Magic Dragon Blog

Vessel Name: Magic Dragon
Vessel Make/Model: Tayana V42
Hailing Port: Deltaville, Va
Crew: Herb & Frank
Recent Blog Posts
12 May 2010

Fajardo, Puerto Rico to Beaufort, NC 1170 Nautical Miles

We had planned on leaving Tuesday around noon for the US, but the last minute errands on Monday took longer than anticipated (as usual), and the trip up the mast Frank put off until Tuesday morning revealed a couple of things that needed fixing. By the time we got everything finished we were both pretty [...]

09 May 2010

El Yunque

We were pleasantly surprised when we woke up to clear skies at the marina. The peaks of El Yunque, the only rain forest in the US National Forest system, were mostly clear, with a few clouds around; a big improvement over yesterdays monsoon.

08 May 2010

Costco Day

We went into Carolina, a suburb of San Juan to go to Costco to stock up on stuff for the trip home. We were warned about the traffic, but figured on a Saturday afternoon, how bad could it be?

07 May 2010

Bacardi Rum Factory

We slept in, checked out of the hotel, ate an early lunch in Condado, and then drove over to the Bacardi Rum Factory for the tour and free drinks. The scale of the factory is huge, producing 100,000 gallons of run a day. The our isn't really a tour, it's more of a film/multimedia thing. How they make [...]

06 May 2010

Camuy Caves and Areciba Observatory

We got up, ate breakfast, and hit the road westward, bound for the Camuy Caverns Park. It's about 40 miles from San Juan. The caverns and caves were formed long ago by the Camuy River, part of which flows underground through the limestone rock. The caverns were spectacular, with huge stalactites, stalagmites, [...]

05 May 2010

Old San Juan

We went into San Juan about 930am, timing our arrival to avoid rush hour. The traffic wasn't that bad, and we found the parking lot in Old San Juan easily.

What is that NOISE????!!!

02 May 2010
Woke up at 3am to hard rain, thunder, and lightening. The first lightening we have seen since November~. It continued off and on until about noon. We probably got close to 4" of rain. We had decided the day before to go to Mamacita's for breakfast and bloody marys, so we took advantage of a break in the rain to go to ashore. as soon as we got there it started raining again, so the 6 or 7 customers all hudled under the only part of the tin shed roof that wan't leaking.

We had a very good breakfast and drinks, and chatted with tourists from California who were on a captained charter from P.R. The boats captain, Tony, told us that if we needed anything while we were in P.R. - a ride, bail, anything, just call him. Of course he never gave us his phone number (nor did we ask), but it was a nice thought anyway.

We went back to to Mamacitas in the afternoon because Herb had forgotten to buy th t-shirt he wanted when we were there in the orning. We had a couple of drinks and talked to a guy named Chuck, whome we had met at another drinking establishment earlier in the week. Today is Chuck's 74th birthday, and a group of ex-patriots got together to celebrate it as they always do.

Chuck had gotten one of those battery powered remore control helicopters as a gift from one of the other old guys, and was telling all about flying it. The only place big enough indoors was the half finished community center/movie theatre building. It's apparently been under construction for 6 or 7 years. Anyway, it was great fun talking to them - they've all been living herre for at least 20 years.
Comments

About & Links

SailBlogs Friends
Safari Tu