his lancha about 6:30, we enjoyed a coffee with Casey and then piled our bags in the boat and headed out of the bay. The water was flat calm, the mountains rose softly around the lake, and the last few fishermen returned home from bringing in their nets. We just gazed around in awe at how absolutely gorgeous this area is.

About 50 minutes later, Nicholas pulled up at the dock in Fronteras and we dragged our bags up the hill to the Litegua station. We bought our tickets and boarded the bus (sitting back a few rows just like my walking partners suggested - so a) we wouldn't be as aware of erratic driving and narrow misses, and b) we would be less likely to be killed in the event of a head on collision). The bus rattled away across the bridge to Morales and on to the big city.

The scenery changed dramatically from the serene blue water we had started out in, to forested slopes and shabby towns to arid hills and eventually the drab, grey, dirt-poor outskirts of Guatemala City. Colours changed from blues to greens to browns and greys. Meadows and orchards gave way to steep hills with cinderblock buildings jumbled like mono colour Lego blocks. It was easy to see how earthquakes can cause so much destruction in places like this. Traffic came to a standstill for more than an hour and we never did see what caused it, and by the time the bus crawled through the narrow, dingy streets of the capital city to the bus station, our connecting bus to Antigua had long since departed.

The agent I tried to talk with spoke no English and my Spanish wasn't up to arguing that I had a ticket for the 2 o'clock bus that had left and what were they going to do about it, and we didn't want to wait for the 6 pm bus, so we shared a cab with two young women who were also headed for Antigua - paying 100 Q each and forgetting about the 45Q we had already paid for the bus.

By the time we got to Antigua, we were 5000 ft above sea level, out of the dinginess and into a beautiful colonial town nestled in a valley between three volcanoes. It was once the capital of the country, a lively political and cultural centre and home to a huge number of churches and monasteries, but after a series of earthquakes, it was pretty much abandoned in the 1770's. Buildings were evacuated and plundered and residents were ordered to move. For the next couple of hundred years, it was mostly squatters who stayed. In the 1800's a coffee industry began, but it wasn't until the mid 1900's that anything really changed. Then, the city was designated a national monument, efforts at restoration began and parts of the city returned to their former splendor. But then came the devastating earthquake of 1976, when thousands of people died and buildings came crashing down.

Antigua was designated a Unesco World Heritage Site in 1979 and work began again. The Lonely Planet Guide says: " Perhaps the real miracle of Antigua is its resilience. Despite the destructive forces that have conspired against it - earthquakes, volcanic eruptions and floods, followed by virtual abandonment and centuries of neglect - it's reemerged with a vengeance, buoyed by the pride of its inhabitants."

La Antigua is now home to more than a dozen Spanish language schools, the wedding industry is big, tourism booms, many glorious buildings have been restored and the ruins of others are charmingly integrated into the streetscape.

We didn't see much of it by the time we arrived on Friday evening but we grabbed a quick dinner and fell into our bed at Hotel Entre Volcanes. This restored colonial hotel is near the market and a few short blocks from the central square. Jeanette and her staff took very good care of us, and the fact that all of them speak English as well as Spanish was a great help.

I had read that Elizabeth Bell gave excellent walking tours of the city so we headed for the fountain in Parque Central at 9:30 on Saturday morning. To our delight, we were the only ones to show up so we had a personal tour from this excellent scholar and historian. She is American by birth but has lived and studied here since 1969, is a cultural historian who is passionately interested in sharing the story of this city with visitors, has written several books including "Antigua Guatemala; the City and its Heritage" and gave us one of the best tours we have had. We highly recommend her tour to anyone who really wants to know some of the historical and current story of this city (and country).

We visited the Catedral de Santiago, and learned of the stabilization efforts and restoration plan. We viewed the architectural style, "Earthquake baroque", paid a visit to Jades SA to learn a bit about the jade industry here, and ended up at the Casa Santo Domingo Hotel which is built around the ruins of Iglesia Y Convento de Santo Domingo - once the biggest and richest monastery in the city. The site is also home to several museums, only one of which we had time to visit - but which was fascinating. It houses a collection of contemporary glass pieces and the pre-Hispanic ceramic art that inspired them. We loved this place!

In the afternoon, we viewed intricately embroidered and handwoven textiles that women from outlying communities brought to the city to sell. We bargained for and bought a few things, fended off hordes of folks selling wooden flutes and jewellery and scarves. One particularly insistent (and not typical) woman called out after Jim "You very cheap man!" when he refused to buy his wife a table runner!

We ate at Frida's that evening, enjoying very good Mexican food at a little table under an original Frida Kahlo painting. A walk home through the cobble stone streets, people watching all the way brought an end to our first - and definitely not the last - day in Antigua. As much as we hated to leave the Rio, we are really glad we made the decision to spend a couple of days here.
Comments
Vessel Name: Madcap
Vessel Make/Model: Bayfield 36
Hailing Port: Halifax, Nova Scotia
Crew: James D Bissell (Jim) and Elizabeth Lusby (Beth)
About: Beth and Jim have spent several winters sailing southern waters on s/v Madcap. They love Halifax in the summer, but loved to spend the winters exploring warmer places - the Bahamas, Cuba, Mexico, Guatemala, Belize, Honduras.
Extra:
The Madcap crew left Ottawa in 2007 to go sailing in the Bahamas. After a highly successful year, they returned to Canada, settled in Halifax, Nova Scotia, and in the fall of 2009 they left to do it again! Journey #3 (2010/11) took them back to the Bahamas and then on to Cuba for several weeks [...]
Social:
Madcap's Photos - Mad Cap Sailing (Main)
19 Photos
Created 15 May 2017
20 Photos
Created 20 April 2017
62 Photos
Created 30 March 2017
11 Photos
Created 6 April 2016
13 Photos
Created 6 April 2016
5 Photos
Created 6 April 2016
6 Photos
Created 9 March 2016
11 Photos
Created 9 March 2016
23 Photos
Created 25 February 2016
18 Photos
Created 21 February 2016
31 Photos
Created 20 February 2016
4 Photos
Created 20 February 2016
20 Photos
Created 19 February 2016
7 Photos
Created 9 February 2016
51 Photos
Created 24 November 2015
12 Photos
Created 28 October 2015
16 Photos
Created 9 October 2015
24 Photos
Created 3 December 2013
our Oct/Nov 2013 trip to New Zealand
36 Photos
Created 22 November 2013
9 Photos
Created 20 January 2013
Guatemala pics starting Nov 22, 2012
43 Photos
Created 6 December 2012
54 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 8 November 2012
trip to Zion National Park and Bryce Canyon National Park (via Las Vegas)
23 Photos
Created 4 November 2012
20 Photos
Created 1 November 2012
18 Photos
Created 12 February 2012
43 Photos
Created 29 January 2012
62 Photos
Created 19 May 2011
21 Photos
Created 19 May 2011
76 Photos
Created 19 May 2011
8 Photos
Created 19 May 2011