Malibu

24 August 2015
29 June 2015
12 June 2015
12 May 2015
20 December 2014
11 December 2014
29 October 2014
11 October 2014
08 October 2014
17 September 2014
02 September 2014
24 June 2014
13 June 2014
06 June 2014
06 June 2014
06 June 2014
28 May 2014
14 May 2014

En vacances en France

28 July 2013
Andrew
We stayed at Port Medoc, near Bordeaux, for 18 nights! The weather was just perfect, bit too hot to do anything much in the middle of the day, but often enough breeze to be comfortable in the shade and lovely into the late evening; never needed a jumper or fleece the whole time!
The marina facilities were outstanding, the staff helpful. They did an attractive deal on the marina fee as well.
There is a local village, Le Verdon-sur-mer with a beach onto the river estuary but also a short walk over the dunes, miles of beach looking onto the sea. This beach pretty well stretches south 130 miles to the Spanish border! We were swimming every day at beach or in the marina. The whole area is beautifully kept, a sleepy French treasure with many holiday homes. We hired a bike and took turns to explore the dedicated cycle tracks through the woods, but also found the motorists on the roads highly sympathetic to cyclists.
As expected the local restaurants were excellent and we got into a habit of getting our freshly baked bread from one each morning and cycled or walked to the supermarket for food and excellent local wine.
We joked that this spell was our "holiday" within a holiday, much needed to recharge our batteries and warm up.
Only "work" we could claim to have done was to the boat steering. This had always been a bit sticky when it gets hot. Now in a permanently hot climate it was almost seized up, so over a couple of days we disassembled the binnacle and cables reamed out the bushes, which I had had manufactured a few years ago, thankfully this seems to have been successful.
Vaila also took to swimming on a daily basis, latterly just launching herself off the pontoon when too hot. Yvonne amused the locals by taking her for a swim on the lead so we could reel her in if any motorboats came near.
I was keeping an eye on the weather for the next step South which would be an overnight affair 160 miles to Bilbao but truth is it was hard to find a reason to leave.
Comments
Vessel Name: Malibu
Vessel Make/Model: Oyster 406
Hailing Port: Troon
Crew: Andrew and Yvonne
About: Andrew and Yvonne have upped sticks and left Scotland in their floating home heading South plan flexible!
Extra: The purpose of our blog is primarily to keep family and friends informed of our whereabouts and activities. You can see our last reported position on "Maps" plotted on google earth.

Who: Andrew and Yvonne
Port: Troon