Madcap Sailing

31 December 2018 | Gold River Marina, Nova Scotia, Canada
06 August 2018 | Mahone Bay, Nova Scotia
26 May 2018 | Gold River Marina, Gold River, NS
18 May 2018 | Gold River Marina, Gold River, NS
24 March 2018 | boat in Gold River, NS and crew in Halifax
22 May 2017 | Whittaker Creek, Oriental, NC
15 May 2017 | Boat in Oriental, crew in New Orleans and Nova Scotia
26 April 2017 | Oriental, NC
26 April 2017 | Oriental, NC
20 April 2017 | Ocean Isle Marina, Ocean Beach, NC at Mile 335.6
17 April 2017 | Dewees Creek, near Charleston, NC
14 April 2017 | St Simons Island
12 April 2017 | Fernandina Beach, FL
11 April 2017 | St Augustine, FL
07 April 2017 | Vero Beach, Florida
03 April 2017 | Ft Pierce, FL
30 March 2017 | Ft Pierce, Florida

Back to Staniel

10 March 2008 | Staniel Cay
Beth - a little cooler, overcast, no wind
We watched the giant ship, Mystique, pull out of Sampson's Cay as we drank our morning coffee. Despite its huge superstructure, it apparently draws only 4 feet, and with its powerful engines and thrusters, it turned on a dime. We spotted the owner down on the lower deck and a female passenger watching from an upper deck, and at least 7 crewmembers releasing lines and scurrying about. The captain was high above at the controls. Yesterday the crew wore white golf shirts and navy shorts and spent a lot of time polishing stainless and cleaning windows. Today, under grey skies, they sported navy shirts and khaki pants as they attended to the business of departure. This is the shakedown voyage for the ship - according to the gossip we collected on the dock; the owner has had it for only a few weeks and is taking a little trip around (480 gallons of fuel an hour - no sails) before it goes back to the states to be totally renovated inside.

Now Jim and I try quite hard really to be non judgmental, but it seems almost incomprehensible that this giant ship - 164 feet long - is for the use of two people and needs to be gutted and redecorated. Does it "need" that overhaul, or will hundreds of thousands of dollars be spent just to reflect the tastes of new owners? We had a few other words come to mind as we contemplated the dollars and materials and the size of the footprint, but suffice it to say ... it is hard for us to understand how so much money could be spent on a boat.

We have met cruisers who are out here exploring the Bahamas with very little money and on boats without all the bells and whistles - some of them only 27 - 30 feet in length. Our suspicion is that they are just as happy and having just as good a time.

After lovely eight minute showers (token - $4.00) we pulled up our anchor and headed back to Staniel Cay. The parts Jim ordered to fix our head (toilet) were delivered to the Yacht Club by Watermakers Air so he has his next little job lined up. The problem seems to be that the hand pump has lost its prime. Maybe a leak in the seal? We hope it is a straightforward fix.

It felt almost like coming home as we pulled into our customary anchorage just in front of the yacht club. We dinghied ashore to make a couple of phone calls and met up with several cruisers we've seen in other places. I took a walk down the road past "our" cottage - Atlantica - and up to Brenda's house where I bought a loaf of cinnamon-raisin bread. Her hand lettered sign, "Bread" rests on a lawn chair outside her door whenever she has been baking, and we have enjoyed many loaves from her oven. I stopped to chat a bit with her and with Rhonda, the woman who was so kind to us all, and particularly to Margaret when she visited here with Pat and Sean. Rhonda was a great connection for Marg when the rest of us went off on the boat to the park for a couple of days.

I strolled on up the hill to the Pink Pearl Store to visit with Miss Flo and to pick out one of her baskets to bring back to the boat. She and her daughters plait the local fronds of grass into mats and baskets. Most of them are flat but I like the round coils, done with a needle. Some are made from sisal, some from silver top. Last week, I watched some women in Black Point sit in the shade, plaiting (pronounced platting) the long ribbons of grass that are then sent off to Nassau and made into baskets, placemats, floor mats, and lots of other creations

There was something very satisfying about being able to walk from dock to house to store, saying a farewell to people we've gotten to know, however briefly, in the time we have been visiting in this area. A few roosters wandered around yards; people waved from porches; laughter rolled along the dock from the fellows who work at the yacht club. It seemed a far cry from the conspicuous consumption we had seen earlier in the day. I know which I like better. As I left, Flo told me I have a good husband, and when I reported that comment back to Jim, he thought she was very perceptive!

There aren't very many boats here tonight - just three of us in our usual spot at the edge of the channel, and another 3 or 4 in closer to the shoreline. We spotted some masts over near Club Thunderball, and counted about 20 boats in Big Majors Spot as we came by.

It is amazingly still tonight - no wind to speak of at all - a marked difference from the last 2 or 3 days when the wind has hardly dropped below 15 knots, and although it's been overcast much of the day, there have been only a few sprinkles of rain.

The darned old generator is working away on the foredeck and I'm trying to stop resenting it and be grateful that it does some good for our sluggish batteries. That problem is still hanging over our heads - how is it that they lose their charge so rapidly? We have no freezer, no water maker, no air-conditioning, the fridge is on the lowest possible setting, we are using LED battery powered lanterns now instead of our mast top anchor light at night and we plug in the computers only when the engine is on or the generator is running. How can energy be such a huge issue???

We'll meet up with Strathspey here in the morning before going to Black Point for a day or so.


Comments
Vessel Name: Madcap
Vessel Make/Model: Bayfield 36
Hailing Port: Halifax, Nova Scotia
Crew: James D Bissell (Jim) and Elizabeth Lusby (Beth)
About: Beth and Jim have spent several winters sailing southern waters on s/v Madcap. They love Halifax in the summer, but loved to spend the winters exploring warmer places - the Bahamas, Cuba, Mexico, Guatemala, Belize, Honduras.
Extra:
The Madcap crew left Ottawa in 2007 to go sailing in the Bahamas. After a highly successful year, they returned to Canada, settled in Halifax, Nova Scotia, and in the fall of 2009 they left to do it again! Journey #3 (2010/11) took them back to the Bahamas and then on to Cuba for several weeks [...]
Social:
Madcap's Photos - Mad Cap Sailing (Main)
19 Photos
Created 15 May 2017
20 Photos
Created 20 April 2017
62 Photos
Created 30 March 2017
11 Photos
Created 6 April 2016
13 Photos
Created 6 April 2016
5 Photos
Created 6 April 2016
6 Photos
Created 9 March 2016
11 Photos
Created 9 March 2016
23 Photos
Created 25 February 2016
18 Photos
Created 21 February 2016
31 Photos
Created 20 February 2016
4 Photos
Created 20 February 2016
20 Photos
Created 19 February 2016
7 Photos
Created 9 February 2016
51 Photos
Created 24 November 2015
12 Photos
Created 28 October 2015
16 Photos
Created 9 October 2015
24 Photos
Created 3 December 2013
our Oct/Nov 2013 trip to New Zealand
36 Photos
Created 22 November 2013
9 Photos
Created 20 January 2013
Guatemala pics starting Nov 22, 2012
43 Photos
Created 6 December 2012
54 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 8 November 2012
trip to Zion National Park and Bryce Canyon National Park (via Las Vegas)
23 Photos
Created 4 November 2012
20 Photos
Created 1 November 2012
18 Photos
Created 12 February 2012
43 Photos
Created 29 January 2012
62 Photos
Created 19 May 2011
21 Photos
Created 19 May 2011
76 Photos
Created 19 May 2011
8 Photos
Created 19 May 2011