Cruising Santa Magdalena

25 January 2014 | Pelican Cays, Belize
18 March 2012 | Central Caribbean
23 May 2011 | North Atlantic
12 May 2011 | North Atlantic
06 May 2011 | South Atlantic
15 April 2011 | South Atlantic
14 April 2011 | South Atlantic
13 April 2011 | South Atlantic
20 February 2011 | South Atlantic
11 February 2011 | South Atlantic
07 February 2011 | South Atlantic
04 February 2011 | South Atlantic
27 January 2011 | South Atlantic
26 January 2011 | South Atlantic
21 January 2011 | South Atlantic
19 January 2011 | South Atlantic
17 January 2011 | South Atlantic
16 January 2011 | South Atlantic
15 January 2011 | South Atlantic
14 January 2011 | South Atlantic

Feels so good feeling good again

14 April 2011 | South Atlantic
Jamie
One week in and wow, what a difference there is between the beginning of this passage out of Cape Town vs leaving the Falkland Islands. First of all, we felt GOOD right out of the gate. The sea legs kicked in immediately even after 6 weeks of shore time in South Africa. The body remembers and I am grateful to have immediately felt like eating, reading, writing, cooking...all the things I enjoy on passage including just moving around the boat with ease. Next, consistent wind speed and direction means more consistent motion so we don't have to adjust to a new tack every other day. Since we are going downwind, the boat rolls from side to side but is more level so it's easier to get around. One of the nicest differences is how much WARMER it is and that we can finally go barefoot around the deck! The deck and cockpit are also much more inviting now that they aren't wet all the time and there is less chance that you are going to take a wave or sea spray in the face when you step out of the companionway. In fact, the companionway is open all the time. I don't even know where the hatch boards are that we used to seal up the entry against the cold and wet. Last passage, I spent hardly any time in the cockpit at night because of the cold. Now, I have our sky watching book out learning the constellations which I've never bothered to do before. It is a true joy. So, after a week in, the crew is more comfortable than ever on board and ready to let this one happen. I feel like our passage from the Falklands was an effort. A labor of love, but nonetheless we worked for it. This next passage is promising to offer the more leisurely side of sailing, perhaps. No one can say for certain what will happen at sea, but this trade winds passage from Cape Town to the Caribbean is the stuff of fables for sailors - pure bliss. It sure is starting out that way.
Comments
Vessel Name: Santa Magdalena
Vessel Make/Model: Baba 35
Hailing Port: Wilson WY
Crew: Casey and Jamie
About: Casey has been sailing the Santa Magdalena since 2003, starting from Annapolis, MD, through the Caribbean where he met Jamie in 2006 in Bonaire. Together, we have covered much of South America and Panama by land and by sea. And, the adventure continues...!

Who: Casey and Jamie
Port: Wilson WY