MangoandMe

14 December 2012
30 June 2012 | ASCENSION ISLAND
30 June 2012 | ASCENSION ISLAND
04 June 2012
28 May 2012 | St Helena, South Atlantic Ocean
28 May 2012 | St Helena, South Atlantic Ocean
25 May 2012 | Riviera Beach, Florida
23 May 2012 | Riviera Marina, Riviera Beach FL
23 May 2012 | Riviera Beach Marina, Riviera Beach, Florida
19 May 2012 | En route to Riviera Beach, Florida
18 May 2012 | En route to Riviera Beach, Florida
17 May 2012 | En route to Riviera Beach, Florida
16 May 2012 | En route to Riviera Beach, Florida
15 May 2012 | En route to Riviera Beach, Florida
14 May 2012 | En route to Florida
13 May 2012 | Destination:Riviera Beach Marina, Riviera Beach, Florida
12 May 2012 | Destination:Florida
11 May 2012 | On the way to the Caribbean

Daily Log: THE SOUNDS OF SAIL

31 December 2011 | Between Galapagos and Marquesas
david
The other night from a relatively deep sleep, I suddenly awakened. At the time, not realizing why, I left the berth and entered the cockpit to find that the boat had changed tacks, had changed its angle relative to the prevailing wind/wave such that instead of the wind coming over my side it was now coming over my back. 'Alright', I thought, and after admonishing the failed autopilot and putting Shearwater back on track, went back to sleep.

Later upon further reflection, I wondered what had in fact awakened me? Something had beckoned me, had broken some consistency in my mind upon which I relied for peace of mind and hence sleep - but what was it?

And then, in an instant and as suddenly as I had awakened that night, I realized what it was. It was a change in two things. One, it was the change in the undulations of the boat - ie waves hitting the side and waves hitting the back yield a totally different motion.

But, and more interestingly, it was an utter and dramatic change in sound. With wind and waves coming across your side, there is a sound associated with that - rather sharp and hard. When you change that wind/wave angle to coming over your back, (the wind/wave/boat now are all going in the same direction) the meeting is more gentle and hence a totally different sound. Having been a orchestral conductor most of my life, I was always in training to sharpen my perception of sound - to hear changes in the orchestral texture at any given moment and to correct modify or encourage those changes. Or, to put it another way, any change in sound from what I was expecting needed quick and immediate attention.

Here too aboard a boat, when one goes into a sleep, one leaves a window open through which comes a particular and expected sound associated with a particular wind and wave direction relative to the boat. Any change in that relativity, any change in that 'sound of sail' and one is alerted and awakened.

Example: 1. Sounds with wind and waves coming onto the side of the boat: short, loud and sharp, staccato. 2. Sounds with wind and waves coming onto the back of the boat: smooth, quiet and legato.

It was this change from staccato to legato that awakened me that night.
Comments
Vessel Name: Shearwater
Vessel Make/Model: CONSER 47 Racer/Cruiser Catamaran
Hailing Port: West Palm Beach Florida
Crew: MANGO AND ME
About:
Mango is a smart, funny, sensitive and totally unique wheaton/sheepdog. . He is my partner on this patently undoglike voyage but remains cheerful about the whole affair. [...]
Extra: Shearwater is a 47 foot, very sleek and light catamaran. She is part of a fleet of 11 that were built - its a sister ship of Shearwater that holds the unofficial speed record. 31 knots! Of the this fleet, only one has flipped...so we are on the side of good odds!

Who: MANGO AND ME
Port: West Palm Beach Florida