Madcap Sailing

31 December 2018 | Gold River Marina, Nova Scotia, Canada
06 August 2018 | Mahone Bay, Nova Scotia
26 May 2018 | Gold River Marina, Gold River, NS
18 May 2018 | Gold River Marina, Gold River, NS
24 March 2018 | boat in Gold River, NS and crew in Halifax
22 May 2017 | Whittaker Creek, Oriental, NC
15 May 2017 | Boat in Oriental, crew in New Orleans and Nova Scotia
26 April 2017 | Oriental, NC
26 April 2017 | Oriental, NC
20 April 2017 | Ocean Isle Marina, Ocean Beach, NC at Mile 335.6
17 April 2017 | Dewees Creek, near Charleston, NC
14 April 2017 | St Simons Island
12 April 2017 | Fernandina Beach, FL
11 April 2017 | St Augustine, FL
07 April 2017 | Vero Beach, Florida
03 April 2017 | Ft Pierce, FL
30 March 2017 | Ft Pierce, Florida

Another Lagoon

24 February 2015 | Sapodilla Cay, belize
Beth /hot days, cooler nights and nice breeze
We motor sailed north to Sapodilla Lagoon - a safe anchorage for the expected cold front due this week. We had heard other cruisers mention this spot but had never been in, and for some reason I had it in my mind that it was too shallow for us. Not so.

This is a lovely lagoon - and extremely well protected from wind from any direction. The fact that it is part of the mainland also makes it a really safe spot - with road access in case of emergencies. The waypoint in Freya Rauscher's book is just north of the entrance so we dropped our mainsail there and pointed the bow toward the shoreline. The book said to take a bead on Victoria peak on land, but there was a huge amount of smoke billowing around and obscuring the hills so that didn't work. Fortunately she also gave a bearing to follow - in this case, we steered a course of 268 degrees true until we passed the brown bar stretching from the point on the right, then turned to starboard and followed another bearing (325 degrees true) to take us past the bar on the port side. In the right light, these bars are easy to see too. The experience reminded me of earlier explorers making their way into new harbours. What did they do when their landmarks were obscured by smoke or cloud?

Once inside it was easy to follow the well-marked channel to find a good spot. Our friends on Scott Free and Emerald Seas were already there, along with two other boats, and we joined the line of deeper draft boats on the right of the channel. This is a large bay with a picturesque little island in the middle, and although much of it is shallow, there is room for quite a number of boats, especially shallow draft vessels. By the time the winds came, there were 9 of us here, with room for more.

We ended up spending 5 nights here - we got in a day before the front came through because we wanted to make sure we got a spot, and we stayed a day longer than was absolutely necessary because we saw no reason to bash against wind and waves to get back to Placencia when we could have a more enjoyable trip the next day. And it proved to be an excellent spot to stay out of the wind. While reports were of 2 and 3 foot seas outside and we registered 25 knot winds at the top of the mast, the boat hardly moved.

So what's Sapodilla Lagoon like? What did we do there?

We joined Scott Free and Emerald Seas on a dinghy exploration of mangrove-lined Cabbage Haul Creek that runs off the lagoon at the southern end. I bet an early morning trip would have been a better time for bird watching, but we did see some egrets and small herons fly away as we approached, and we had a great time slaloming through one section on the way back out.

On another day, Jim and I dinghied up the little creek heading north near our boat - and as Jim reported to the others, "We went along farther than it was passable!" Indeed, it was very overgrown and narrow in spots, and I was continually fending off the mangrove branches over our heads as Jim kept the outboard from getting caught in underwater roots. Those of you who know us will be able to picture me saying, "Just a little farther!" while Jim muttered under his breath and finally said, "Enough!" Truly it was far enough with an outboard - but it would be delightful in a kayak - and I know there is another lagoon in there somewhere waiting to be discovered.

A huge marina/housing development is experiencing on-again/off-again progress inland on the west side. The only really visible signs from the anchorage are the red and green navigational buoys through the lagoon and the red mud of the dredged entrance into the development. Of course, it begged for exploration as well.

Once through that channel, the unfinished marina is on the left. Large, solid docks with dozens of slips await completion. Some have cleats; a water tap is functional; fuel tanks are in the ground but not full. A security guard and dog are on duty all the time and we found them to be welcoming. We bought water, as did a few of the other boats and we were amused that the price fluctuated according to who was on duty. Madcap Jim paid Benjamin the most at 25 cents per gallon, while Emerald Seas Jim paid Louis 6 cents and we heard that someone else paid another guy 10. It would be worth negotiating! There is good deep water at the docks, so while the two Jims fetched water in jerry cans, Scott and Heather pulled the big boat right up to the long dock to fill their tanks.

