Bookmark and Share
just sailing
4 day trip to Mayor Island

John took some convincing that it was warm but once he was in he wouldn't get out.

Eggs on toast for tea and then outside to watch an amazing moon rise out of the ocean. It was vivid orange and seemed to erupt out of the sea..

Off to bed to dream of fish and spinnaker...

4 day trip to Mayor Island

We found Southeast Bay right where I thought it was and motored in to within about 50 meters of the beach and anchored in 6 meters of water, the bay was idyllic, native bush and bird life all around us.

I went over the side and had a look for the lure that had been dragging out behind us until we turned around to ancore, I found it wound around the propeller, I got that free and then enjoyed floating in 19.5 degree C water, watching fishes and the world go by.

4 day trip to Mayor Island

About 12:30pm still 10 miles from Mayor, a front arrived from behind us the wind went from 5 to 25 knots in about 1 second, that was all a bit much for the spinnaker and the top and bottom parted company with each other.

A bit of a frantic moment while the bottom half was retrieved and the headsail was set, the 25knt winds stayed with us all the way to Mayor so the second half of the trip didn't take nearly as long as the first.

John found the bean bag and settled down for a snooze while I kept us pointing at Mayor, the GPS kept us up to date on where we were at and it was a nice boisterous sail down wind.

4 day trip to Mayor Island

Set sail about 7:30am, not the 20 - 25knt south easterlies predicted, instead 5 - 10 knt southerlies. But still a lovely morning, outgoing tide and all was good with the world.

As we left he harbour it seemed we were not going to get very far as the wind was very light and we decided to head for Mayor Island as that is about 20 nautical miles away.

John put the spinnaker up and we were on our way.

Thistle Down was behaving beautifully and we were having a wonderful sail, the sun was shining and the sky was clear.

4 day trip to Mayor Island
17/04/2011, Bay of Plenty

Monday 17th April, John and I spent a leisurely day in Tauranga looking around the shops and visitng the art museum, then we went to the supermarket to stock up on supplies before heading out to the boat. Arrived on 'Thistle Down' at about 4pm. Put all the provisions away and settled in for the evening there was a fantastic full moon over Motuhoa Is.

Chicken curry and rice for dinner a bit of a read then off to sleep before our adventure begins.

to Fiji on E'eva
suva at last

The weather didn't change over night and we had some big swells pushing us along. E'eva got knocked over a couple of times but just shook herself off and carried on.
we got into Suva at about 8:30am and let customs know we were there, they were flat out dealing with a cruise ship and didn't get to us until 4pm. then 4 big island guys and a girl came onto our little boat, they asked us a few questions and the gave us our passes to go a shore...

next stop a beer at the suva yacht club

Newer ]  |  [ Older ]


Who: Steve and anyone who wants to come
Port: Tauranga
View Complete Profile »

Powered by SailBlogs