Malibu

24 August 2015
29 June 2015
12 June 2015
12 May 2015
20 December 2014
11 December 2014
29 October 2014
11 October 2014
08 October 2014
17 September 2014
02 September 2014
24 June 2014
13 June 2014
06 June 2014
06 June 2014
06 June 2014
28 May 2014
14 May 2014

Friendly folks

24 October 2013
Andrew
We put in a long day motoring with no wind. We stopped the engine to drift while we swam and had lunch to break the day. Mid October, mid twenties, blue sky, but the water a tad colder now!

Nazare was the destination. After 65 miles we made it in just before dark. The tumbled down lighthouse at the entry, testament to the violence of the Atlantic (see above), but it also summed up the state of the marina. We had to squeeze into a tight berth on a broken short pontoon for the night, helped by a kind Swiss couple.
The staff gave a friendly welcome as we paid to leave in the morning. We stopped into the small cafe catering for the fishermen which also had a small shop at the back. The owner was so keen to help us with fresh rolls and local wine in his remarkably well stocked shop. He then insisted that we stop for a complimentary coffee and had his wife bring us each a small home made custard tart, refusing payment. A genuine friendly gesture, more common off the tourist trail!
The next step down the coast was Peniche, we managed a good motorsail to arrive mid afternoon. There were no spaces on the pontoon in the harbour but we were delighted to see our Dutch friends Jenita, Higo and 2 yr old Vera, who encouraged us to raft up alongside their steel ketch. Jenita had bought me whisky in Lidl in Vigo as a thank you for the lift in the car, but we had no chance to try it out! Here we had them on board to sample and catch up on their travels. Not before Portuguese customs checked over our papers. Lovely guy, more interested in telling us about the big surfing event on the beach and warning of late night noisy music to come, than what we might be smuggling!
Our little party was soon joined by a German couple from "Spica" a new Bavaria that we had met in Porto. They were taking a sabbatical in their 30's. Already this year, since leaving Germany, they have visited Sweden and Norway before crossing the North Sea, transiting the Caledonian and Crinan Canals and then crossed Biscay! .....they were able to tell us that Scotland is beautiful and the weather this summer was great!!! ....Like many of the others we are meeting they have plans to cross the Atlantic. We have been very fortunate to meet such interesting and spirited people so far.
Later we had a walk round Peniche, really nice wee place. We sought out the watchman to pay our small fee in the morning before departure noting that a couple of boats had sneaked in late and departed early to avoid a charge - who are you kidding? if you don't want to pay use your anchor!
Comments
Vessel Name: Malibu
Vessel Make/Model: Oyster 406
Hailing Port: Troon
Crew: Andrew and Yvonne
About: Andrew and Yvonne have upped sticks and left Scotland in their floating home heading South plan flexible!
Extra: The purpose of our blog is primarily to keep family and friends informed of our whereabouts and activities. You can see our last reported position on "Maps" plotted on google earth.

Who: Andrew and Yvonne
Port: Troon