Malibu

24 August 2015
29 June 2015
12 June 2015
12 May 2015
20 December 2014
11 December 2014
29 October 2014
11 October 2014
08 October 2014
17 September 2014
02 September 2014
24 June 2014
13 June 2014
06 June 2014
06 June 2014
06 June 2014
28 May 2014
14 May 2014

Hi Costa Marinas!/?

13 June 2014
Andrew
Full of tax free fuel and Bacardi we left Gibraltar behind stopping to anchor for the night in the lea of the breakwater at Duquesa before going into nearby Estepona marina in the morning. We were prepared for the marina prices to escalate now we were on the Costa del Sol. The blow was softened with a complimentary bottle of wine. In fairness the free wi-fi actually worked, and the toilets were the cleanest we've seen, so they were trying hard although double the price of La Linea and most Atlantic marinas we have been to.
Estepona was of particular interest since my brother Stewart's family had holidayed nearby for a number of years. As we explored we could imagine John and Kim enjoying the beach.
Emma and Sean caught up with us again before returning to the real world having enjoyed a couple of days chilling around Tarifa.
We chose to leave the popular resorts of Marbella, Fuengirola, Torremolinos Malaga etc. in our wake and anchored for two nights in the bay pictured above, just outside Marina Del Este.
We shared the bay with one other boat the first night. The Spanish yachtsman watching us survey the anchorage volunteered advice, pointing to rocks to be avoided, concluding by saying in difficult English "Although I am Spanish I am still good person"... Why would we assume anything else?
We were in 10 metres of clear water filled with fish. Scuba divers checked them out and explored the caves from numerous RIB's or just walking in off the beach. We swam first thing in the morning and again throughout the day to cool off - Fantastic!!
Like all the anchorages on this coast however it was subject to swell and we did have a couple of disturbed nights, rolling when the breeze dropped.
We had motor-sailed most of the way along the coast with lighter winds than predicted right behind us, but also waves, which were far bigger than any logic... up to1.5m wave heights (3m tall) from nowhere, we expected Atlantic swell, but Med swell is clearly going to take some getting used to?
The next night we anchored off Adra harbour before entering Almerimar marina. It is a major "cruisers marina". A huge modern development of apartments, shops and restaurants based around the boats. The big attraction, the cost- kept to Portuguese prices! Very popular for overwintering and a possible option for us to leave the boat in a few weeks when we return to Scotland . As well as catching up with family and friends, we are looking forward to working for a few weeks at the Commonwealth Games and then there's the festival in Edinburgh, so a good time to leave the Med to its hottest and most hectic spell.
Comments
Vessel Name: Malibu
Vessel Make/Model: Oyster 406
Hailing Port: Troon
Crew: Andrew and Yvonne
About: Andrew and Yvonne have upped sticks and left Scotland in their floating home heading South plan flexible!
Extra: The purpose of our blog is primarily to keep family and friends informed of our whereabouts and activities. You can see our last reported position on "Maps" plotted on google earth.

Who: Andrew and Yvonne
Port: Troon