Madcap Sailing

31 December 2018 | Gold River Marina, Nova Scotia, Canada
06 August 2018 | Mahone Bay, Nova Scotia
26 May 2018 | Gold River Marina, Gold River, NS
18 May 2018 | Gold River Marina, Gold River, NS
24 March 2018 | boat in Gold River, NS and crew in Halifax
22 May 2017 | Whittaker Creek, Oriental, NC
15 May 2017 | Boat in Oriental, crew in New Orleans and Nova Scotia
26 April 2017 | Oriental, NC
26 April 2017 | Oriental, NC
20 April 2017 | Ocean Isle Marina, Ocean Beach, NC at Mile 335.6
17 April 2017 | Dewees Creek, near Charleston, NC
14 April 2017 | St Simons Island
12 April 2017 | Fernandina Beach, FL
11 April 2017 | St Augustine, FL
07 April 2017 | Vero Beach, Florida
03 April 2017 | Ft Pierce, FL
30 March 2017 | Ft Pierce, Florida

One Special Place After Another

31 July 2008 | Robinhood, Sheepscot River, Maine
Beth
On our early arrival in Five Islands, we were lucky enough to pick up a free mooring ball just as another boat was leaving. The Five Islands Yacht Club (with no building or facilities - just the genial host from Malden Island) maintains 4 or 5 good moorings - free for two nights. This was a pretty little spot that we visited on the way south and decided it was worth a second visit.

It's a lovely cove surrounded by islands and home to lobster boats, some local skiffs as well as cruising boats. One big draw is Five Islands Seafood that serves lobster and other goodies to eat on the picnic tables overlooking the cove. It's a picturesque spot.

It got even better though. We trekked up the hill to the Five Islands Farm Market where we purchased wonderful veggies, a couple of bottles of well priced wine and a round of delicious goat cheese. While we bagged the fresh corn, we met Clayton - also buying the freshest corn he could find - who told us about the establishment he and his brother run and we decided to go find it.

Just a short dinghy ride around the corner, we spotted Sarah's Dockside and met Matthew - Clay's brother. After looking over the menu and chatting with this amiable and enthusiastic young man, we hustled back to see if Mike and Susan (Tabbycat) were interested in joining us there for dinner. They were and we went.

The trip was not uneventful! Our motor died halfway there and we got towed the rest of the way by Mike and Susan. Good thing we had decided to take both dinghies! Dinner was delicious - $20.00 for a market lobster, red potatoes, cob of the fresh corn, cole slaw. While the others had lobster, I decided to try the saut�ed scallops (perfectly done) and we all thoroughly enjoyed our meals - expertly cooked and served with a flourish. These brothers know their stuff! It's BYOB and we had taken wine so we sat on the deck enjoying the freshest food and good company. Ahhh - a perfectly wonderful evening.

Next morning, we chatted with Dot and John (Dotsea) and they highly recommended a place just up the River a mile or two. We had heard of Robinhood before but because it was so close, hadn't thought of going there. However, since we needed a motor fix, desperately needed laundry done and some wifi time, and they were insistent that this was a not-to-be-missed spot, off we went.

What a very good thing local knowledge is. Robinhood Marine Center in Riggs Cove is a beautiful spot and an excellently run Marina. Mooring balls are $35. and the attention to detail and extra service are beyond belief. The staff was warm, friendly and helpful. Meg was our first contact on the dock; she checked us in, told us where everything was, wrote out directions and was an absolutely first class contact. The grounds, gardens, historic buildings are well tended and welcoming. They maintain two courtesy cars, one of which we borrowed to take the motor to Sheepscot Bay Boat Yard - where Carroll fixed it the same day - and to Bath for groceries. We did the laundry up, settled back in the charming Library - a fine old cottage with dark wood beams, comfy chairs and shelves filled with books to enjoy (take one/leave one) and wifi connection. On the dock, we met Scott - the chef - who told us about the lobster special he was running that night and encouraged us to dine at the Ospery. Service there was expert, food was good, and we had a pleasant chat with the man who runs it - never did get his name.

All the boaters we met were equally enthusiastic - and the good feeling generated here seemed to expand to all our encounters.


Comments
Vessel Name: Madcap
Vessel Make/Model: Bayfield 36
Hailing Port: Halifax, Nova Scotia
Crew: James D Bissell (Jim) and Elizabeth Lusby (Beth)
About: Beth and Jim have spent several winters sailing southern waters on s/v Madcap. They love Halifax in the summer, but loved to spend the winters exploring warmer places - the Bahamas, Cuba, Mexico, Guatemala, Belize, Honduras.
Extra:
The Madcap crew left Ottawa in 2007 to go sailing in the Bahamas. After a highly successful year, they returned to Canada, settled in Halifax, Nova Scotia, and in the fall of 2009 they left to do it again! Journey #3 (2010/11) took them back to the Bahamas and then on to Cuba for several weeks [...]
Social:
Madcap's Photos - Mad Cap Sailing (Main)
19 Photos
Created 15 May 2017
20 Photos
Created 20 April 2017
62 Photos
Created 30 March 2017
11 Photos
Created 6 April 2016
13 Photos
Created 6 April 2016
5 Photos
Created 6 April 2016
6 Photos
Created 9 March 2016
11 Photos
Created 9 March 2016
23 Photos
Created 25 February 2016
18 Photos
Created 21 February 2016
31 Photos
Created 20 February 2016
4 Photos
Created 20 February 2016
20 Photos
Created 19 February 2016
7 Photos
Created 9 February 2016
51 Photos
Created 24 November 2015
12 Photos
Created 28 October 2015
16 Photos
Created 9 October 2015
24 Photos
Created 3 December 2013
our Oct/Nov 2013 trip to New Zealand
36 Photos
Created 22 November 2013
9 Photos
Created 20 January 2013
Guatemala pics starting Nov 22, 2012
43 Photos
Created 6 December 2012
54 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 8 November 2012
trip to Zion National Park and Bryce Canyon National Park (via Las Vegas)
23 Photos
Created 4 November 2012
20 Photos
Created 1 November 2012
18 Photos
Created 12 February 2012
43 Photos
Created 29 January 2012
62 Photos
Created 19 May 2011
21 Photos
Created 19 May 2011
76 Photos
Created 19 May 2011
8 Photos
Created 19 May 2011