MangoandMe

14 December 2012
30 June 2012 | ASCENSION ISLAND
30 June 2012 | ASCENSION ISLAND
04 June 2012
28 May 2012 | St Helena, South Atlantic Ocean
28 May 2012 | St Helena, South Atlantic Ocean
25 May 2012 | Riviera Beach, Florida
23 May 2012 | Riviera Marina, Riviera Beach FL
23 May 2012 | Riviera Beach Marina, Riviera Beach, Florida
19 May 2012 | En route to Riviera Beach, Florida
18 May 2012 | En route to Riviera Beach, Florida
17 May 2012 | En route to Riviera Beach, Florida
16 May 2012 | En route to Riviera Beach, Florida
15 May 2012 | En route to Riviera Beach, Florida
14 May 2012 | En route to Florida
13 May 2012 | Destination:Riviera Beach Marina, Riviera Beach, Florida
12 May 2012 | Destination:Florida
11 May 2012 | On the way to the Caribbean

MY LAST SWIM-CROCODILES!

19 July 2011 | Low Isles inside the Great Barrier Reef
david
Im going to go through a bit of withdrawal after I leave the present anchorage, one known to be 'relatively safe' and ok for... a 'last swim'. And all on account of ole 'Salty'. He is described as, variously 'cunning' 'patient' 'quiet' 'deadly' and the originator of the 'death roll'. I am of course talking of the famous Australian salt-water crocodile. So, from here to the top and all along the northern coast the following descriptions apply and all scream DO NOT SWIM!!

"They have no fear of humans as they are protected and have not been shot at for over 20 years. DO NOT set up any sort of routine(ie they will wait for you!)DO NOT throw scraps overboard. DO NOT clean fish on board. DO NOT leave a dinghy hanging out the back. The crocs seem to have a love affair with outboard motors and rubber ducks in particular. A torch shone around at night will show a number of red dots...they are the eyes of crocodiles watching. (I will try that tonight)They will watch for some time before doing anything(Yikes! like what?) They have been known to attack dinghies. When in the dinghy, I always go armed. There is a false belief that crocodiles cannot run or jump(I love this one)Believe this and you WILL BE DINNER!"

Hmmm...well, I was going to have a good 'last' swim today but on second thought... maybe I wont for it may indeed be my 'last'. Boy, this Australia! Oh! and PS: there's a creature even MORE deadly .....the JELLY FISH! These innocuous looking forms, if met, apparently make one wish that one had been quickly eaten by a crocodile.

And where am having all these deadly thoughts? Im in the lee of two small islands called Low Isles, a few miles off the mainland. I left Cairns on a lovely moonlit calm night, that allowed an easy exit from the Marina. And for the first time in many a day, a slow relaxed sunny trip to where I fiind myself tonight ....thinking of crocodiles.
Comments
Vessel Name: Shearwater
Vessel Make/Model: CONSER 47 Racer/Cruiser Catamaran
Hailing Port: West Palm Beach Florida
Crew: MANGO AND ME
About:
Mango is a smart, funny, sensitive and totally unique wheaton/sheepdog. . He is my partner on this patently undoglike voyage but remains cheerful about the whole affair. [...]
Extra: Shearwater is a 47 foot, very sleek and light catamaran. She is part of a fleet of 11 that were built - its a sister ship of Shearwater that holds the unofficial speed record. 31 knots! Of the this fleet, only one has flipped...so we are on the side of good odds!

Who: MANGO AND ME
Port: West Palm Beach Florida