Madcap Sailing

31 December 2018 | Gold River Marina, Nova Scotia, Canada
06 August 2018 | Mahone Bay, Nova Scotia
26 May 2018 | Gold River Marina, Gold River, NS
18 May 2018 | Gold River Marina, Gold River, NS
24 March 2018 | boat in Gold River, NS and crew in Halifax
22 May 2017 | Whittaker Creek, Oriental, NC
15 May 2017 | Boat in Oriental, crew in New Orleans and Nova Scotia
26 April 2017 | Oriental, NC
26 April 2017 | Oriental, NC
20 April 2017 | Ocean Isle Marina, Ocean Beach, NC at Mile 335.6
17 April 2017 | Dewees Creek, near Charleston, NC
14 April 2017 | St Simons Island
12 April 2017 | Fernandina Beach, FL
11 April 2017 | St Augustine, FL
07 April 2017 | Vero Beach, Florida
03 April 2017 | Ft Pierce, FL
30 March 2017 | Ft Pierce, Florida

Our New Favourite Place

27 February 2015 | Pelican Cays, Belize
Beth / salty and happy
We hadn’t even heard all that much about Pelican Cays until this year. Were our ears plugged up? Was our attention on all the other lovely places in these cays? How could we have missed knowing about this fabulous spot until some of our friends went this year?

It’s an easy 16 nm trip NE from Placencia. The harbour is very deep (60 feet mostly) once inside the coral bars, and there are 3 mooring balls available on a first come – first served basis. A tiny bar/restaurant on Hideaway Cay welcomes visitors and the snorkeling is supposed to be great. What more could one ask? Add in the satisfaction of completing a challenging pass over a shallow bar and it becomes even better.

We followed a combination of waypoints from Freya Rauscher’s book and from Rendezvous for the northern approach. Moorings and Sunsail charter boats are instructed to use the southern entrance and this worked to our advantage on this visit. We spotted a charter boat coming East across the Inner Channel as we neared the waypoint and thought, “Oh dear, we will be in a race for a ball.” But it veered off South, allowing us to make our turn across the bar and snag the ball by the time they made it back up through the southern entrance. (Fortunately they were experienced sailors and weren’t put off by having to anchor.) Once inside this well protected harbour, the scenery is stunning – a series of mangrove cays linked by narrow coral bars that show off crystal clear turquoise water in contrast with the dark blue of deeper water. Those bars make for fabulous snorkeling.

Over the course of our 4-day stay, we sampled 5 different areas within short dinghy runs, and returned to 2 of them more than once. Because the bars separate very deep water from very shallow, we were able to swim among coral heads 4 feet below us, and along walls that dropped off to 60 feet, and even suck in our bellies and float across knee-deep water.

Oh the colours! Oh the textures! Oh the fish! We’ve marveled at snorkeling the wall at French Cay Harbour in Roatan, and the rugged bars in Cayos Cochinos, and the underwater “gardens” in North Long Cocoa, Belize, but this place wins the prize for both Jim and me. On our first 2 days, we had prime snorkeling conditions: flat calm water and clear sunny skies.

Coral heads comprised of golden brain coral and green and purple sea fans and clumps of brown sea rods with lavender tips and stubby little red sea fingers are all scattered across the shallows. Bright purple plumes wave in the soft current and the small leaves of bright green sea lettuce waft ever so slightly, and even the rigid coral has minute hairs that move and pores that open and close. Smooth sticklike rods catch the light and move it along the length of them like those neon wands we use to play with. Clouds overhead will shade an area and then as the sun breaks through, it will light up as if a spotlight has been directed at it. We swim between some of the coral heads, looking right and left, and over some of them, looking straight down into crevasses and nooks and crannies less than a metre below our noses. We hover beside or over such spots watching the tiny movements of the plants and the coming and going of the fish.

Medium sized and small and miniscule fish swim through these underwater gardens. Some are nonchalant, going about the business of feeding unconcerned by the hovering creatures nearby. Some are shy and hide under overhanging chunks of rock, peering out to see if we are still there. Blue-lipped gray angelfish as large as the largest dinner plates in my cupboard swim gracefully by, turning slightly to peer up at us, flicking past and then circling around to have another look. Schools of hundreds of silvery little fish are almost invisible as we swim through them, and more groups of black and yellow striped sergeant majors, and blue and pink and yellow parrotfish, brilliant blue hamlets go swishing by and butterfly fish with big “eyes” on their tails seem to wiggle their whole bodies as they swim past, while wary cardinal fish and squirrelfish hide from us, peeking out only briefly to see if it is safe to emerge. Tiny neon coloured fish nibble and chew on the coral, flitting here and there with complete disregard for observers.

