Following the Moon

23 April 2017 | Somewhere in the Sea of Cortez
12 March 2017 | Punta de Mita
24 February 2017 | La Cruz de Huanacaxtle
16 February 2017 | somewhere between Tenacatita and Puerto Vallarta
03 February 2017 | Banderas Bay
01 January 2017 | Mazatlan, Mexico
09 December 2016 | Marina Mazatlan
27 November 2016 | Marina Mazatlan
22 November 2016
19 November 2016
15 November 2016
14 November 2016 | Still in CDA
09 November 2016

Baja California

23 April 2017 | Somewhere in the Sea of Cortez
Okay, so I lied. We didn't check in when we got back to the big city. There's always just too much going on. Not that that's a bad thing!

We motored from La Cruz to Isla Isabel, stopping in Chacala and San Blas along the way. Met new friends and old in the marina in San Blas and toured the fort perched high on the hill. Chacala is a small beach town, but there was cold beer and delicious food, not to mention a stunning retreat center, Mar de Jade.

Isla Isabel is known as Mexico's Galapagos, a tiny island that has been named a National Heritage site. Scores of frigates and boobies populate the island; you can walk right up to them, though they will squawk at you. We respected their space, and watched from a distance - but not a very far distance! We heard tell of giant iguanas, but the birds didn't want us walking to that part of the island, so we have to believe the reports. From there, it was an overnight trip to Mazatlan. The stars were amazing, with no ambient light to dull them.

We spent a week in Mazatlan, connecting with friends, buying provisions, and planning the next part of the journey. While watching Gonzaga play basketball in the NCAA Men's Basketball tournament, of course! .

Then it was across the Sea of Cortez to Baja California. Friends from Idaho have built a house in a small town north of San Juan de Cabo, so we spent a few days with them, enjoying their peaceful casa.

From their, our paths diverged. Beth flew to Florida to spend a few weeks visiting friends and favorite places, while John continued exploring Baja. He wandered up the coast, stopping in Bahia de los Suenos and Espiritu Santos on his way to La Paz, where he met friends Dylan and Megan, and his brother Chris.

They've been traveling all week out of cell range, but should arrive in Loreto today. Friends head home, and John starts wrapping up his winter in Mexico. Then it's home to Idaho for the season, to enjoy the beauty of Coeur d'Alene in the summer.

Thanks for checking in! We'll do our best to post again before leaving Mexico and heading home.
Comments
Vessel Name: Mangata
Vessel Make/Model: 1988 Hunter
Hailing Port: Mazatlan, Sinaloa, Mexico
Crew: John and Beth