Madcap Sailing

31 December 2018 | Gold River Marina, Nova Scotia, Canada
06 August 2018 | Mahone Bay, Nova Scotia
26 May 2018 | Gold River Marina, Gold River, NS
18 May 2018 | Gold River Marina, Gold River, NS
24 March 2018 | boat in Gold River, NS and crew in Halifax
22 May 2017 | Whittaker Creek, Oriental, NC
15 May 2017 | Boat in Oriental, crew in New Orleans and Nova Scotia
26 April 2017 | Oriental, NC
26 April 2017 | Oriental, NC
20 April 2017 | Ocean Isle Marina, Ocean Beach, NC at Mile 335.6
17 April 2017 | Dewees Creek, near Charleston, NC
14 April 2017 | St Simons Island
12 April 2017 | Fernandina Beach, FL
11 April 2017 | St Augustine, FL
07 April 2017 | Vero Beach, Florida
03 April 2017 | Ft Pierce, FL
30 March 2017 | Ft Pierce, Florida

Working Through the List

21 January 2015 | Cayo Quemado, Rio Dulce, Guatemala
Beth/ getting drier!
We’ve worked steadily on the TO DO list since we got to Casey’s dock last Tuesday. First off was a re-do of some of the wires and hoses connected to our new Raritan macerating toilet that had pretty much monopolized the space in the locker behind the head. The new plumbing still takes more space than I would like, but I can live with it now – the towels and laundry supplies and toilet paper and paper towels will fit in a new configuration. I’ve pared down some of the extras I used to keep on hand and because we are not expecting company this year, the extra linens and towels could get buried under our berth. I soaked lines in buckets of water with a dose of fabric softener and restrung them – davit lines for hoisting the dinghy and the outboard motor, furling lines for the head sails, sheets for the mainsail.

Jim spent the better part of Wednesday (in the rain) with his head in the starboard cockpit locker, disconnecting our old batteries. He spent a long time making diagrams of what wires went where, and how the new batteries should be linked, and Wednesday was the day to make it happen. Unfortunately it was pouring rain and our bimini and dodger (cockpit coverings) leak like sieves this year. Fortunately, we have a lovely big Department of Justice umbrella on board – a left over from some conference I think – so the retired Assistant Deputy Attorney General/newly minted electrician could work in comfort! This picture shows the man at work! I used to encourage him to write an “ADAG – Unplugged” article and this would have been a great pic to go with it!

With the wires disconnected, Che (Casey’s right hand man) lugged the old batteries out of there, put the new ones in, and built a box to secure them in rolling seas. Then it was Jim’s turn to hook them all back up. I spent part of the afternoon in the forward berth knitting and listening to podcasts. When the air turned slightly blue and the rain stopped, I went for a walk, and by the time I got back he had everything working a charm! Let me tell you – I am really impressed!! These new batteries are AGM golf cart batteries – a starter battery and 4 others hooked in series parallel. These are more powerful than our last ones, do not need topping up with distilled water, and do not release gases that set our propane alarm off – all pluses in my book. I know there are some of you whose eyes will glaze over, and others who might be really interested in such things, and that you will all applaud my co-captain’s wonderful newly applied skills!

Work continued on varnishing and general boat care when the sun shone. Che got boosted up the mast to adjust and tighten the wind indicator, Bilo removed a plexiglass covering from our lovely butterfly hatches and re-varnished the wood, Jim and I bent on the sails, Jim pored through the lockers on his side of the boat, sorting and reorganizing his tools and spares. He replaced all the fuel and water filters and changed the engine oil and installed the new regulator for the wind generator. I did laundry, hung it on the line and actually got it dry in about 24 hours – with a couple of extra rainwater rinses. I spliced a new length of nylon rode to our anchor chain, cleaned our rarely used cockpit enclosure panels and went through the whole boat interior with vinegar and water to freshen everything up. I used to say that we could both do all the jobs on the boat, but that isn’t really true. We can both sail it and both navigate, but Jim’s expertise in and management of engine and electronics are all his own. I take care of things sail, line and rope related, and we pretty much split the household chores as we do at home.

The next post will let you know some of the other things we’ve been up to – it is not all work and no play in this neighbourhood!
Comments
Vessel Name: Madcap
Vessel Make/Model: Bayfield 36
Hailing Port: Halifax, Nova Scotia
Crew: James D Bissell (Jim) and Elizabeth Lusby (Beth)
About: Beth and Jim have spent several winters sailing southern waters on s/v Madcap. They love Halifax in the summer, but loved to spend the winters exploring warmer places - the Bahamas, Cuba, Mexico, Guatemala, Belize, Honduras.
Extra:
The Madcap crew left Ottawa in 2007 to go sailing in the Bahamas. After a highly successful year, they returned to Canada, settled in Halifax, Nova Scotia, and in the fall of 2009 they left to do it again! Journey #3 (2010/11) took them back to the Bahamas and then on to Cuba for several weeks [...]
Social:
Madcap's Photos - Mad Cap Sailing (Main)
19 Photos
Created 15 May 2017
20 Photos
Created 20 April 2017
62 Photos
Created 30 March 2017
11 Photos
Created 6 April 2016
13 Photos
Created 6 April 2016
5 Photos
Created 6 April 2016
6 Photos
Created 9 March 2016
11 Photos
Created 9 March 2016
23 Photos
Created 25 February 2016
18 Photos
Created 21 February 2016
31 Photos
Created 20 February 2016
4 Photos
Created 20 February 2016
20 Photos
Created 19 February 2016
7 Photos
Created 9 February 2016
51 Photos
Created 24 November 2015
12 Photos
Created 28 October 2015
16 Photos
Created 9 October 2015
24 Photos
Created 3 December 2013
our Oct/Nov 2013 trip to New Zealand
36 Photos
Created 22 November 2013
9 Photos
Created 20 January 2013
Guatemala pics starting Nov 22, 2012
43 Photos
Created 6 December 2012
54 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 8 November 2012
trip to Zion National Park and Bryce Canyon National Park (via Las Vegas)
23 Photos
Created 4 November 2012
20 Photos
Created 1 November 2012
18 Photos
Created 12 February 2012
43 Photos
Created 29 January 2012
62 Photos
Created 19 May 2011
21 Photos
Created 19 May 2011
76 Photos
Created 19 May 2011
8 Photos
Created 19 May 2011