Magic Dragon Blog

Vessel Name: Magic Dragon
Vessel Make/Model: Tayana V42
Hailing Port: Deltaville, Va
Crew: Herb & Frank
Recent Blog Posts
12 May 2010

Fajardo, Puerto Rico to Beaufort, NC 1170 Nautical Miles

We had planned on leaving Tuesday around noon for the US, but the last minute errands on Monday took longer than anticipated (as usual), and the trip up the mast Frank put off until Tuesday morning revealed a couple of things that needed fixing. By the time we got everything finished we were both pretty [...]

09 May 2010

El Yunque

We were pleasantly surprised when we woke up to clear skies at the marina. The peaks of El Yunque, the only rain forest in the US National Forest system, were mostly clear, with a few clouds around; a big improvement over yesterdays monsoon.

08 May 2010

Costco Day

We went into Carolina, a suburb of San Juan to go to Costco to stock up on stuff for the trip home. We were warned about the traffic, but figured on a Saturday afternoon, how bad could it be?

07 May 2010

Bacardi Rum Factory

We slept in, checked out of the hotel, ate an early lunch in Condado, and then drove over to the Bacardi Rum Factory for the tour and free drinks. The scale of the factory is huge, producing 100,000 gallons of run a day. The our isn't really a tour, it's more of a film/multimedia thing. How they make [...]

06 May 2010

Camuy Caves and Areciba Observatory

We got up, ate breakfast, and hit the road westward, bound for the Camuy Caverns Park. It's about 40 miles from San Juan. The caverns and caves were formed long ago by the Camuy River, part of which flows underground through the limestone rock. The caverns were spectacular, with huge stalactites, stalagmites, [...]

05 May 2010

Old San Juan

We went into San Juan about 930am, timing our arrival to avoid rush hour. The traffic wasn't that bad, and we found the parking lot in Old San Juan easily.

Culebra!

26 April 2010
Walked over to the Culebra airport this morning to check in to Puerto Rico. We should have researched a bit long as we could have done it all online, but it was pretty painless at the airport and we now do not have to check in when we hit the continental US so that is good.

After checking in we walk about 2 miles to Flamenco Beach on the north side of Culebra. We were starving when we first got there and ate lunch right away. Herb had a burger and Frank had a Cubano. We probably should have had something more Latin, but we were lazy and hungry.

We went swimming at the beach and walked the whole length of Flamenco Beach. the West side of the beach has a couple of rusting out US tanks that were left over from when Culebra (at least this part of the island) was used as a US Navy bombing practice area. The waves were pretty big as it faces north and there is a pretty good north swell running right now.. As we were hanging out at the beach we met a guy that was here vacationing here that invited us to go to another beach on the Northeast side of the island, Zoni Beach. The waves were even bigger here as there was no reef protecting it, but it was also a beautiful beach!

Aftwards, we checked out the Dinghy Dock Restaurant/Bar for a couple of beers and then back to the boat for dinner.

We may or may not move outside the Ensanada Honda (deep inlet) to anchor in some other anchorages inside the reefs here at Culebra tomorrow. We will see.
Comments

About & Links

SailBlogs Friends
Safari Tu