Magic Dragon Blog

Vessel Name: Magic Dragon
Vessel Make/Model: Tayana V42
Hailing Port: Deltaville, Va
Crew: Herb & Frank
Recent Blog Posts
12 May 2010

Fajardo, Puerto Rico to Beaufort, NC 1170 Nautical Miles

We had planned on leaving Tuesday around noon for the US, but the last minute errands on Monday took longer than anticipated (as usual), and the trip up the mast Frank put off until Tuesday morning revealed a couple of things that needed fixing. By the time we got everything finished we were both pretty [...]

09 May 2010

El Yunque

We were pleasantly surprised when we woke up to clear skies at the marina. The peaks of El Yunque, the only rain forest in the US National Forest system, were mostly clear, with a few clouds around; a big improvement over yesterdays monsoon.

08 May 2010

Costco Day

We went into Carolina, a suburb of San Juan to go to Costco to stock up on stuff for the trip home. We were warned about the traffic, but figured on a Saturday afternoon, how bad could it be?

07 May 2010

Bacardi Rum Factory

We slept in, checked out of the hotel, ate an early lunch in Condado, and then drove over to the Bacardi Rum Factory for the tour and free drinks. The scale of the factory is huge, producing 100,000 gallons of run a day. The our isn't really a tour, it's more of a film/multimedia thing. How they make [...]

06 May 2010

Camuy Caves and Areciba Observatory

We got up, ate breakfast, and hit the road westward, bound for the Camuy Caverns Park. It's about 40 miles from San Juan. The caverns and caves were formed long ago by the Camuy River, part of which flows underground through the limestone rock. The caverns were spectacular, with huge stalactites, stalagmites, [...]

05 May 2010

Old San Juan

We went into San Juan about 930am, timing our arrival to avoid rush hour. The traffic wasn't that bad, and we found the parking lot in Old San Juan easily.

Costco Day

08 May 2010
We went into Carolina, a suburb of San Juan to go to Costco to stock up on stuff for the trip home. We were warned about the traffic, but figured on a Saturday afternoon, how bad could it be?

The answer is HORRIBLE! It was the day before Mother's Day, which is a huge holiday down here (Latin culture and all), so everybody was out shopping for Mama. Throw in huge rainstorms, flooding, and standing water on the roads everywhere, and it was a mess.

Navigating here is next to impossible. Maybe 10% of the streets have signs, so unless you're on a main road, there is no way to know where you are. We had instructions from the Costco website on how to find the store, but when we finally found the street we were supposed to turn on, it looked like it dead ended into a car wash, so we passed it by. We did a big loop through a residential/commercial/industrial neighborhood and decided to take one more shot at finding it by going up an exit ramp onto another highway so that we could see over the building on the road we WERE on. As soon as we got to the top of the ramp, we saw it right where it was supposed to be. The road we thought dead ended into the care wash, actually continued on into the Costco parking lot.

Of course, as soon as we parked the car, it started raining hard. Why didn't we bring an umbrella again? The lot was packed, the store was packed, and because of the rain, a line of people waiting for it to stop so they could leave, stretched back to the cash registers inside.

The store was very nece, bigger than the one we go to in Richmond, VA, and we managed to get everything we needed (and then some) and out in about an hour. They even had the Ron del Barrilito rum Frank wanted for pretty cheap; so we bought a case.

Shopping done, we hit the road home. Traffic was still bad, but at least we knew where we were going this time. The flooding around Rio Grande had gotten worse, but the rain was slowing down some. It still took us 1.5 hours to get back to Fajardo. It never even rained at the marina. After unpacking, repacking, and storing the groceries, we went back up to Luquillo to have dinner at another of the Kioscas. After looking around, we decided on a place called Congas, and had and excellent meal at a very reasonable price.

We walked down to El Jefe for a night cap; they had a very generous pour of Ron del Barrilito for $4 and talked to the owner/bartender. He's a gringo who moved down here for a job developing golf courses and grew to hate the job, so he opened the burger shack. We enjoyed chatting with hi, he is a super nice guy. We noticed a sing on the wall promoting BBQ ribs on Sundays, so we promised him we would be back for the ribs tomorrow after hiking in the El Yunque rain forest. He said to get there early before they ran out, but that if we got there before 8pm, we should be ok.
Comments

About & Links

SailBlogs Friends
Safari Tu