MangoandMe

14 December 2012
30 June 2012 | ASCENSION ISLAND
30 June 2012 | ASCENSION ISLAND
04 June 2012
28 May 2012 | St Helena, South Atlantic Ocean
28 May 2012 | St Helena, South Atlantic Ocean
25 May 2012 | Riviera Beach, Florida
23 May 2012 | Riviera Marina, Riviera Beach FL
23 May 2012 | Riviera Beach Marina, Riviera Beach, Florida
19 May 2012 | En route to Riviera Beach, Florida
18 May 2012 | En route to Riviera Beach, Florida
17 May 2012 | En route to Riviera Beach, Florida
16 May 2012 | En route to Riviera Beach, Florida
15 May 2012 | En route to Riviera Beach, Florida
14 May 2012 | En route to Florida
13 May 2012 | Destination:Riviera Beach Marina, Riviera Beach, Florida
12 May 2012 | Destination:Florida
11 May 2012 | On the way to the Caribbean

LEAVING CAIRNS

18 July 2011 | CAIRNS, Australia Day 32
david
Its now late afternoon, Monday the 18th of July. And Im probably going to be heading out in the early morning, perhaps as early as 2 AM, headed for the very tip of Australia. Tomorrow's plans calls for either starting in the dead of night in order to make 100 miles to Cape Bedford before dark tomorrow. Or, head out at first light, head for a coral anchorage known as Low Isles only 30 miles ahead and hope I meet reasonable winds such that I can get Shearwater anchored.

This darned 'high' that has kept me here for over a week is apparently weakening and with it the winds. Unfortunately, right inline behind it is another. So Im going to take advantage of the classic marine 'weather window' and scadoodle - sounds Australian!

My plan calls for getting to the top in about a week with 4-7 stops in sometimes questionable anchorages on isolated islands, all part of the Great Barrier Reef. I have to be honest, this is not the leg Im looking forward to. Highish winds, bad anchorages and big wing-masted catamarans don't make for tranquility. But, I cant stay in Cairns forever and maybe this week is about as good as its going to get.

I will be traveling up the inner side of the Great Barrier Reef and, in fact, sharing it with the 'big boys' - it's a major shipping channel that takes them and me alike to the top and back. Navigationally, one has to be very awake, as the shipping channel is quite narrow at times and an oversight will put one on an unexpected island or reef rather quickly not to mention, staying on right side of the 'road'.

I will be reporting as I needle my way up this circuitous inner barrier reef channel. Now, as I look out my windows from the galley, Im heartened to see the winds, perhaps, only perhaps...slowing!
Comments
Vessel Name: Shearwater
Vessel Make/Model: CONSER 47 Racer/Cruiser Catamaran
Hailing Port: West Palm Beach Florida
Crew: MANGO AND ME
About:
Mango is a smart, funny, sensitive and totally unique wheaton/sheepdog. . He is my partner on this patently undoglike voyage but remains cheerful about the whole affair. [...]
Extra: Shearwater is a 47 foot, very sleek and light catamaran. She is part of a fleet of 11 that were built - its a sister ship of Shearwater that holds the unofficial speed record. 31 knots! Of the this fleet, only one has flipped...so we are on the side of good odds!

Who: MANGO AND ME
Port: West Palm Beach Florida