A canal leads off to the right through the housing lots, past 4 or 5 completed houses (with airy centre structures with rooftop palapas and wings off to each side - one even with a "boatport" instead of a carport), and around to the beach area. A whole group of us pulled dinghies up on the edge of the canal to have a look at the pool, palapas and beach one day, and on another day Jim and I walked with Peter and Mary (Rendezvous) all the way along the mud-red road from the marina. This beach area fronts on the sea outside Sapodilla Lagoon and is picture perfect beautiful. The large sandy area below shady trees was groomed (we saw workers with rakes, and little tractors and wagons hauling away the kelp that washed up along the shore) and a half dozen people were enjoying the pool and lounge chairs. A well-designed and constructed (but empty) bar, and a closed restaurant were encircled by attractive plantings. Farther down the beach, we found several high-end tents on concrete platforms - "hotel rooms" maybe? Check out www.belizesanctuary.com for more information. (I also found a number of other sites with comments about the place. It is so lovely and there is such a good start, I do hope something continues to happen there.)

We chatted on our second trip with Bonifacio, the security guard, who was also very welcoming but who had few answers about when the place might be really open, and Jim struck up a conversation with a property owner who didn't have much more information but who said, "Come back any time." When we got back to the marina, both the tour boat that brings prospective guests/buyers to have a look, and the impressive motor yacht, Mariah, were at the dock and "Mr. Gordon" hailed us to ask how we liked the development. While he was probably a little disappointed that we hadn't been on the tour, he did agree that the sooner the marina gets open, the better. The whole place is a wonderful hurricane hole, but the dock would offer even more protection along with services to visiting cruisers.

There appears to be a bit of a "history" around the development with some bills unpaid and management changes so who knows what will really happen here.

Whatever happens to the development itself, the lagoon remains a lovely spot to spend an overnight or a few days - and you don't even have to wait for the excuse of a cold front to go there.
Comments
Vessel Name: Madcap
Vessel Make/Model: Bayfield 36
Hailing Port: Halifax, Nova Scotia
Crew: James D Bissell (Jim) and Elizabeth Lusby (Beth)
About: Beth and Jim have spent several winters sailing southern waters on s/v Madcap. They love Halifax in the summer, but loved to spend the winters exploring warmer places - the Bahamas, Cuba, Mexico, Guatemala, Belize, Honduras.
Extra:
The Madcap crew left Ottawa in 2007 to go sailing in the Bahamas. After a highly successful year, they returned to Canada, settled in Halifax, Nova Scotia, and in the fall of 2009 they left to do it again! Journey #3 (2010/11) took them back to the Bahamas and then on to Cuba for several weeks [...]
Social:
Madcap's Photos - Mad Cap Sailing (Main)
19 Photos
Created 15 May 2017
20 Photos
Created 20 April 2017
62 Photos
Created 30 March 2017
11 Photos
Created 6 April 2016
13 Photos
Created 6 April 2016
5 Photos
Created 6 April 2016
6 Photos
Created 9 March 2016
11 Photos
Created 9 March 2016
23 Photos
Created 25 February 2016
18 Photos
Created 21 February 2016
31 Photos
Created 20 February 2016
4 Photos
Created 20 February 2016
20 Photos
Created 19 February 2016
7 Photos
Created 9 February 2016
51 Photos
Created 24 November 2015
12 Photos
Created 28 October 2015
16 Photos
Created 9 October 2015
24 Photos
Created 3 December 2013
our Oct/Nov 2013 trip to New Zealand
36 Photos
Created 22 November 2013
9 Photos
Created 20 January 2013
Guatemala pics starting Nov 22, 2012
43 Photos
Created 6 December 2012
54 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 8 November 2012
trip to Zion National Park and Bryce Canyon National Park (via Las Vegas)
23 Photos
Created 4 November 2012
20 Photos
Created 1 November 2012
18 Photos
Created 12 February 2012
43 Photos
Created 29 January 2012
62 Photos
Created 19 May 2011
21 Photos
Created 19 May 2011
76 Photos
Created 19 May 2011
8 Photos
Created 19 May 2011