And then there are the walls. The coral bars that we are drifting over fall deep down into a sea of blue. As I get close to the wall (or more aptly called drop-off) I always get a fluttery feeling, thinking I must not get too close or I’ll fall over! And then I remind myself that it’s like flying – I can go right out there and I’ll still be safe. I like to swim along the edge of the wall, keeping an eye on the aqua blue because I know I will see shapes begin to emerge – so gradually that it’s almost like I’m imagining it, and then the shapes will become clearly formed schools of silvery barjacks with blue stripes running along their backs and tails, and dozens of yellow tailed goatfish that go cruising by me and disappear into the blue again. The most fascinating fish this trip was the scrawled filefish that Jim called me over to see. Look it up! It is the most amazing fish with bluish lines and spots on a yellow-green body. It has a long nose and a broomlike tail and it stayed absolutely still under a fan of green coral as we watched it.

(We carry the excellent reference books, Reef Fish, Reef Coral, and Reef Creatures by Paul Humann and Ned Deloach onboard. We used to try to take photos, and we do still carry a camera sometimes, but there are much better pictures online and on other people’s blogs!)

We’ve seen only a few smallish barricuda here and they have been uninterested in us. We’ve each spotted a lobster antenna or two by looking carefully under the overhangs. Jim saw a stingray, and we both watched a spotted eagle ray swim past the dinghy one day as we were crossing over a bar, and our friends Peter and Mary saw a shark (I’m not sure if that was before or after Peter speared a fish.) Lovely plump cushion sea stars in reds and oranges and yellows lie among the turtlegrass in the sandy spots. We often hover for several minutes at one cluster of texture and colour and action, and then swim (or drift) along to another.

Jim and I tend to each go off on our own while snorkeling, lifting our heads from time to time to scan the water’s surface for another snorkel or the splash of fins, and we try not to get too far from the anchored dinghy. We’ll spend 1 ½ to 2 hours at a time in the water, emerging only when we are chilled. It’s surprising to me that even in water that’s 30 degrees, we can still get chilled.

Fortunately, we have time to snorkel, warm up, snorkel, warm up, go exploring by dinghy, fall into bed at night and do it all again the next day! We have both declared that snorkeling is our favourite activity, and this is our favourite place to do it.
Comments
Vessel Name: Madcap
Vessel Make/Model: Bayfield 36
Hailing Port: Halifax, Nova Scotia
Crew: James D Bissell (Jim) and Elizabeth Lusby (Beth)
About: Beth and Jim have spent several winters sailing southern waters on s/v Madcap. They love Halifax in the summer, but loved to spend the winters exploring warmer places - the Bahamas, Cuba, Mexico, Guatemala, Belize, Honduras.
Extra:
The Madcap crew left Ottawa in 2007 to go sailing in the Bahamas. After a highly successful year, they returned to Canada, settled in Halifax, Nova Scotia, and in the fall of 2009 they left to do it again! Journey #3 (2010/11) took them back to the Bahamas and then on to Cuba for several weeks [...]
Social:
Madcap's Photos - Mad Cap Sailing (Main)
19 Photos
Created 15 May 2017
20 Photos
Created 20 April 2017
62 Photos
Created 30 March 2017
11 Photos
Created 6 April 2016
13 Photos
Created 6 April 2016
5 Photos
Created 6 April 2016
6 Photos
Created 9 March 2016
11 Photos
Created 9 March 2016
23 Photos
Created 25 February 2016
18 Photos
Created 21 February 2016
31 Photos
Created 20 February 2016
4 Photos
Created 20 February 2016
20 Photos
Created 19 February 2016
7 Photos
Created 9 February 2016
51 Photos
Created 24 November 2015
12 Photos
Created 28 October 2015
16 Photos
Created 9 October 2015
24 Photos
Created 3 December 2013
our Oct/Nov 2013 trip to New Zealand
36 Photos
Created 22 November 2013
9 Photos
Created 20 January 2013
Guatemala pics starting Nov 22, 2012
43 Photos
Created 6 December 2012
54 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 8 November 2012
trip to Zion National Park and Bryce Canyon National Park (via Las Vegas)
23 Photos
Created 4 November 2012
20 Photos
Created 1 November 2012
18 Photos
Created 12 February 2012
43 Photos
Created 29 January 2012
62 Photos
Created 19 May 2011
21 Photos
Created 19 May 2011
76 Photos
Created 19 May 2011
8 Photos
Created 19 May 2011